It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:39 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 290 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 20  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: Recently found ANH Vader
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:40 am 

You can still get the "clips" seen on this helmet in abundance... not sure the CB holders are the same piece of hardware.

JB-Props wrote:
- Breaker 1 9 -

Those mounting bracket are from old CB radios. You mount them onto the dash of a car and it hods the receiver. Saw many of them in the late 70's and 80's, but now with cell phones, they're all but extinct. (RIP)

I have a fun theory with the damage on the dome. It's the helmet that flew off during the lightsaber duel with Ben. :toothy

- See y'all on the flip-flop -

- We gone 10/4! -

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:31 am 
Site Admin

Zuka Zamamee wrote:
BTW, I have some of those mounting brackets, and the holes are (left to right side) 1.3" apart (center to center); and (front to back) 1" apart (center to center); which don't line up with the holes on the platic 3M snaps.

Thanks for the measurements. :thumbsup

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:08 pm 

Thanks Jez!
Looks like a very nice helmet, and I would love to see more of it...
And if you can should the other pieces that would be excellent as well, the cod sounds very interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:05 pm 

The "clips" are called interlocking flush mounts and can be found at any hardware store.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:19 pm 
Random avatar

Thanks for the pics Jez :)

Am I correct in saying the casting is white with a brown primer then layers of thick black paint?

It looks like below the mounting mechanism is brown although it could be staining from the rusty metal? Also does this mean the helmet has been painted after the mounting mechanism was in place or has the compression of the mount on the paint lifted the paint when removed?

Doesn't Jason Joiner have a helmet he claims to be ANH (or at least production used at some point) that has brown on it as well?

Either way it is an interesting piece.

That paint is incredibly thick I would think obscuring a lot of detail.

Cheers Chris

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:20 am 

It looks like it was painted before the mount was added. It looks like light grey primer with layers of dark green paint.

Joiner has an ESB Vader but I've not seen his ANH. Maybe it's a DP special?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:06 am 

True dat. I verified they are in fact called flush mount brackets and the hardware store I went to had them in abundance. Two different sizes though...

Vadermonkey wrote:
The "clips" are called interlocking flush mounts and can be found at any hardware store.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:29 pm 

I'd like to know more about all this. What's happened to Jez?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:42 am 

Zuka Zamamee wrote:
I'd like to know more about all this. What's happened to Jez?

I think he is still on vacation.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:35 pm 
Site Admin

Blasted summer holiday... :banger

:lol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:03 pm 
Random avatar

I was going to ask about the widow's peak too. I'm not aware of any version of the ANH that didn't have the indented "Y". Even the stunts would have it, because they were from the same molds... correct?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:08 pm 

Hi guys - just back from Summer Holidays.

I'll get on to the owner about posting any additional pics of the costuming parts - and what he thinks the base colour of the helmet is.

Regarding the provenance of the helmet and parts - I agree there are fake B&N tags going around which is why some info was recently sent to Jason at the Prop Blog as he's become a bit of an expert in this area recently (yuou may have seen his blog on B&N tags). I get the impression he thinks its legit although clearly cant be 100% sure.

Whatever this is - its not a con. Its hard to say too much without revealing info I've been asked not to repeat, however the background behind its acquisition proved to me that it wasnt a con. I'm not trying to say its genuine since thats a TBD - it could just be a nice replica done some time in the eighties. However it seems to me that it's a tour suit - and therefore it leads the question as to how important a tour suit it is, and what its pedigree is since there's always been the belief that some of the SW tour suits were originally production (ifnot screen-used) pieces.

Cheers

Jez

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:10 pm 

Just checked my inbox to find the following photo.

before I went away I asked him to take a better pic with a front-on from distance of 7 feet - which is the amount I tend to do my SWHelmets photos.

I am stunned at this photo.

Given he knows I will be posting this he seems relaxed over the knowledge that the cape and shoulder armour was also included.

More as soon as I have it - note that I dont have any decent pics of the armour or cape on their own - and the capes DONT have the B&N tab - only the cod piece does.

Cheers

Jez

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:15 pm 

Very nice photo thanks to him and to you Jez for sharing it. Well it's an ANH so unless it's the original screen helmet that has been cleaned up and repainted I doubt it's screen-used. Of course stripping away the paint might indicate otherwise. However, the interior of the helmet is not like the original unless it was reworked as well. The only thing that really makes me doubt it's a screen helmet is that the mask is a tad smaller than the original. Since we have seen a photo of (what I believe at least) is the screen mask from Elstree Studios taken possibly later on and it has still the appropriate details, that speaks also against this being the screen helmet. The ESB poster appeared in 1979, so is this helmet that old? It's clearly from an authentic source, and I would think of it more as a promotional suit rather than a tour suit. I think Vader tour suits have quite some value, especially if they are accurate. I remember an ESB tour suit for sale that wasn't entirely accurate but still fetched a pretty penny. But yes establishing whether the suit parts are in any way carried over from production is the more important issue if it's clear that this is a promotional helmet. That armor is big....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:20 pm 
Site Admin

That really is a cool shot. Very ESB poster! :thumbsup

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 290 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 20  Next