It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:35 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: Don Post Deluxe - Early Numbers Better Shape... or Not?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:01 pm 
Random avatar

Here is the same image flipped or mirrored depending on your definition :wink:

Vaders helmet looks normal again but who is he looking at? :hehe-err

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:03 pm 

darthlvr wrote:

Hey SID. Damn those lenses look exactly like Artisan Prop lenses, you know Doug?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:10 pm 
Random avatar

Hi Darth Karo..
No I don't but that's funny you mentioned the lenses :lol i feel bad that before
i sold my higher #rd DPD I may have inadvertently swapped the bad lenses for
the clear ones :wink: but these are original DPD lenses..

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:22 pm 

:lol You better hope the person you sold the other DP to doesn't read this thread or they are gonna head down to Florida and get your butt. :violent Let's see a few more pics of that helmet. It's very nicely shaped.

Here's one I had and sold.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:34 pm 
Random avatar

That's a nice helmet Darth Karo too bad you sold it.. It might be worth some money today
because of the very little flare it has.....

I was just thinking. I don't remember saying i lived in FL. Do you guys do background
checks on all your new members? lol :lol JK

here are more pics but this time of my older DPD. I should have never sold this
it was really nice even with the neck flare :(

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:13 pm 

Wow that helmet is dark even in daylight. It seems there was a definite change in the paint used. Thanks for the pics, but let's see some of that other one. :thumbsup

Background checks? :lol Hey you have to keep out the rift raft, but no it was just a lucky guess on my part. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:22 pm 
Random avatar

:lol that was a lucky guess....

Actually the paint is the exact same color as my low #rd DPD.. my good friend took the
pictures and it was getting dark outside.. I had to lighten up these pictures in paint shop pro
before uploading them to the internet..

As soon as a get my camera back i will take a couple more shots..

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:11 pm 

Unless I'm wrong, and I'm never wrong...( :wink: ) the one on the left #17 is the Rubies fiberglass equivilent and the one on the right is an actual DP helmet.

ImageImage

The tells are the thick chinvent, different mesh/orientation and the neck flair. The rumor is Rubies was using the DPS molds for their helmets. Shortly after they started making the plastic versions.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:31 pm 

I hear what you are saying but it definately has the Don Post plaques, foam, mesh and lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:34 pm 

Vadermonkey,

The one on the left (or the top, if your window is too verticall squashed) does indeed look Rubie's-ish, but the mid strip is a bit too flat down front. Perhaps the Rubie's just suffers from poor paintwork and lousy paint. I don't recall the state of the one below, if it's repainted or not, but here is a shot JRX took once.

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:08 pm 

darthlvr wrote:
Hi, My name is Sid and i have a DPD #151. Actually i had 2 DPD but i sold one some years back.
I held on to this DP because of the extremely nice condition and very little warping that
most other DPD helmets suffer from.. I am sorry for the poor quality of this picture i will try
to take more this week. I will also show pictures of the other DPD helmet i once owned so you
can see the differences..

If memory serves me i ordered my first DP from an add in Galaxy Trader. Some months later
I received it and was a bit disappointed with the warping so I contacted Don Post and after
overcoming some obstacles finally got a chance to talk to someone there about these problems..

I had a list of questions to ask them, just like a good Star Wars Nerd would :) and here is
what they told me....

I had asked them why my helmet was warped and sagging and they told me they were
receiving a lot of the same questions from other concerned owners and thought that the master
helmet had the same issues but under further examination of the many molds they made for
the production, found that a few of the molds were faulty leaving many of the production
helmets with a low, to moderate, to extreme warping problem.. I asked if they could tell me
if they knew what #rd helmets were affected and they told me it varied throughout the
production line, some good and some bad. Basically a flip of the coin....

I have heard people in the past say the earlier DPD helmets had less warping but as all of you
can see from the pictures in this thread, that is not the case at all. I also asked if the helmets
had any other changes throughout the production and they told me the only thing they felt it
necessary to change was the Lenses because of the poor visibility they were experiencing
with the initial batches.... I for one can verify that my earlier #151 had Crap lenses compare
to the near perfect lenses in my higher numbered DPD i sold....

Here is my current DPD.. I will upload another picture with more detail, but you can see
already how the neck has very little if not any flare at all, I also noticed that my earlier
DP has more surface detail unlike my higher #rd DP almost as if they were cleaned up more
as the production went on.....

Sid/darthlvr

Thanks for the post!

I hear what you say, and while I do believe this is what you were told, I think this was more a customer frustration appeasement measure. Based on what you're saying, they were using many molds but a "few" were faulty that resulted in warping. So "few" = "warped".

Let's just do some conservative guesses as to how many were warped verus unwarped.

Theoretical Scenario 1

Let's pretend there were was an 8 man team and enough shop space to handle 8 helmets at a time. The production would call for 125 batches to total 1,000 helmets.

So when you say "few" molds were "warped" then let's assume a few means 3. That would mean that 37.5 percent (or 375 helmets) would have inherited the same flaw. But that means 625 would have had more slender necks.

We don't see those ratios among fan-owned Don Post Deluxes.

Theoretical Scenario 2

Let's redo the math. Say they had 25 molds and enough shop space to handle them, so that 40 batches of 25 each would produce 1,000.

Let's say a "few" was 3-5 molds being "warped" as you say. That means that 120 to 200 helmets would be warped. That means 800-880 were of more slender necks.

Again, we don't see those ratios among fan-owned Don Post Deluxes.

What they told you is still quite possible, however. However, the math doesn't add up. The majority of the Deluxes we see have pretty wide necks. If you have a slender neck, we can see it's a welcomed exception but even so it does not appear to be due to it being a low number.

Now regarding lenses, I suspect these were vacuum formed, and it may very well be that some vacforms were better than others.

Your current DPD does show neck flare. I wouldn't consider it to be "very little if not not any flare at all".

There is certainly more than on the CKing which was the point of Post #1, which is almost straight on the left (as you look at it). I think what you have is approximately the norm. I think that from the norm (which is flared) you have variances in addition to the norm. If, for example, the masks were pulled prematurely and set upright on a table, the weight would bear down on the neck and cause the neck corners to flare outward. This, however, would not be a mold issue.

If the resin and curing agent mix ratios were incorrect, then some masks may have required additional curing time.

- Mac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:14 pm 

darthlvr wrote:
Hi Darth Karo..
No I don't but that's funny you mentioned the lenses :lol i feel bad that before
i sold my higher #rd DPD I may have inadvertently swapped the bad lenses for
the clear ones :wink: but these are original DPD lenses..

Do you have a better photo of your mask? Perhaps something in better focus - and could you make sure it's a 6 foot shot?

- Mac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:51 pm 

Well I am certainly not trying to pick on your helmet, this is a fine thread...IMO however the only reason that a #17 faceplate would look like a Rubies is that it is a Rubies with DPS plates and foam...especially since all subsequent DP helmets look the same and do not have details in common with any of the Rubies helmets.

Just to clarify, this is the helmet I am calling #17...did I misread? The dome looks right, just not the faceplate.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:03 pm 

The #17, if it's indeed a Rubies, then it's a darn fine looking one.

The shots I have of the Rubies Fiberglass Limited Edition aren't that flattering. These are collected from around the web and do not appear to be promo photos.

Could the owner please clarify?

- Mac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:20 pm 
Random avatar

Hello CSMaclaren..
I don't think the person that i spoke to was trying to appease me because of the amount of
information he was giving me. I realize that you may not believe me and i do see where your
coming from with the math but i am just telling you what i know and what i was told. Has
anyone ever spoke to someone from DP. I am very curious what they were told and if it was
similar to what they told me......

ummmm, assuming that the person i spoke to was being 100% honest your math does
bring up a good question but the problem with trying to figure it out mathematically is you need
to know exactly how many molds were created, and how many guys were working on the casting
process and that is something i regret to say i could not tell you.. Maybe its possible that
when the person at DP said a few of the molds were faulty he was being a little dishonest.
maybe most of the molds were faulty. At this point it is all guess work.....

I understand your theory and it sounds good but if that were the case then all of the necks
would look different and they don't for the most part. They seem to have the same flare
looking like they came from the same mold or molds. If the casting was taken out too early and rested
on their necks then all the necks would have different degrees of warp and that's something
i have never seen in pictures or in person.. I have seen a few types of warp but not many types
like what your theory would produce..

I will take more pictures of my helmet this weekend because i have a feeling my picture is
really bad making you think the flare is just like the others.. It is not bad in person and not
nearly as bad as my higher #rd DPD ;)
I will agree my low #rd does have some flare but then again so did the original helmet.. I have
studied this problem in great lengths from day 1 when i received my DPD that i sold and after
a great number of hours came to the conclusion that even a perfect should have a little bit
of flare like the original.. If it does not then it has been heated with a heat gun and straightened..

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next