It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:57 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: Split topic: Vader discussion: Gino
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:09 pm 

Darth Niob wrote:
HDPE wrote:
Darthvaderv wrote:
His best display is Darth Maul IMO and Yoda is impressive.

Maybe it's because I have zero interest in anything Darth Maul or Prequel crapology but I'd say his best display is by far his Scout trooper (biker scout full display).

All cast from original and soft parts patterned from original.

WANT. :lol

Where did he post pics of it? Yes...everything Gino has is a direct copy from the real deal...the one and only in the world who has this...nobody else ever will have :lol

Regarding his Yoda...the head is simply too small to be accurate, although nicely finished. Just compare it with Cybermans Vb version...its in another league :cool:

On the RPF and his Facebook page. Didn't get much attention on the RPF.

I'd say he must have had access to a full scout trooper costume in the Archives when developping the Scout helmet for EFX. You can be sure the mass produced licensed item will never be as good as this. Same as usual.

Only the boots are not screen accurate. I stand by my statement though, if could I pick up one display from his collection, this would be the one.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:11 pm 
Random avatar

That scout trooper does look fucking great. Never been a rotj fan so I don't study up on pics/info from the film. But this looks incredible. Normally the 501st costumes that emulate this end up with the crotch area looking like a space diaper...so this is a welcome sight for how the prop should really look.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:14 pm 

Darthvaderv wrote:
I feel some get caught up in the overall gloss of the finished product.
...I'm sure Gino could match many shots on screen as any good Vader item could with the right angles and lighting.

And the real test of accuracy is not to show how a helmet matches a couple of screenshots, but to show how a helmet can match EVERY screenshot ( adjusting only dome positioning, camera viewpoint, and lighting). That's how you know you've got the shape and the details right. For example, a detail assumed to be a vertical dip when it's actually a diagonal slant, it may look like a match in a couple of views, but will look inaccurate in others. Gino's look great from some views, but they don't have the more rigorous accuracy of others.

craigjohn wrote:
For someone who is (allegedly) a stickler for detail, Gino's helmets always seemed to have the front of the dome pulled down too far - seemingly at or below the middle notch between the eyes. ...or it may be the shape of the dome's front brow, lacking enough of an arch - or combination of both. This alone, in my observant eyes of watching ANH countless times (read my opinion), counters the authenticity of the "Vader look".

Yeah I think the eFx domes are too. The look is too curved and how it frames the mask too draped and shrouded. One could lower the helmet and tilt it back to reduce the look of the front being pulled down too far, but then the back of the helmet would pull down too far.

Brent72 wrote:
I'm not trying to compete with Gino(or anyone else for that matter), but I will say that I prefer my own ESB Vader to his....and this is just a crappy cell phone pic I took a couple minutes ago, not a professionally done photo shoot to showcase it.

I was so impressed the first time I saw that video of your complete ESB Vader in action. And still am! Next if you just add a meditation chamber-like mechanism to lower the Dome onto the Mask, that would be really cool! ;)

craigjohn wrote:
That is insanely awesome.

Weird - ESB Vader with two ANH Troopers - and one stunt helmet has bubble lenses.

I think one ESB stunt trooper and one ESB Type 2 or ROTJ trooper with frown painted like ANH... looking like this randy pair here:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:40 am 

craigjohn wrote:
That is insanely awesome.

Weird - ESB Vader with two ANH Troopers - and one stunt helmet has bubble lenses.

Or two Snowtroopers with Vader...(SO COOL)

Or....Boba Fett standing next to Vader wouldn't look half back either. ;)

This could be the ultimate badass pairing. Damn! I love this photo. :drool

This is the angle that made me love the ESB Vader - love those highlighted eyebrows. Looks so badass in every way.

...I feel like I need a REALLY good Boba Fett Helmet now. LOL

I love all these photo's, the red background was my favourite as a kid.

Look how large the lower mouth vent is in that last photo with fett.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:54 am 
Site Admin

Darth Niob wrote:
HDPE wrote:
Darthvaderv wrote:
His best display is Darth Maul IMO and Yoda is impressive.

Maybe it's because I have zero interest in anything Darth Maul or Prequel crapology but I'd say his best display is by far his Scout trooper (biker scout full display).

All cast from original and soft parts patterned from original.

WANT. :lol

Where did he post pics of it? Yes...everything Gino has is a direct copy from the real deal...the one and only in the world who has this...nobody else ever will have :lol

Regarding his Yoda...the head is simply too small to be accurate, although nicely finished. Just compare it with Cybermans Vb version...its in another league :cool:

I know Phil and Gino fell out over Gino not honoring his agreement with Phil for Emperor robes, If I recall, that then prompted a more accurate version of a Yoda head, or it may of been in progress during?. In which Gino said it was more inaccurate than the previous Yoda.
I was absent from the hobby for a while and don't think I saw the end result.

Reviews statuemodellarge-figure-review-section-vf203.html

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:38 pm 
Random avatar

Phil got many more infos and measurements for his Yoda so he did a new sculpt of all body parts. You can see the end result on facebook. The old one looks like crap if you compare it to the new version

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:38 pm 

The one called "Gino's" Yoda is called the V2.
Gino and Phil worked together being the falling out.
Since that time there has been many versions that Phil has sculpted on his own. Not sure exactly how many but I remember a V3, V3b, V4, V4b each with various degrees of "the look"
One was definitely too small, one definitely inferior to the V2 IMO.
The current version looks pretty good I think. Phil and Gino have made peace with each other.

Anyway the ultimate Yoda will be the cast from original one the EFX may someday make. The prototype casting looked amazing. I can wait and see what comes of it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:13 pm 
Random avatar

EFX...yes...what to say? Their cast of original is totally dissorted and not usefull to get an accurate replica.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:06 pm 

Considering EFX's website is still down (essentially) I wouldn't hold my breath for that little EFX Yoda. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:02 pm 
Site Admin

Midnight Trooper wrote:
The one called "Gino's" Yoda is called the V2.
Gino and Phil worked together being the falling out.
Since that time there has been many versions that Phil has sculpted on his own. Not sure exactly how many but I remember a V3, V3b, V4, V4b each with various degrees of "the look"
One was definitely too small, one definitely inferior to the V2 IMO.
The current version looks pretty good I think. Phil and Gino have made peace with each other.

Anyway the ultimate Yoda will be the cast from original one the EFX may someday make. The prototype casting looked amazing. I can wait and see what comes of it.

I see, regarding the yoda. I'll have to catch up with that.
Keegan, I'm glad they sorted it but a main issue from what was posted was definitely over those robes. Still, if they made up that's something.

Reviews statuemodellarge-figure-review-section-vf203.html

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:13 am 

Darth Niob wrote:
EFX...yes...what to say? Their cast of original is totally dissorted and not usefull to get an accurate replica.

What an incredibly ignorant thing to say. :hehe-err

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:06 am 
Random avatar

Midnight Trooper wrote:
Darth Niob wrote:

Not ignorant..just the truth. Nick Maley also had seen their stuff they want to built their Yoda from and said its distorted and not useful to make an accurate replica. The man should know what he is talking about since he built Yodas for the movies :rolleyes
And everyone who has ever seen some crappy latex parts which survived the past decades should get the idea too :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:46 am 

Darth Niob wrote:
Midnight Trooper wrote:
Darth Niob wrote:

Not ignorant..just the truth. Nick Maley also had seen their stuff they want to built their Yoda from and said its distorted and not useful to make an accurate replica. The man should know what he is talking about since he built Yodas for the movies :rolleyes
And everyone who has ever seen some crappy latex parts which survived the past decades should get the idea too :wink:

Listen, it is true that foam latex parts degrade over time. EFX showed images of the parts they used and you could clearly tell they were not perfect. But they had little distortion and are the best parts out there. In fact EFX used the Only parts out there that are not crumbled beyond use.
Nick Maley did work on Yoda but he is not the ultimate authority on castings. If he wasn't re-sculpting a Yoda with Phil in hopes of getting the attention of LFL I am sure he would not be so dismissive of the castings EFX showed.

You do realize that nobody has ever moulded any original Yoda stuff before EFX did right?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:48 am 
Random avatar

I know but i doubt they will get good casts out of the parts they have ....simple as that. Just because they got the best parts which survived the years doesn't mean they are getting a real good result out of it. In the end its just a show for potential customers. To tell them its all cast of original and then cast some other parts for the stuff they will sell.
It also doesn't make any sense to make casts from originals and then clean every detail out of it. Their legend line is a joke...at least their Vader and not many stuff after that went to the customer to date....just the same show off things they present on every convention since years. But in the end we will see the result ...perhaps in 4-5 years...if they survive that long.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:49 pm 

"When 936 years you reach, look as good you will not, hmmm?" - Yoda

With regard to the Gino ANH Vaders, including all the eFx variants, there's one feature that has always looked a bit off to me. Too curved, or not transitioning from curved to flat in the correct spot. I won't disclose the exact location of the feature I'm referring to, in accordance with the international treaty terms of the Warsaw Convention of 1977 limiting disclosure of Vader Secrets. But it's at the bottom right where the "what you see with" meets the "what you smell with + what you drive over to cross a river".

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next