It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:53 pm

All times are UTC


THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 470 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 32  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:58 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:46 pm
Posts: 5241
Location: San Jose, CA
AnsonJames wrote:
I thought the same about the neckline.
I think the VP has been trimmed to the actual neckline whereas the TM neckline is 'untrimmed'.
You always add a little extra to the edges of anything when you're casting to ensure you don't have any dry laminate, etc.
Does the vent have fingerprints on it?
The VP does, could we do a CSI on it?


I once found a hair in the casting of my Golden Armor dome. I have enough genetic material with which to clone GA himself. But then I'd have to feed him and put him to work! :hehe-err


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:46 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:26 am
Posts: 1239
vadermania wrote:
I agree, this could look great.

Does anyone know if the ANH faceplate from GINO's ANH helmet is also a VP? If I remember correctly, he said in another thread that his faceplate had no tabs and he put original functioning tabs on his instead. His ANH helmet looks gorgeous, too.

GINO, would you chime in, please?

Tom


If I remember correctly, Gino stated that his faceplate came with tabs, but that he sanded them off to replace them with functional ones. I'm surprised he did since he is so anal about detail. As far as his faceplate being a VP, well I have my opinion about it. I will say this though, from the pics he posted there are 2 details on his ANH faceplate that are, interestingly enough, also on the VP and the TM. They are not details he added because it's actually a part of the casting. However, his faceplate lacks the same amount of detail that the TM has and is more in line with the VP. I also noticed that his ESB/ROTJ faceplates do not have the same two details.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:56 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:26 am
Posts: 1239
vadermania wrote:
Interestingly enough, I was told by Paul H. that he acquired the fourth pull from JN basically because he wanted to present a copy of it to Brian Muir as a gift, because Brian had no cast of his own work. According to Paul he paid big$$$ for it. Why, if they still own an original ANH Vader helmet (it was me who found the pics of the ANH Vader helmet in Pauls storage btw) do they have to buy the fourth pull then?


Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I can only assume that Paul H. was sold on JN's story and couldn't tell the difference between what was fact and fiction.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:51 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:12 am
Posts: 3112
vadermania wrote:
Darth Karo wrote:
Thanks Tom and Hal for your input. Tom, I was going to clarify a few things about what was written, but you already did. There is fact mixed with fiction in regards to what JN wrote. I own a cast from that supposed original 4th pull and like you say there are differences from mine compared to the screen used helmet.

I also don't buy that Leornard's "reworked" vader is the subsequent version used for vader. Anyone who knows anything about OT vaders knows that there is no symmetry to them. ROTS is another story.


Interestingly enough, I was told by Paul H. that he acquired the fourth pull from JN basically because he wanted to present a copy of it to Brian Muir as a gift, because Brian had no cast of his own work. According to Paul he paid big$$$ for it. Why, if they still own an original ANH Vader helmet (it was me who found the pics of the ANH Vader helmet in Pauls storage btw) do they have to buy the fourth pull then?

Okay, back to the VP: Anson, is the faceplate you own painted or unpainted? If I compare the pics of your VP faceplate with my original TM faceplate, it looks like my TM faceplate has more surface detail which has been sanded away on the VP.

Tom



Well Paul H. is as full of BS as they come. I know Brian Muir and he has nothing to do with Paul and they've never talked about Vader. Paul got ripped off on something he's making up stories about this fourth pull. I've seen images of that helmet and yes it's like a GH so it might be from a DP mold but there's no way it's from the original mold. When people say oh this or that came from the original mold they don't even know what they are talking about in terms of what the original mold was or what the steps were in making the helmet. The original mold was destroyed right at the end of the production so DP didn't have access to it. And Paul H. doesn't own an original ANH helmet. His stories as he related to me and then what I heard he had told other people later on changed. The basis is that Norman got the helmet from Brian Muir and Muir never had a helmet or any props from SW and never sold anything to Paul H. Paul H. makes up these stories about props endlessly in order to resell them at inflated prices at auction using their Elstree Props name. Elstree Props has no affiliation with Elstree studios but they act like they are affiliated and use the Elstree name . Their tactics are fraudulent.

No reworked Vader helmet appeared onscreen. As Vadermania said the DP was just the basis for a commercial helmet project that never materialized...at least that's what the GH/Jeff helmet seems to be.

The Gino faceplate is not VP, not by a long shot.

Let's not get lost in semantics like what is ANH or ESB. The TM is from ESB, the VP is from ROTJ. But they are both from an ANH template.

And as I said before, the VP and TM have comparable details and sharpness except in the places where the VP has been cleaned up. The TM might be a hair sharper in places but surprisingly the VP is also a hair sharper in other places. Overall of course the TM has retained much more of the original details because it's ESB, not ROTJ era.


Last edited by SithLord on Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:56 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:12 am
Posts: 3112
Darth Karo wrote:

If I remember correctly, Gino stated that his faceplate came with tabs, but that he sanded them off to replace them with functional ones. I'm surprised he did since he is so anal about detail. As far as his faceplate being a VP, well I have my opinion about it. I will say this though, from the pics he posted there are 2 details on his ANH faceplate that are, interestingly enough, also on the VP and the TM. They are not details he added because it's actually a part of the casting. However, his faceplate lacks the same amount of detail that the TM has and is more in line with the VP. I also noticed that his ESB/ROTJ faceplates do not have the same two details.



I'm not sure about the details on Gino's faceplate. The three notches in the teeth don't look right somehow in their relative alignment and the position of the large sausage on the right side of the mouth looks off. Even the nosebridge notch looks too sharp...it's not supposed to be like a cutout, it's supposed to be a gradually sloped feature. It's easy to say yep there they are but to a trained eye even those details can be faked as they have been on the SPFX. There would be other details evident that are not on Gino's faceplate if the notches were that deep....the notch depth for example indicates lineage to some extent because a 20th C for example has much shallower notches as do ROTJ faceplates.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:17 pm 
Random avatar
I don't have all day to dispute each individual statement I see being made here that I disagree with. I've disputed them in the past, but it seems that whoever repeats it the most wins which really sucks because it doesn't make things true. Problem is people (especially newer people) tend to believe what they read.
I'll just say that for the record, I disagree with 90% of what is being said in this discussion. If someone is interested in hearing what I have to say about vader helmets, they can speak directly with me.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:20 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:24 pm
Posts: 361
Location: Berlin
AnsonJames wrote:
I thought the same about the neckline.
I think the VP has been trimmed to the actual neckline whereas the TM neckline is 'untrimmed'.
You always add a little extra to the edges of anything when you're casting to ensure you don't have any dry laminate, etc.
Does the vent have fingerprints on it?
The VP does, could we do a CSI on it?


Here you go - pic of the chin vent of the original paint-free TM faceplate.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:22 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:24 pm
Posts: 361
Location: Berlin
GINO wrote:
I don't have all day to dispute each individual statement I see being made here that I disagree with. I've disputed them in the past, but it seems that whoever repeats it the most wins which really sucks because it doesn't make things true. Problem is people (especially newer people) tend to believe what they read.
I'll just say that for the record, I disagree with 90% of what is being said in this discussion. If someone is interested in hearing what I have to say about vader helmets, they can speak directly with me.


I am very interested to hear what you have to say, Gino. I like your helmet very much (as I have stated in my post), and I just wanted to know if your faceplate is a VP. That's basically all.

Tom


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:58 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:26 am
Posts: 1239
SithLord wrote:
The Gino faceplate is not VP, not by a long shot.


Ok, here is my long shot:

Image

Here are Gino's ESB/ROTJ which incidently have similar details when compared to each other.

Image

Oh and by the way, I didn't come onto the vader scene yesterday.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:12 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:24 pm
Posts: 361
Location: Berlin
vadermania wrote:
GINO wrote:
I don't have all day to dispute each individual statement I see being made here that I disagree with. I've disputed them in the past, but it seems that whoever repeats it the most wins which really sucks because it doesn't make things true. Problem is people (especially newer people) tend to believe what they read.
I'll just say that for the record, I disagree with 90% of what is being said in this discussion. If someone is interested in hearing what I have to say about vader helmets, they can speak directly with me.


I am very interested to hear what you have to say, Gino. I like your helmet very much (as I have stated in my post), and I just wanted to know if your faceplate is a VP. That's basically all.

Tom


Silence...hmm, too bad. I thought it might have been possible to answer a simple question with a simple yes or no.

Sorry, I didn't intend to bomb this thread. I am only curious who's basing their ANH Vader display on the VP faceplate.

Tom


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:51 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:12 am
Posts: 3112
Darth Karo wrote:

Ok, here is my long shot:

Image

Oh and by the way, I didn't come onto the vader scene yesterday.



I didn't say you did. But remember, the VP you are showing was my first pull. That dot you circle on the nail mark, for example, is a bubble in the resin that's unique to that pull. Just because it has those features doesn't mean it's a VP. Also, look at the line on the side of the U-shape on the nose...that sharp line on Gino's...doesn't match the same area on the VP which is not as angled. I did a comparison before which is on my home computer so I'll try to dig that up...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:57 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:53 am
Posts: 251
The VP has the same filled vent as the TM - the slight fingerprint should be on the left hand side of the vent about 4.5 mm's down.

Image[/quote]


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:09 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:33 am
Posts: 117
For what it's worth (and going back to the previous discussion)
my SPFX(from 3 years ago) is really smaller than my DP deluxe and my GH ROTJ (and GH ANH dome).
I don't have a VP to compare yet but who knows.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:10 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:24 pm
Posts: 361
Location: Berlin
AnsonJames wrote:
The VP has the same filled vent as the TM - the slight fingerprint should be on the left hand side of the vent about 4.5 mm's down.


Yep, that's exactly where it is. AJ, would it be possible to post a pic of your VP chin vent?

Tom


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:12 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:53 am
Posts: 251
SithLord wrote:
Darth Karo wrote:

Ok, here is my long shot:

Image

Oh and by the way, I didn't come onto the vader scene yesterday.


That dot you circle on the nail mark, for example, is a bubble in the resin that's unique to that pull.


That bubble wasn't unique to your copy - it's on mine also.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 470 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 32  Next

All times are UTC


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Blue Moon by Trent © 2007
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Hosted by Freeforum.ca, get your free forum now! TOS | Support Forums | Report a violation
buy web visitors
MultiForums powered by echoPHP phpBB MultiForums