It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:35 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 470 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 32  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:58 pm 

AnsonJames wrote:
I thought the same about the neckline.
I think the VP has been trimmed to the actual neckline whereas the TM neckline is 'untrimmed'.
You always add a little extra to the edges of anything when you're casting to ensure you don't have any dry laminate, etc.
Does the vent have fingerprints on it?
The VP does, could we do a CSI on it?

I once found a hair in the casting of my Golden Armor dome. I have enough genetic material with which to clone GA himself. But then I'd have to feed him and put him to work! :hehe-err

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:46 pm 

vadermania wrote:
I agree, this could look great.

Does anyone know if the ANH faceplate from GINO's ANH helmet is also a VP? If I remember correctly, he said in another thread that his faceplate had no tabs and he put original functioning tabs on his instead. His ANH helmet looks gorgeous, too.

GINO, would you chime in, please?

Tom

If I remember correctly, Gino stated that his faceplate came with tabs, but that he sanded them off to replace them with functional ones. I'm surprised he did since he is so anal about detail. As far as his faceplate being a VP, well I have my opinion about it. I will say this though, from the pics he posted there are 2 details on his ANH faceplate that are, interestingly enough, also on the VP and the TM. They are not details he added because it's actually a part of the casting. However, his faceplate lacks the same amount of detail that the TM has and is more in line with the VP. I also noticed that his ESB/ROTJ faceplates do not have the same two details.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:56 pm 

vadermania wrote:
Interestingly enough, I was told by Paul H. that he acquired the fourth pull from JN basically because he wanted to present a copy of it to Brian Muir as a gift, because Brian had no cast of his own work. According to Paul he paid big$$$ for it. Why, if they still own an original ANH Vader helmet (it was me who found the pics of the ANH Vader helmet in Pauls storage btw) do they have to buy the fourth pull then?

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I can only assume that Paul H. was sold on JN's story and couldn't tell the difference between what was fact and fiction.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:51 pm 

vadermania wrote:
Darth Karo wrote:
Thanks Tom and Hal for your input. Tom, I was going to clarify a few things about what was written, but you already did. There is fact mixed with fiction in regards to what JN wrote. I own a cast from that supposed original 4th pull and like you say there are differences from mine compared to the screen used helmet.

I also don't buy that Leornard's "reworked" vader is the subsequent version used for vader. Anyone who knows anything about OT vaders knows that there is no symmetry to them. ROTS is another story.

Interestingly enough, I was told by Paul H. that he acquired the fourth pull from JN basically because he wanted to present a copy of it to Brian Muir as a gift, because Brian had no cast of his own work. According to Paul he paid big$$$ for it. Why, if they still own an original ANH Vader helmet (it was me who found the pics of the ANH Vader helmet in Pauls storage btw) do they have to buy the fourth pull then?

Okay, back to the VP: Anson, is the faceplate you own painted or unpainted? If I compare the pics of your VP faceplate with my original TM faceplate, it looks like my TM faceplate has more surface detail which has been sanded away on the VP.

Tom

Well Paul H. is as full of BS as they come. I know Brian Muir and he has nothing to do with Paul and they've never talked about Vader. Paul got ripped off on something he's making up stories about this fourth pull. I've seen images of that helmet and yes it's like a GH so it might be from a DP mold but there's no way it's from the original mold. When people say oh this or that came from the original mold they don't even know what they are talking about in terms of what the original mold was or what the steps were in making the helmet. The original mold was destroyed right at the end of the production so DP didn't have access to it. And Paul H. doesn't own an original ANH helmet. His stories as he related to me and then what I heard he had told other people later on changed. The basis is that Norman got the helmet from Brian Muir and Muir never had a helmet or any props from SW and never sold anything to Paul H. Paul H. makes up these stories about props endlessly in order to resell them at inflated prices at auction using their Elstree Props name. Elstree Props has no affiliation with Elstree studios but they act like they are affiliated and use the Elstree name . Their tactics are fraudulent.

No reworked Vader helmet appeared onscreen. As Vadermania said the DP was just the basis for a commercial helmet project that never materialized...at least that's what the GH/Jeff helmet seems to be.

The Gino faceplate is not VP, not by a long shot.

Let's not get lost in semantics like what is ANH or ESB. The TM is from ESB, the VP is from ROTJ. But they are both from an ANH template.

And as I said before, the VP and TM have comparable details and sharpness except in the places where the VP has been cleaned up. The TM might be a hair sharper in places but surprisingly the VP is also a hair sharper in other places. Overall of course the TM has retained much more of the original details because it's ESB, not ROTJ era.

Last edited by SithLord on Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:56 pm 

Darth Karo wrote:

If I remember correctly, Gino stated that his faceplate came with tabs, but that he sanded them off to replace them with functional ones. I'm surprised he did since he is so anal about detail. As far as his faceplate being a VP, well I have my opinion about it. I will say this though, from the pics he posted there are 2 details on his ANH faceplate that are, interestingly enough, also on the VP and the TM. They are not details he added because it's actually a part of the casting. However, his faceplate lacks the same amount of detail that the TM has and is more in line with the VP. I also noticed that his ESB/ROTJ faceplates do not have the same two details.

I'm not sure about the details on Gino's faceplate. The three notches in the teeth don't look right somehow in their relative alignment and the position of the large sausage on the right side of the mouth looks off. Even the nosebridge notch looks too sharp...it's not supposed to be like a cutout, it's supposed to be a gradually sloped feature. It's easy to say yep there they are but to a trained eye even those details can be faked as they have been on the SPFX. There would be other details evident that are not on Gino's faceplate if the notches were that deep....the notch depth for example indicates lineage to some extent because a 20th C for example has much shallower notches as do ROTJ faceplates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:17 pm 
Random avatar
I don't have all day to dispute each individual statement I see being made here that I disagree with. I've disputed them in the past, but it seems that whoever repeats it the most wins which really sucks because it doesn't make things true. Problem is people (especially newer people) tend to believe what they read.
I'll just say that for the record, I disagree with 90% of what is being said in this discussion. If someone is interested in hearing what I have to say about vader helmets, they can speak directly with me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:20 pm 

AnsonJames wrote:
I thought the same about the neckline.
I think the VP has been trimmed to the actual neckline whereas the TM neckline is 'untrimmed'.
You always add a little extra to the edges of anything when you're casting to ensure you don't have any dry laminate, etc.
Does the vent have fingerprints on it?
The VP does, could we do a CSI on it?

Here you go - pic of the chin vent of the original paint-free TM faceplate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:22 pm 

GINO wrote:
I don't have all day to dispute each individual statement I see being made here that I disagree with. I've disputed them in the past, but it seems that whoever repeats it the most wins which really sucks because it doesn't make things true. Problem is people (especially newer people) tend to believe what they read.
I'll just say that for the record, I disagree with 90% of what is being said in this discussion. If someone is interested in hearing what I have to say about vader helmets, they can speak directly with me.

I am very interested to hear what you have to say, Gino. I like your helmet very much (as I have stated in my post), and I just wanted to know if your faceplate is a VP. That's basically all.

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:58 pm 

SithLord wrote:
The Gino faceplate is not VP, not by a long shot.

Ok, here is my long shot:

Here are Gino's ESB/ROTJ which incidently have similar details when compared to each other.

Oh and by the way, I didn't come onto the vader scene yesterday.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:12 pm 

vadermania wrote:
GINO wrote:

I am very interested to hear what you have to say, Gino. I like your helmet very much (as I have stated in my post), and I just wanted to know if your faceplate is a VP. That's basically all.

Tom

Silence...hmm, too bad. I thought it might have been possible to answer a simple question with a simple yes or no.

Sorry, I didn't intend to bomb this thread. I am only curious who's basing their ANH Vader display on the VP faceplate.

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:51 pm 

Darth Karo wrote:

I didn't say you did. But remember, the VP you are showing was my first pull. That dot you circle on the nail mark, for example, is a bubble in the resin that's unique to that pull. Just because it has those features doesn't mean it's a VP. Also, look at the line on the side of the U-shape on the nose...that sharp line on Gino's...doesn't match the same area on the VP which is not as angled. I did a comparison before which is on my home computer so I'll try to dig that up...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:57 pm 

The VP has the same filled vent as the TM - the slight fingerprint should be on the left hand side of the vent about 4.5 mm's down.

Image[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:09 pm 

For what it's worth (and going back to the previous discussion)
my SPFX(from 3 years ago) is really smaller than my DP deluxe and my GH ROTJ (and GH ANH dome).
I don't have a VP to compare yet but who knows.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:10 pm 

AnsonJames wrote:
The VP has the same filled vent as the TM - the slight fingerprint should be on the left hand side of the vent about 4.5 mm's down.

Yep, that's exactly where it is. AJ, would it be possible to post a pic of your VP chin vent?

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:12 pm 

SithLord wrote:
Darth Karo wrote:

That dot you circle on the nail mark, for example, is a bubble in the resin that's unique to that pull.

That bubble wasn't unique to your copy - it's on mine also.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 470 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 32  Next