It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:47 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: Brian Muir Ultimate Vader
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:03 pm 

vader45 wrote:
Brian's helmet looks like a ROTJ forced to change into ANH. It just looks way to forced.

It has the general shape and look of the screen Vader but I see nothing but ROTJ in the face. And the Dome strip just looks bad. It the ROTJ strip just sharpened up and widows peak added. its to wide and looks bad.

Who ever it may be, Brian or a contracted sculptor, rushed it and didn't study the original Brian Muir sculpt at all. Any other option out there is far more screen accurate.

But I wonder if Brain would be willing to sell unaltered casting of that ROTJ helmet. I would so buy one.

Without a doubt. I'd definitely grab an unaltered ROTJ from Brian.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:11 pm 

juan7fernandez wrote:
(sorry I posted this already on the other thread about the Brian Muir helmet. I think this thread is more current so I'm copying it over here)

Here are the first oficial images for the movie depicting Vader. They're not pictures but judging by the way the artist captured everyoneelses likeness (that we've already seen), its a safe bet that this is what Vader looks like in the movie. Although according to the paint pattern on the face mask, it looks like the image used for reference was inverted, in true classic Vader promo style. The other detail that gives away the inverted image is the tusks color. The darker one is on the wearers left on this artist depiction.

Good to see that its nothing like the Brian Muir Ultimate helmet and more like the original ANH. Nothing against Brian's helmet, just think this look is more appropriate for a pre-ANH movie.

And to me, it seems like that artwork of Vader has similarities to Brian's Ultimate Vader - especially in the general "look and feel" department...

...granted the Rogue One artwork is an illustration, and they horizontally flipped the Vader helmet.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:49 am 
Random avatar

I sent several emails to Brian on his website and did not get a reply and that was months ago. I realize he has been busy with Rogue One as well. I have always been intrigued by his helmets as it would be cool to get a helmet from the original maker. I am also picky when it comes to a Vader helmet as I once owned a Fyberdyne that I was never totally happy with and I still search for where that one came from. It seems there is little detail on that as well. I keep thinking about pulling the plug and ordering one of Brian's helmets. I am only hesitant because the ANH Vader has always been my favorite and since I am back in the Hobby I am going to be selective on what I get and really want to get an ANH helmet. I plan to only buy one Vader helmet and want the best lol!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:52 am 

mwells wrote:
I sent several emails to Brian on his website and did not get a reply and that was months ago. I realize he has been busy with Rogue One as well. I have always been intrigued by his helmets as it would be cool to get a helmet from the original maker. I am also picky when it comes to a Vader helmet as I once owned a Fyberdyne that I was never totally happy with and I still search for where that one came from. It seems there is little detail on that as well. I keep thinking about pulling the plug and ordering one of Brian's helmets. I am only hesitant because the ANH Vader has always been my favorite and since I am back in the Hobby I am going to be selective on what I get and really want to get an ANH helmet. I plan to only buy one Vader helmet and want the best lol!

Welcome back :thumbsup

For ANH an "SL" would be at the top (if you can secure one), or perhaps try and get an EFX (the fibreglass versions) as they have a great shape although a bit sanitised.

There are some very good fan-made helmets out there, but a few of the sellers are of questionable repute.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:30 pm 

Fatherless One wrote:
mwells wrote:

Welcome back :thumbsup

For ANH an "SL" would be at the top (if you can secure one), or perhaps try and get an EFX (the fibreglass versions) as they have a great shape although a bit sanitised.

There are some very good fan-made helmets out there, but a few of the sellers are of questionable repute.

If you're only getting one helmet, I echo what Alan suggests. An SL would be your best option. Talk with SithLord (he's on these boards - send him a PM). If you can get one, have DCarty finish the helmet.

If you end up with an EFX Limited Edition off of Ebay (they pop-up every now and then), which is probably the easiest option, send it to DCarty (he's on these boards), and have him strip it repaint it. :)

If do you get a Brian Muir Ultimate Vader - send it to Dave Carty for re-finishing. ...seriously, his work speaks for itself. :)

VaderMonkey would be another great option for Vader Helmet finishing. :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:15 am 
Random avatar

Definitely some good info posted up above mine here. Comes down to how much you can spend and what's available. Very few of the EFX lids around, but they pop up on the bat from time to time.
The Quasimodo is a great looking lid as well, but it's a fan cast not a direct cast.
The SL is a phenomanol looking helmet. And viewing Dcarty's paint work the guy is an artist.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:27 pm 

syllander wrote:
Definitely some good info posted up above mine here. Comes down to how much you can spend and what's available. Very few of the EFX lids around, but they pop up on the bat from time to time.
The Quasimodo is a great looking lid as well, but it's a fan cast not a direct cast.
The SL is a phenomanol looking helmet. And viewing Dcarty's paint work the guy is an artist.

Just to clarify: Quasimodo is a sculpture, though wearable. It's not a fan cast replica based on anything already existing.

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:22 am 
Random avatar

Definitely go with the SL or EFX they are your best bet. You wont be disappointed.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:32 am 

here are pictures of Mr Muirs original damaged rotj hemnet, and the reworked one he made from new molds (I ripped these pics from somewhere, so feel free to take down if they are yours.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:38 am 

trooper18938 wrote:
here are pictures of Mr Muirs original damaged rotj hemnet, and the reworked one he made from new molds (I ripped these pics from somewhere, so feel free to take down if they are yours.

Thanks for sharing pal, despite the damage and drill hole both the mask and helmet have a great shape.

Was there supposed to be another photo?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:11 pm 

does anyone have any more photo's of Muir's ROTJ?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:54 pm 

oops. heres more photos

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:56 pm 

reworked

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:58 pm 

last one

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:29 am 

trooper18938 wrote:
reworked

This is the helmet I wish Brian Muir would have released for the ultimate Vader...

I'd have been all over it like what pigs on a trough. :D

1) EFX did (a Brian Muir endorsed) ANH, Anovos is doing an ESB. No one is doing a a good ROTJ right now.
2) His source helmet is an ROTJ. It's an apples to apples process.

Last edited by craigjohn on Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next