It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:54 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: New ABS Vader helmet efx - no pictures yet but...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:38 pm 

banthapoodoo wrote:
darthjones wrote:
Interesting. What the heck is up with their site by the way?! I mean - weeks to fix???????

I guess maybe some computer programs are like that huh

From the stack trace error page I see they are using a really old version of the Microsoft .NET Foundation libraries, so it wouldn't surprise me that an update to their storefront software didn't go so well. But it does surprise me that they didn't leave the operational site intact and test it on a separate system to confirm it works before deploying it live. And a few speculate that it being down for so long could be intentional. Conspiracy theorists! http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=157451&page=35

craigjohn wrote:
Thanks for sharing, Bantha.

The PCR may be from the same reference material, but the PCR is lacking the soul from the resin/fiberglass props.

I would almost compare it to film photography vs. digital photography. Digital images captured with these new hyper resolution multi-coated lenses are so precise and clean, the files are rather sterile. It's one of the reasons I've gone back to using old 1970's manual focus film lenses - it just softens the "digitalness", and gives the files character.

...Film (especially when captured with old lenses) images are imperfect. They have character. They have a soul.

Oh I agree. And that's why I called this a "reference helmet." I've already found it quite useful to see more clearly the differences in shapes, angles and surface areas that make A New Hope unique. If you were to map out the location of every point on the helmet compared to the original it might match up 95%... Limited/Legend 97%-98%. And that last 2% most difficult to obtain sub-millimeter accuracy relegated to authentic casts. (% just guesses)

Ah the analog vs digital debate. I imagine in your living room stacks of seventies 33 RPM LPs, a vacuum-tube amplifier, and 5 foot tall stereo Kenwood speakers on either side of the room :P But I get it - the quantizing, pixelization, and how camera software and print media often get in the way of getting the picture you want.

Because it's a timely reference, I'll mention that the late music artist Prince insisted that in all his recordings or live performances that no sequenced tracks be used. This after exasperation from his initial use of MIDI sequencing and editing and the unavoidable quantizing effects. It sounded artificial. He required that all instruments must be played live, all vocals sung live, which truly distinguishes the real performers from the button pushers and lip syncers.

...You'd be surprised - no more LPs, save for a few. But no record player, so the LP's gather dust. I'm pretty damn digital otherwise. But I do cherry pick where I want to go 'old school'. My little Star Wars collection, some old Nikon lenses (no more film cameras - sold them all last year), and my old Griswold/Erie cast iron from the late 1800's and very early 1900's. ...And those old cast iron skillets and griddles earn their keep - they're all being actively used. :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:31 pm 

Holy wow on EFX and Disney speculation. Thanks for the rpf link!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:30 pm 

No word on the availability of the SE (Special Edition) version of this helmet which differs from the standard one I bought, adding Legend-ish paint accents, weathering, and painted-on C-Scar.

I figured I could do just as good a job myself, so I went ahead and added the C-Scar.

I think it looks pretty accurate.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:53 pm 

Well played, BP. Well played. :thumbsup

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:59 pm 

Haha thanks.

As a photographer, maybe you can explain all the texture in that photo. It looks like surface detail, but it isn't. Note the bottom of the grill, the bottom of the teeth are completely straight across in a line. But not so in this picture. Granted, I'm using a crappy tablet camera w/o flash, in auto mode, from about 6 ft away with a side window only for lighting. The camera is perfectly still. Not sure what causes these artifacts.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:55 pm 

My thoughts on the why the low-res image looks wonky...

1) you're using a tiny camera sensor from your tablet.
2) It set to auto ISO, so it's probably bumping up the ISO to 1600ish, so you're getting a noisy capture.
3) Because of the higher ISO on a smaller sensor, the tablet software is likely applying a built-in noise reduction.
4) You're posting the image a large size - even though screen resolution is roughly 75ppi.

Combine all those elements, and you're getting a very mottled image.

The larger the sensor and the larger the photo sites (like 12MP), the better overall image quality at higher ISOs. The Sony a7sII has 12 MP, and is (so far) the king of high ISO.

However, there is a most full-frame 35mm and APS-C sensors are damn good up to ISO 1600. Better than anything I used when I first started 10 years ago. Plus, you can get REALLY good used cameras for dirt cheap.

Even the new Fuji mirrorless cameras (APS-C sized sensor) is outstanding.

The Olympus Mirrorless Micro 4:3 cameras are ridiculously good. The new Olympus Pen-F is crazy good. I think that may be my next camera. :)

This Olympus Pen-F
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... _four.html

With this 35mm equivalent lens...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/9 ... _lens.html

And this 90mm portrait/telephoto lens (prefect for shooting/documenting props) :) ...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/9 ... _lens.html

And you have wonderful small kit that can do SO much.

For Fuji...

There is this generation older camera...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... amera.html

with this 50mm equivalent lens...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... f_2_r.html

And you'd also have a nice simple kit that can do a LOT. ...though shooting in smaller rooms indoors, you're limited because of the 50mm field of view.

I feel like I should put together a recommended camera post. :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:36 pm 

I miss my Kodak Instamatic! Thanks for the great info. You have demonstrated your camera-cred most impressively. It's always good to become more knowledgeable in other areas while diving head first into a hobby as specific as this. I think a dedicated thread to techniques and tricks for photographing Vader would be quite... didactic! Many of us could learn some new things from it I'm sure.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:39 am 
Random avatar

Bantha...not sure you used the correct font on the C brother, but it does look killer....
I have to say that I like the helmet AND I feel eFx did a great job on this. Feels pretty sturdy and looks fantastic, despite the obvious differences between the tubes on a real cast vs the add on tubes, BUT, I'm glad I picked it up.

Really considering a little brushed gunmetal, very thin, if I can find a good paint that should work with the existing finish.
It's no TM/SL/TD, but for the look and price it's rather a beaut. Now to fab a little helmet stand...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:40 am 

Yeah I'm thinking maybe New Times Roman italic would be a better choice ;) Glad you like your helmet. I'm liking mine too. There might be $5 worth of raw parts in it, but the 1:1 scale accurate shape that many would have given their left *** for just a few years ago makes this a good deal. The shiny eyebrows and wide flat return edge around the lower front and sides are the only things that bug me some. I have those in my sights as first targets for any mods.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:31 pm 

Caslon Antique.

I like the rough edges... simulates the Tantive helmet damage rather well. :hehe-err

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:56 pm 

Interesting about efx conspiracy theories. One PURE SPECULATION is that Disney is charging them a heck of a lot more to renew their license down the road and they are not going to do it.

And are having to shift gears across the board.

Just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:22 am 

Carson Antique looks good. Kind of a menacing Frankenstein font.

It would make sense for licensing costs to go up, given the resurgence of global interest in everything Star Wars.

Taking a 180 degree turn on how to make the C-Scar, going for something closer to how it was originally formed. The best answer being it was formed over repeated handling by Prowse's dresser holding the mask in place.

So off go the white gloves and on go my greasy fingers across the mask. I can see how this could create a C-scar plus the continuing flatter curve along the bottom of the cheek corresponding to the bottom of the thumb. Even bunny rabbit ears from holding it at slightly different positions and angles. But the thumb tip does naturally settle in the same place (the C-spot).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:54 pm 

Mine has just arrived:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:29 pm 
Random avatar

Hard to complain on these helmets. I like the weight of them also.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:11 pm 

For you kids that were waiting for the "Legendish" PCR helmet...

It's not up for sale on EFX's new website.

https://www.efxcollectibles.com/collect ... al-edition

You're welcome...

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next