It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:50 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: Original Jedi Stormtrooper Helmet...
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:48 pm 

NoHumorMan wrote:
clutch wrote:
I don't see how he could have possibly thought it was from the first helmet.

You really think all this was about the helmet?

Now that I think back on it. No.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:00 am 

After reading both baords, sounds like someone was pissed because they got cut out of getting a piece of the pie. :rolleyes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:54 am 

So this may be a dumb question, but I'm guessing it would devalue it if you finished it up (painted the frown and added decals and whatnot)?

Anyway, cool helmet. The closest things I have to screen used are my '95 ILM SE Trooper blaster and ROTJ Leia blaster castings. I have no idea what generation they are, but they still give me that little tingle when I pick them up. :lol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:10 am 

The ILM and Leia blasters sound cool.

Yes I think it is obvious the helmet is nothing like my old one, look at the ears to start with.

Joe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:29 pm 
Site Admin

Dann wrote:
So this may be a dumb question, but I'm guessing it would devalue it if you finished it up (painted the frown and added decals and whatnot)?

Adding anything that isn't original could possibly devalue the helmet in the eyes of the serious collectors - but as long as it isn't passed off as original pieces or THE original piece as it looked on set, then adding those details could complement the piece, however, you'll remove some of its history.

Always a tough decision to restore or not restore... or to finish, if you know what I mean.

Would love to see more.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:51 pm 

If that was mine i would leave it as it is, and put it on display and just be content with being chuffed to own a piece such as this :thumbsup

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:44 am 

I think the problem with Gino was that he put 2 + 2 together and made 5. The key thing for me was then he went on a hunch without doing his homework and that's always dangerous ground.

I'm glad this has now all got sorted Joe. However I completely understand your reticence in posting info like this again :(

Cheers

Jez

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:37 pm 
Random avatar

thanks for sharing pics of your new acquisition! :thumbsup

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:52 pm 

NoHumorMan wrote:
the dark side wrote:
I certainly won't ever post any of my finds again :banger

Then he wins. Would be a damn shame if you ask me.

I personally thank you for showing off this helmet! :thumbsup

It depends where you post your finds. Here, Den moderators are pretty good at ousting the trolls.

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:13 pm 

NoHumorMan wrote:
Well, he got to defame a few people's integrity, call everyone liars, walk away without repercussions + score the conversation about the helmet over to his forum. Guess that teaches us all a valuable lesson. Be a bully and you get what you want.

When someone is bullied, they are being devalued as a human being. People who endorse the bully are essentially are no better than the bully, so I find there is little in their opinion or person to esteem any longer.

This is not the first time I've seen GINO take an offensive attack posture with people, and cyberbullying people to the point the burden of proof is on the accused. I've seen him "demand" pictures from people by simply waiving the "it may be a recast of my box" card. Even when his accusations are proven to be baseless, he never apologizes. I'm left to wonder if GINO merely hoped the weight of his accusations would be sufficient to stonewall or slow the success of another fan's handmade efforts.

I find it appalling and repugnant that people would say "But don't look at GINO's past. Look at GINO's passion." I'm also seeing people say that GINO's "concern" for a prop being claimed to be an original should be examined despite GINO's interesting and colorful past - to the point JoeR not only has to defend himself against character defamation by someone who lost out on a deal, but that the only way for JoeRto exonerate himself is to cough up photos and contribute them to GINO's private photo collection. What kind of passion is being praised here? A passion to remain King of the Vader Hill by maligning and removing all perceived competition and controlling all information?

And being that his mannequins look nice, does that give him the authority to leverage the public to help him harass and intimidate someone into submission? Yeah... I see his statues are so accurate that when kind Den people point out inaccuracies, he plagiarizes their ideas, silently works them into his photos, and you never see him credit people or ever acknowledge that his setup needed changing - yet the photographic evidence is right there. Then he maligns the Den and Den members, and people credit him for a look that was achieved through the contributions of others.

Thus, to me, people who hold GINO in high regard despite his antics really deserve him. Those who endorse this bully need to reassess their own priorities.

A note to the community: do not feed a bully's ego to where you let him think he has power and authority over you, otherwise he wins.

- Mac

Last edited by CSMacLaren on Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:20 pm 

NoHumorMan wrote:
Dann wrote:

Adding anything that isn't original could possibly devalue the helmet in the eyes of the serious collectors - but as long as it isn't passed off as original pieces or THE original piece as it looked on set, then adding those details could complement the piece, however, you'll remove some of its history.

Always a tough decision to restore or not restore... or to finish, if you know what I mean.

Would love to see more.

This is what I had thought regarding the recently found or recently surfaced ANH tour suit that Jez had posted here on the Den. The owner preferred to not strip the paint and examine the resin. In the collecting world, there are times when restoration improves the value of antiques or old collectibles, and there is a time when people may prefer the original paintwork. Restoration takes into account the original artist's intent and tries to conserve as much of that intent in the artwork. Oversanding, oversculpting and overpolishing it in any way that would override that intent would devalue it as a historical piece.

- Mac

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:21 pm 

Dann wrote:

Anyway, cool helmet. The closest things I have to screen used are my '95 ILM SE Trooper blaster and ROTJ Leia blaster castings. I have no idea what generation they are, but they still give me that little tingle when I pick them up. :lol

You know, one idea is to see if you can cast it in fiberglass. Yes, I know that's not quite the same as molding the interior and vacforming over the mold. However, it would create a mockup you could paint and build out without harming the original.

- Mac

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:23 pm 
Site Admin

Sigh, Mac, come on...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:24 pm 

It needs to be said before he plays his "jealousy" card again. In his deck of many cards, it's the one that is most worn from frequent use. The truth needs to get out.

- Mac

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:15 am 
Random avatar

CSMacLaren wrote:
NoHumorMan wrote:
Well, he got to defame a few people's integrity, call everyone liars, walk away without repercussions + score the conversation about the helmet over to his forum. Guess that teaches us all a valuable lesson. Be a bully and you get what you want.

When someone is bullied, they are being devalued as a human being. People who endorse the bully are essentially are no better than the bully, so I find there is little in their opinion or person to esteem any longer.

This is not the first time I've seen GINO take an offensive attack posture with people, and cyberbullying people to the point the burden of proof is on the accused. I've seen him "demand" pictures from people by simply waiving the "it may be a recast of my box" card. Even when his accusations are proven to be baseless, he never apologizes. I'm left to wonder if GINO merely hoped the weight of his accusations would be sufficient to stonewall or slow the success of another fan's handmade efforts.

I find it appalling and repugnant that people would say "But don't look at GINO's past. Look at GINO's passion." I'm also seeing people say that GINO's "concern" for a prop being claimed to be an original should be examined despite GINO's interesting and colorful past - to the point JoeR not only has to defend himself against character defamation by someone who lost out on a deal, but that the only way for JoeRto exonerate himself is to cough up photos and contribute them to GINO's private photo collection. What kind of passion is being praised here? A passion to remain King of the Vader Hill by maligning and removing all perceived competition and controlling all information?

And being that his mannequins look nice, does that give him the authority to leverage the public to help him harass and intimidate someone into submission? Yeah... I see his statues are so accurate that when kind Den people point out inaccuracies, he plagiarizes their ideas, silently works them into his photos, and you never see him credit people or ever acknowledge that his setup needed changing - yet the photographic evidence is right there. Then he maligns the Den and Den members, and people credit him for a look that was achieved through the contributions of others.

Thus, to me, people who hold GINO in high regard despite his antics really deserve him. Those who endorse this bully need to reassess their own priorities.

A note to the community: do not feed a bully's ego to where you let him think he has power and authority over you, otherwise he wins.

Mac, his little tirade against Joe fell just as flat as Thomas' did against GINO. As I said, both arguments were utterly pointless. I give GINO the benefit of the doubt at times, but even I can admit when the guy is wrong, and I told him as much regarding this one. I haven't seen the posts here where members have pointed out his "inaccuracies". Frankly, it is irrelevant to me.

As far as "endorsing the bully" goes, people here do the saaaaame thing. Yes, I like GINO, but in all fairness, I don't know him from Adam. Same goes for all of you, none of us know each other, for the most part. We ALL have our opinions, and they are all worth exactly the time it took you to type them out...mine included.

Now, Joe said something on GINO's board that really struck me. He basically said he has nothing to prove to anyone. I direct this to you, Joe; If you have nothing to prove to anyone, why post about your piece in the first place? I still think it is what it is...a cool piece of film history, but you chose to share it with us in the SW Prop community, so it says to me that you are looking for approval. I've already said I am envious. It's a hell of a thing to find TWO pieces from ILM. Let's not sugar coat it though, we are looking for approval when we post pics of our items. If not approval, then at least mutterings of jealousy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next