It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:17 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:35 am 
Random avatar

Gino,
Thanks for your input. I agree that that is light reflecting off the grill material.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:30 pm 

Guys....in the 2nd pic you can actually see the square edges of the diamond pattern.

And I agree that if based on the first shot and many of the promo shots, I would argue to the death for the holed stuff....but I think the 2nd shot shoots down the first one easily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:37 pm 
Site Admin

Yes... that's right... one picture doesn't prove anything... but several pictures from the same scene or photograph session can. And so far there is only diamond mesh there.

Though... the original question and reason of this topic was to find the correct style mesh for the chin vent. Is it the same as the mesh in the mouth or smaller?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 3:05 pm 

I'd say smaller.

(*Edit- I like the smaller look personally)

Last edited by Vadermonkey on Thu May 24, 2007 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 3:12 pm 
Random avatar
It's the same size on both upper and lower.
Kurtyboy on the rpf used to sell accurate mesh, but for some reason his old stock has diminished and the new stuff he sells is close but not exact.
His first kind was cleaner looking aluminum and the stuff he sells now has a sort of rusted look to it. The things that are wrong with the newer stuff is that it should not be rusted looking and the diamond cells are too wide.
Maybe with enough interest, he can try to find some more of the stuff he used to offer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:38 pm 

GINO wrote:
Kurtyboy on the rpf used to sell accurate mesh, but for some reason his old stock has diminished and the new stuff he sells is close but not exact.
His first kind was cleaner looking aluminum and the stuff he sells now has a sort of rusted look to it. The things that are wrong with the newer stuff is that it should not be rusted looking and the diamond cells are too wide.
Maybe with enough interest, he can try to find some more of the stuff he used to offer.

:angry4 :angry4 :angry4 ... meaning nothing else but that the later
buyers of the Kurtyboy mesh got nothing but betrayed and screwed ...

okeydokey - another guy who just made it to my List of "forget abouts"...

The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon;
the vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:51 pm 
Random avatar
I'm sure that Kurtyboy did not set out to mislead anyone. He's a good guy and has always been helpful to me when I've needed something.
The stuff he offers right now is still the closest I've seen available. Hopefully he can score some more of the older stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:55 pm 

NoHumorMan wrote:
If it was a holed piece of metal and not mesh, then the holes would be consistent in shape and position, but they are not.

Yes they are, actually. The holes that seem to be different in size and position are reflections off of the edge of the triangle cutout.

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:35 pm 
Site Admin

CSMacLaren wrote:
NoHumorMan wrote:
If it was a holed piece of metal and not mesh, then the holes would be consistent in shape and position, but they are not.

Yes they are, actually. The holes that seem to be different in size and position are reflections off of the edge of the triangle cutout.

Not in the three pictures I have. In two, yes, where he's looking pretty much in the same direction... but the third pulls the theory apart, where you can see that it is a mesh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:44 pm 
Site Admin

GINO wrote:
I'm sure that Kurtyboy did not set out to mislead anyone. He's a good guy and has always been helpful to me when I've needed something.
The stuff he offers right now is still the closest I've seen available. Hopefully he can score some more of the older stuff.

Still, tbh, a bit of a let-down... as that was not mentioned in the sale's add on RPF. It was stated that it was the same as offered before, not different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:08 pm 
Site Admin

You can actually match up points on the third picture to the Tantive mesh... where the light is actually shining off of those raised areas - in exactly the same places. I think this pretty much concludes that this theory is bust.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:16 pm 

Odd how different the triangle itself looks in the two scenes. Looks smaller, more skewed in the Tantive scene (in proportion I mean, yes I realize the face in the pic is smaller overall :wink: ). Must be from distortion, the paint scuffs match.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 11:44 pm 

Pantheragem wrote:
Odd how different the triangle itself looks in the two scenes. Looks smaller, more skewed in the Tantive scene (in proportion I mean, yes I realize the face in the pic is smaller overall :wink: ). Must be from distortion, the paint scuffs match.

Notice that each cut scene in the TIE fighter has slightly different lighting, different movement, different head positions.

Anyways, it looks smaller due to shadow. The light source is coming in from the lower right side, off-camera.

The scene in red glow ironically is the clearest. There is a greater amount of light, but now BOTH sides of Vader's neck is being illuminated. Given this, it's not just about light reflections on the intersection points on the mesh -- consider how the surface of the sheet metal is now picking up the light from the TIE fighter dashboard.

However, these could also be two entirely different screens/meshes. One scene could have modifications the previous one didn't, even though they are edited to appear only a few seconds or a few minutes apart.

- Mac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 12:19 am 

GINO wrote:

Agreed...Kurtyboy is a very stand up guy. I've dealt with him on several long term transactions and he has always been honest & trustworthy.

As an aside on the mesh shape, light can play weird tricks...especially when viewed on 30 + year old stock footage...I have no doubt that's it's diamond shaped mesh in the lower grill....but angles/light can make it appear differently. Especially with expanded metal mesh that has a louvered effect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:13 am 

This pic here looks like it might be mesh:

But this following color version looks more like holes:

However, I will admit this following shot blurs the lines:

http://www.jrxtoys.com/images/NEW%20PRO ... met_18.jpg

If you squint, the white looks like holes. If you don't, it looks like reflections off the mesh.

Images hosted by JRX.

- Mac