It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:40 pm

All times are UTC


THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: Rogue One Darth Vader helmet discussion
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:07 am 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:56 pm
Posts: 1256
Location: Germany
Yeah lol :lol

The whole costume looks like a prop-trainee-chore, who has done this the first time in life.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rogue One Darth Vader helmet discussion
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:05 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:00 pm
Posts: 176
Location: Italy
Yes, the costume was a disaster. Sadly... :banger


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rogue One Darth Vader helmet discussion
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:55 pm 
Random avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:50 am
Posts: 21
I just can not fathom what they based it on. To me it looks rubbish, but to a casual observer it looks weird and ill fitting as well. Now so far we have only seen images of Daniel Naprous as Vader. Kinda curious what Spencer Wilding looked like in the suit.

It just feels like they went through some lengths trying to capture authentic details ( chestbox and belt boxes) and cutting covners on others. I tried to recreate this look recently on my vader costume and the cape just felt weird :P


I was comparing the ANH and the RO helmets. Is it just me or does the ANH dome look wider thatn the RO version, and the neck looks longer on the RO. The Widows peak seems to end "early" exposing the entire eyesocket ( giving vader the eyebrow appearance).

Edit: anybody notice the inlay on the nose ;)? Very Rubies-esque


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rogue One Darth Vader helmet discussion
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:37 am 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:24 pm
Posts: 361
Location: Berlin
Darctic wrote:
I just can not fathom what they based it on. To me it looks rubbish, but to a casual observer it looks weird and ill fitting as well. Now so far we have only seen images of Daniel Naprous as Vader. Kinda curious what Spencer Wilding looked like in the suit.

It just feels like they went through some lengths trying to capture authentic details ( chestbox and belt boxes) and cutting covners on others. I tried to recreate this look recently on my vader costume and the cape just felt weird :P


I was comparing the ANH and the RO helmets. Is it just me or does the ANH dome look wider thatn the RO version, and the neck looks longer on the RO. The Widows peak seems to end "early" exposing the entire eyesocket ( giving vader the eyebrow appearance).

Edit: anybody notice the inlay on the nose ;)? Very Rubies-esque


I think both Wilding and Naprous are actually too "thin" and lacking the deep, muscular "Prowse chest". Prowse grew substantially bigger around the waist area from ANH to ROTJ, which made Vader look even more massive in ESB and ROTJ. The RO helmet actually does not bother me that much although it's missing the "worn" look like in ANH. It's basically the chest armour, cod piece and cape that throws the costume off. I'm 6'6'' and weight around 95kg. In 1995 I tried on original ROTJ Vader chest armour in the LFL archives. I worked with weights at that time, but it looked completely wrong on me, totally oversized. I bet if they would have used a set of "Elstree" chest armour in RO Vader would have looked much better.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rogue One Darth Vader helmet discussion
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:58 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:59 am
Posts: 34
Or just make a padded body suit that was more the shape and size of Prowse. A few simple adjustments would have made a big difference.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rogue One Darth Vader helmet discussion
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:38 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:26 pm
Posts: 644
Location: Dallas, TX, USA
Darctic wrote:
I was comparing the ANH and the RO helmets. Is it just me or does the ANH dome look wider thatn the RO version, and the neck looks longer on the RO. The Widows peak seems to end "early" exposing the entire eyesocket ( giving vader the eyebrow appearance).

Edit: anybody notice the inlay on the nose ;)? Very Rubies-esque


The outside surface at the front sides of the ANH dome flare outward slightly. The RO dome curves inward (similar the eFx limited/legend). The ANH dome shape has more local variations in curvature, e.g. as seen in the pic you posted you can make out a thin elongated S shape outline along the dome's right side (left side as pictured).

The ANH face mask to me has a general look of being more square and chiseled with higher "cheekbones". The RO upper cheekline below the eye sockets angle downward towards the sides. This combined with the larger and longer U shape of the nose of the RO to me is reminiscent of the Don Post standard, which is why I jokingly posted that side-by-side next to the RO.

The eyebrows of the RO are more exposed compared to the ANH in the pics you posted, but there are some scenes in ANH where the dome sits higher or tilted back where they are exposed too. But the ANH eyebrows do not look so prominent be because they are not as brightly highlighted with silver/grey paint. And the ANH eyebrows have more chips and dips breaking up the light reflections so you don't see the entire eyebrow like you would in a smoothly sanded one.

Image


Last edited by banthapoodoo on Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rogue One Darth Vader helmet discussion
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:11 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:24 am
Posts: 52
So, Gino just posted these responses to questions about the R1 on another forum.

"The R1 Vader helmet was made by using one of my old vader helmets that was lent to the production by a crew member, then it was modified into what you see on screen."


and when challenged:

"I was told this by the crew member in person."

Anyone know more on this?


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rogue One Darth Vader helmet discussion
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:20 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:51 pm
Posts: 511
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Seriously? Gino posted that Bullshit? Please post a link.

Two months before the movie, he was cutting down he RO helmet - saying it would be a big disappointment, that it looked like a modified Rubies.

So...this begs the questions: Is Gino's helmet a Rubies?


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rogue One Darth Vader helmet discussion
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:18 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:24 am
Posts: 52
It was on rebelscum


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rogue One Darth Vader helmet discussion
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:51 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:56 pm
Posts: 1256
Location: Germany
intwenothor wrote:
So, Gino just posted these responses to questions about the R1 on another forum.

"The R1 Vader helmet was made by using one of my old vader helmets that was lent to the production by a crew member, then it was modified into what you see on screen."


and when challenged:

"I was told this by the crew member in person."

Anyone know more on this?


Yeah that "yoke" really made my day. :lol
Once again he shot the bird :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

But hey ...that may would explain why the R1 Vader helmet look so f***ked up.

Link to the thread.
http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=1133539


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rogue One Darth Vader helmet discussion
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:21 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:24 am
Posts: 52
craigjohn wrote:
Seriously? Gino posted that Bullshit? Please post a link.

Two months before the movie, he was cutting down he RO helmet - saying it would be a big disappointment, that it looked like a modified Rubies.

So...this begs the questions: Is Gino's helmet a Rubies?


Do you have that anywhere? It'd be so funny if that was copied into the thread.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rogue One Darth Vader helmet discussion
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:06 am 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:26 am
Posts: 336
(Removed. Probably shouldn't get into it..)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rogue One Darth Vader helmet discussion
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:46 am 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:56 pm
Posts: 1256
Location: Germany
intwenothor wrote:
craigjohn wrote:
Seriously? Gino posted that Bullshit? Please post a link.

Two months before the movie, he was cutting down he RO helmet - saying it would be a big disappointment, that it looked like a modified Rubies.

So...this begs the questions: Is Gino's helmet a Rubies?


Do you have that anywhere? It'd be so funny if that was copied into the thread.


Made a print screen of that post :lol , that he not can say it's a lie or if he wanted to edtit it.
And if you go to the link of the thread you see, that it's not photoshoped by me.

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=260573

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rogue One Darth Vader helmet discussion
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:30 am 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:24 am
Posts: 52
That thread jumps from the 9th to the 17th of May. When did you make that screen cap?

Edit: ignore this. I read the date on the screen cap as 16th (incorrectly).


Last edited by intwenothor on Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rogue One Darth Vader helmet discussion
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:09 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:51 pm
Posts: 511
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Not that I'm overly displeased with the way the R1 Vader turned out, but why-oh-why couldn't Vader look like this throughout the whole movie?

Image


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

All times are UTC


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Blue Moon by Trent © 2007
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Hosted by Freeforum.ca, get your free forum now! TOS | Support Forums | Report a violation
buy web visitors
MultiForums powered by echoPHP phpBB MultiForums