It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:30 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: Vader measurements?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:34 am 
Random avatar

Darth Niob wrote:
...... the head of my mannequin seems to big for the mask and i have to make it smaller.

Whilst have seen it in person, i don't had the Impression that your Manny had such a big head - so which one of your Mask's you're going to try on ?
Depending on the different positions i tried on my display, you could tweak up to max 4 cm with the helmet, before it looks worse.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:47 pm 
Random avatar

No one of my helmets does fit on this mannequin head. The head of my former mannequin was much thinner but the mask also doesnt fit. I had to cut off the ears:) I took measurments of my DS 20th today and together with foam, dome mechanism, and strenght of mask and dome i got 6 cm. So i would reach 1,99 m with mannequin in full costume...definetly too short....even if i would go for 2,02m as Vader height like in most of the books. And way off if the measurement of 2,08m is right. Oh man that sucks. If i dont know the right height i cant make any progress. :banger

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:02 pm 
Site Admin

You can use the metric to imperial converter on this site: http://www.initium.demon.co.uk/converts/metimp.htm

If we are going by 6'9" for Vader's height, then it amounts to 2m10.3cm.

For 6'8" it equals 2m7.3cam

So you gotta hit a mark somewhere between those two amounts.

If you can barely reach 2m2cm suited up, then your mannequin is way too short and needs lengthening. Remember, Dave Prowse's torso and arms are longer in proportion to his legs.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:51 am 
Random avatar

Thanks for the site Carsten but the problem is not to know that 1 inch is 2,5 cm. The problem is that i dont know the exact height of Prowse. Vaderpainter says 2,10m, the ESB measerments say 2,08m, all the SW books say 2,02m and many guys who have seen Prowse live say that he never is/was 2m during the filming. So what to believe. If he was really 2m tall and 2,08m in full costume (i think to add 8cm incl. helmet, boots is ok) then he had to look much taller in comparison to other SW characters. Just look at some of the pics during the filming of SW. He is taller than everyone else but the difference isnt that huge. Harrison Ford is something about 1,85m, Carrie Fisher is only 1,55m (that would mean Vader would be over an half meter taller). Jeremy Bulloch in costume was 1,82m or so. But was he really 25 cm less in height than Vader next to him. I dont think so looking at most of the pics. Does anyone have an info of Prowse height ? Maybe in one of his books or does Brian remember his height from working with him on the set? That would be interesting. I think muscle him up wouldnt be that problem because even if the padding isnt perfect and you make him a little bit more or less muscular....the costume doesnt show so much of it that you will see it.....thats mainly because the inner robe is covering most of the suit (not so on ESB or Jedi). But i never will get the right look if the height isnt accurate are there is certainly a difference between 2,02m or 2,10m. And before ordering a new suit (sadly i will have to do that) i would have to know that for 100% sure. Because it seems hard enough to get an accurate sized suit even if you have the right measurements.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:10 pm 

I believe Jeremy was just below 1.82m WITHOUT the suit, and with the helmet and boots on it would add another 4-5 cm or so.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:16 pm 

No Humor Man wrote:
You're welcome. I've had these two measurement charts saved ever since they were posted on the RPF... can't remember by whom though.

I believe Chris King originally posted them. I have the same measurements from when posted on the RPF...correct me if I'm wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:33 pm 

Quote:
Prowse was strong built during SW but has lost most of his muscles in that pic

Well, it is all there: "Fitness Is Fun" by Dave David Prowse. W.H. Allen / Virgin Books (1. Juni 1979).
In this book Mr. Prowse says something about Star Wars and his recent role being Darth Vader (and there's all kinds of personal history) and there are many, many pictures of Mr. Prowse doing exercises in a tight sports-suit that gives definite answers to all the questions about his muscles and body-dimensions while he was playing ANH Darth Vader.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:14 am 
Random avatar

Space-in-Vader wrote:
Quote:
Prowse was strong built during SW but has lost most of his muscles in that pic

Well, it is all there: "Fitness Is Fun" by Dave David Prowse. W.H. Allen / Virgin Books (1. Juni 1979).
In this book Mr. Prowse says something about Star Wars and his recent role being Darth Vader (and there's all kinds of personal history) and there are many, many pictures of Mr. Prowse doing exercises in a tight sports-suit that gives definite answers to all the questions about his muscles and body-dimensions while he was playing ANH Darth Vader.

This is a hot topic in my radar right now, so it's interesting that you brought this thread up again.

I have some questioning of the Vader measurements that are posted by No Humor Man.

First, I think that the height is agreed in general that he was 198, and not 200,66cm?

Plus I wonder if I just simple change the overall height, are there other measurements that have to change in order to maintain proportion? I know prowse had a long torso and long arms.

I'm just looking to see if we have a general consensus yet.

Height: dressed 82" (~208.28 cm) undressed 79" (~200.66 cm)
Neck To Floor: 69" (~175.26 cm)
Back Neck To Hip: seated 30.5" (~77.47 cm)
Torso Length: neck front to neck back through crotch 72" (~182.88 cm)
Shoulders across back 19.5" (~49.53 cm)
Chest: 45.5" (~115.57 cm)
Upper Chest: 47" (~119.38 cm)
Under Chest: 41.5" (~105.41 cm)
Waist: 40" (~101.60 cm)
Hips: 46.5" (~118.11)
Armseye: 27" (~68.58 cm)
Bicep: 17" (~43.18 cm)
Elbow" 14.5" (~36.83 cm)
Forearm: 14.5" (~36.83 cm)
Wrist: 10.5" (~26.67 cm)
Sleeve shoulder to wrist 27.75" (~70.49 cm)
Shoulder To Elbow: 14.75" (~37.47 cm)
Shoulder To Finger Tip: 35.5" (~90.17 cm)
Underarm To Wrist: 18.5" (~46.99 cm)
Underarm To Elbow: 6.5" (~16.51 cm)
Inseam To Ankle: 31" (~78.74 cm)
Inseam To Floor: 36" (~91.44 cm)
Outseam To Ankle: 45.5" (~115.57 cm)
Outseam To Floor: 49.25" (~125.10 cm)
Knee To Ankle: 18.5" (~46.99 cm)
Knee To Floor: 22.5" (~57.15 cm)
Rise: waist front to waist back through crotch 35" (~88.90 cm)
Thigh: 27.5" (~69.85 cm)
Knee: 19" (~48.26 cm)
Calf: 16" (~40.64 cm)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:41 pm 

I really, really wonder what is the source for all these measurements.

I read his books ("Straight From The Force's Mouth: The Autobiography of Dave Prowse MBE" and "Fitness is Fun") and there are only some specifications mentioned: heigth (about 200cm), biceps and weight.

In his early days he was a kind of natural bodybuilder (no drugs and doping). There are some pictures of him: impressive, most... you know. But he never was a bodybuilder with the look and heavy muscles like Arnold Schwarzenegger (he 'maybe' used a lot of the chemical helpers) and refused to do so (all written in his biography).
But when wearing the Vader Suit, he was 42 years old. Still in impressive shape as you can see in his fitness-book.

But all the sophisticated measurements that are displayed here... i really wonder from where they come from and when they are supposed to be noticed (what was his age?).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:53 am 

These are ILM measurements. Trust me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:27 am 
Random avatar

The height is definetly wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:11 pm 

Darth Niob wrote:

Thank you for the straight and bracing statement.
I might be wrong (i usually am) and I am always glad about errors that I notice because this way i am approaching the right information.
Maybe you would be so nice to drop me a line about the background of your statement; just to give me a clue?
I really would be pleased if you could clarify the height to me a little bit.

Sincerly yours,

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:20 am 

Prowse has been called up to 6'7" before. They're just probably going off of this is all.

But those measurements are built around anyone playing Vader who is 6'7" Heights obviously vary but that measurement is their base of operations, so to speak.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:10 pm 
Random avatar

Space-in-Vader wrote:
Darth Niob wrote:

Thank you for the straight and bracing statement.
I might be wrong (i usually am) and I am always glad about errors that I notice because this way i am approaching the right information.
Maybe you would be so nice to drop me a line about the background of your statement; just to give me a clue?
I really would be pleased if you could clarify the height to me a little bit.

Sincerly yours,

Thats the height i found the most in my internet research. Also played with my costum parts on my custom mannequin and you get the idea that Prowse never was 2,01 m without costume. I also talked with some Vader experts and they share the same opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:52 pm 

But you mean the height of Prowse, right? In that video where he is standing next to the Vader costume in a white sweater, he states his height, right? I forgot what he said. Was it 6'6" ?

Again, these measurements are what FLF decided for Darth Vader. They are not labeled Prowse but surely originated off of him.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next