It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:11 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: The TM ROTJ helmet
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:50 pm 

My heart skipped a few beats when this got delivered yesterday:

But Jesper packaged everything very well and all was in good shape:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:12 pm 
Random avatar

:eek OMG Always great to see what the shipping companies do with our beloved stuff :angry4

Glad it survived mate :thumbsup

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:39 pm 
Site Admin

I was about to ask: "hey, what helmet is that", when I had to slap my head as I looked at the title. D'OH!

That's an insane treatment of that package... I've gotten several like that. Once delivering a package to the post office the desk lady just tossed the package into the package bin - I had just paid for the expensive shipping because it was fragile, so I told her to fucking honor that I just paid premium to have it handled carefully. She just stared at me for a second... then she realized what she'd done and apologized... but man... I didn't feel good about that package going out... but fortunately it arrived safely, though, with a lot more dings. Mike, I think you remember that package I'm talking about.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:46 am 

Some people don't understand that in many cases the structure of a cardboard box really isn't all that strong. If it's a large FedEx box, or one of those HP Printer boxes, those can be ultra thick. If something is really at stake, I try to reinforce the interior of the box and separate things from all 6 sides. Bubble wrap simply shifts around. Foam peanuts settle. An ideal construction would be 1" foam sheets on all six sides, and the pack the inside space with newspaper. Make sure the box has no way of being crushed easily under normal stacking. Realize things are going to get thrown.

Please convey this to Jesper, whoever has access to him. Some of my stuff from him arrived damaged.

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:02 am 

That's the bottom of the box in the pic. Somewhere in shipment it sat in water as the bottom several inches had watermarks, and that was the result.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:41 am 
Random avatar

There is alsways a risk that a parcel will be damaged during transport, especially if the cartonage becoming wet. The cartonage he used costs 9 USD alone just to be big enough for a safe transport of the helmet. If it wouldnt be packed very well it wouldnt have survived the transport. I just sent a big parcel to Brasil...cartonage huge, bubble wrapped with many layers AND the cartonage was stabilized with very thick foam from a PC monitor package. It arrived and looked like an elephant has made a sit on it....but all the items survived. There is always a risk it will be damaged.

The helmet arrived in great condition.....no reason to make a big story out of it (imo).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:54 pm 

Calm down, Niob. It's not a big story to me. It is a big story for someone who either narrowly escapes damage or, as you say, there is one JRX ROTJ left, and if that arrives damaged. I had told Jesper over the phone a while back that his workmanship was excellent but his packing methods left much to be desired and suggested reinforcing the interior more. My next shipment from him wasn't packed that much better, and again there was black FG chips here and there. Nothing I can't fix, but it's insufficient packaging.

If you're reading this as some kind of attack against Jesper, don't. I consider Jesper a friend, but a friend who hasn't listened to my advice twice that can help another future TM owner. :thumbsup

- Mac

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:04 pm 
Random avatar

I dont need to calm down Mac :wink: This package was the first which arrived damaged (which is possible regardless how well its packed or not) and the packages i got from him were very well packed and i also told him to send the TM's extremly safe packed that every cast will survive shipping. Sorry your parcels werent that safe packed but i'm pretty sure he did a better job this time. I also dont see it as an attack and i'm not here to defend anyone or anything, but thats the experiences i have made with the parcels he has packed for me and some of the TM owners at this actual run :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:28 pm 

Some forms of cardboard boxes are very prone to moisture. The Epson, HP, etc. boxes tend to have a gloss coat to the thick cardboard which offers a degree of protection.

Brown card board boxes don't have such coatings. People, in general, use your discretion. If an acrylic coat helps seal the cardboard box surface, it may help make the box more durable - and re-usable, making the entire endeavor a bit more environmentally and resource-friendly. :thumbsup

- Mac

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:22 pm 

And we now return to our previously scheduled programming.....the TM ROTJ thread.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:32 pm 

I would propose that Jesper wraps some old news paper over the bubble warp for the face plates. And use balls of crumpled newspapers to cushion all round the faceplate, tied with adhesive tapes around, before placing into the dome for shipping.

Mine arrived ok, but I was worried when I remove the faceplate still warped in the bubble wrap which IMO is abit thin.

Just saying this as it is good to avoid nice work being damaged through shipping, just a little icing on the cake, after a long journey.

Post subject: Re: The TM -JRX ROTJ helmet
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:33 pm 

Nearly 7 years late, how do I get my hands on one of these? I'd so love to have one sitting next to Mr. ESB.

Such a beautiful ROTJ! :drool

Profile E-mail