It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:14 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: SgtFang Faceplate: Analysis and WIP
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:55 pm 
Random avatar

I dunno....i think there is too much negativity toward this mask....i have mine set up in such a way that i'm extremely pleased with it. I know the shortcomings, and i think that each mask may vary due to it being cast in resin from a mold that, i believe, has no proper jacket....hence the warping in some masks.

Just like the dude here, i wish i had the dosh to splash out on more exclusive casts, hell, i'd give my eye teeth for Mark's ROTJ helmet on offer right now, but some of us are hard up.

I believe whole-heartedly that a new market for ANH lids will arise with the arrival of the EFX. So many people will recast it, and will probably charge much less than official vendors. I for one would be VERY tempted if the cast was a good one simply due to my financial situation..... :thumbsup (That'll get Defstartroopers goat up...)

If any of you good people wish to alleviate the suffering of us poor Fang owners, then i, for one, would gladly accept any loose casts you have hanging around the place taking up room! :wink:
in appreciation of such largesse, i could post pics and comparisons with my previously acceptable Fang Hybrid....(i'm not kidding!!!!)

Rich

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:52 pm 

maestro wrote:
As requested, here is a picture of the faceplate 6 feet back and zoomed in with my little 3x optical zoom camera. I can try to do a 6ft shot with my natty15d dome mounted with some blu-tack. Unfortunately, I don't have a SgtFang dome to show with it.

If additional shots of the faceplate are needed I can provide them. This is at eye level but the face is just resting on the neckline, which causes the entire thing to tilt backward a bit...

Can you take one where he's not looking upwards but into the camera? The into-the-camera 6 foot shots are perhaps the most important. Maybe I shouldn't have said "eye level". Thanks!

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:17 am 
Site Admin

clancampbell wrote:
I believe whole-heartedly that a new market for ANH lids will arise with the arrival of the EFX. So many people will recast it, and will probably charge much less than official vendors.

Though it will likely happen I really hope it won't. Remember, recasting the eFX will make them reconsider ever offering other lesser known Star Wars helmets in the future. We can't stop what was done in the hobby in the past, but we can try to steer the hobby away from that trend for the future.

Recasting kills the companies.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:43 pm 

CSMacLaren wrote:
Can you take one where he's not looking upwards but into the camera? The into-the-camera 6 foot shots are perhaps the most important. Maybe I shouldn't have said "eye level". Thanks!

Here it is looking directly into the camera.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:46 am 

Fascinating. This is probably the first time I've been able to really look at the shape of the SgtFang. Despite its flaws there's still a lot it has going for it.

Now if all SgtFang masks have that very high crown (which I suspect is to allow the dome to sit on it without using a mounting ring) I think one of the challenges people are facing is that the high crown gives little flexibility for dome repositioning.

My first instinct is to see what part of the crown comes into contact with the inside of the SgtFang dome, and to cut perhaps 0.5 inches. I think that allowing the dome to sit lower and to have it tilt backward will allow the mask to reach a greater potential.

- Mac

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:45 pm 

CSMacLaren wrote:
Fascinating. This is probably the first time I've been able to really look at the shape of the SgtFang. Despite its flaws there's still a lot it has going for it.

Now if all SgtFang masks have that very high crown (which I suspect is to allow the dome to sit on it without using a mounting ring) I think one of the challenges people are facing is that the high crown gives little flexibility for dome repositioning.

My first instinct is to see what part of the crown comes into contact with the inside of the SgtFang dome, and to cut perhaps 0.5 inches. I think that allowing the dome to sit lower and to have it tilt backward will allow the mask to reach a greater potential.

If I had a SgtFang dome in hand I would gladly test out your idea.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:17 pm 
Site Admin

Looks more like an artifact from the sides being squashed in. Widening the mask - especially pulling out the left side (right in the picture) the top of the face will be pulled down a bit and you'll get a more accurate shape of the face mask. As it is now, it looks hideous.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:00 pm 

Here's a comp with a SithPlanet. Bear in mind the SithPlanet was about 5 feet distance, and shot in my very early days in the hobby before realizing 6 feet minimum distance helps tell a better story, photographically.

- Mac