It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:44 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: ESB or ROTJ Vader - Need help identifying
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:42 pm 

TM, there's another scene on Cloud City when Leia is yelling at Luke that it's a trap, as the troopers are shuffling her away, there appears to be a ROTJ trooper bucket on the right. I'm not a trooper guy, so you might want to look at that scene also.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:57 pm 
Site Admin

Only just seen this thread. The Vader is ESB and as Pete said the topps card entry is 1980. Although re-issues were done throughout it first featured in issue 1 out of the 132 cards/33 stickers :thumbsup .

Reviews statuemodellarge-figure-review-section-vf203.html

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:04 pm 

Here's the scene I refer to. The trooper on the right looks ROTJ to me, but I'm not a trooper guy so.....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:02 pm 
Site Admin

You also see the RotJ stormtrooper armor in the line-up scene on Cloud City when they pile out on the stairs with Lobot to keep the rebels from fleeing the dinner with Vader. Much of this was discussed, I believe, on FisD? At least it had the upside down ab-detail... can't recall if it had more.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:22 am 

HDPE wrote:
I haven't been on the boards in a while but since I was mentioned yes I've been saying this over and over (and showing proofs to back up my theories) for over four years now
there are ROTJ styled suits screen seen in TESB and a reconditioned ANH hero helmet used at the time of TESB.

Notice the edge trim, the shoulder bells and the shoulder connectors, ROTJ all the way..
Not to say that the helmet looks very 'background ROTJ' to me
Anybody with TESB in Hd can watch the carbon freezing chamber scene step by step and screen grab every frame, at one point you'll even see the solid one piece abdomen plate when Chewie knocks off the trooper.

ESB reconditioned anh hero but that's for another thread

Exactly the sort of thing I wanted to see. I knew I had seen some of this stuff before.
Very interesting and thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:33 pm 

It's very refreshing to see that there is a high level of stromtrooper expertise represented here. :salut

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:50 pm 

I've spent the day with a number of original helmets, including an ANH and RotJ Stormtrooper - and have looked at this again. However IMO (and it really is only an opinion) - but what we're seeing is just the same reconditioned ANH helmets.

We know for a fact that 2 Hero's survived ANH (for the Holiday SPecial) so its possible that one lost its lenses so could be viewed a Stunt/Hero hybrid - i.e. an ABS "stunt" style helmet IF they replaced the lenses (again remember the one currently in the archive has no lenses - not sosafe-keeping from Lucasfilm I'm sad to say).

But when I look at these two - I see ANH helmets, not RotJ

As far as the one on the right- see more ANH bump under its eye than RotJ...

...and IMO this photo was taken 1983 for the Star Wars exibition (I forget whether it was Harrods or Selfridges but I went to both)
The troopers in the Getty photo are not the same as this. The Getty one was 1980, this is 1983 and the troopers are different.

I'm certainly not closing my mind off to the possibility, and I applaud Paul/TM for provoking this healthy debate. However, at the moment I just dont see it. But like I said, its just an opinion :)

Cheers

Jez

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:00 am 
Random avatar
Well one things for sure Jez, the ROTJ style armour and helmets were around well before ROTJ was filmed. There's no denying that the red backed photo with ROTJ armour was taken any later than 1980, that is solid. Whether the other photo outside Harrods/Selfidges was taken in 1983 or 1980 (I believe 1980 as it looks to have been taken at the same as the one in Getty) doesn't make much difference now as we can guarantee the armour was around in 1980, which changes everything we thought we knew about the ROTJ manufature time.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:27 am 
Site Admin

I'm not so much into who worked on what, but that Mollo information in the sister-thread about RotJ style trooper armor being made in ESB... is there any way to check about Vader as well? Would love to hear if there was any reasoning behind using an ANH style helmet in the funeral pyre scene rather than a RotJ one.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:32 pm 
Random avatar

Yup, that's the reference I was talking about. Some would say it's a very supple leather, but I'm leaning more and more toward satin myself.

SithLord wrote:
Definitely ESB...and the right trooper looks like a hero, the left a stunt but with repainted teeth. The right one has painted detailing. About the cape, here's something I posted on RPF in Feb. of '06...

It doesn't look to me like the inside of the cape but rather a hemmed satin lining, maybe to protect the edge of the cape.