It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:56 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: Y-Wing helmet - done!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:46 pm 
Site Admin

I need to finish fast, or else I know I'll never get it done haha...

Thanks jay and T-Virus! :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:25 pm 

Hi all!

I just saw this thread some weeks ago and I thought: THAT would be a cool fun project, since there should be no miracle behind it.

So I've contacted richie and ordered a y-wing helmet kit.

I know that a bit of filling, trimming, sanding, fitting and modifying is necessary to get something into a really decent shape, but when I opened the box and looked at this kit for some minutes, I was really disappointed. So without further delay, here are some pics:

I know it's not even correctly assembled on the pics but I put that together to take some shots of areas, of which I think are the reason that this will be not a fun project but a complete desaster.

Comments welcome

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:38 pm 
Site Admin

:eek That looks... EEK. What a big uneven seam down the center. Seems it was trimmed strange.

But then again, ever since I learned of magic sculpt and started using it... this could be fixable.

Good luck with the kit. Have you talked to Richie about it to hear his thoughts on the kit?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:01 am 
Site Admin

Wow... I'm at a loss...

Mine was already assembled when I got it... If you're still willing to work with it, try something like magic sculpt or that stuff Mac uses Aquamend (tried that stuff too and I love it). First, lay down a thin flexible strip of plastic on the inside of the helmet along the seam and just fill it in.... Other than that, I don't know... Very sorry... :eek

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:45 am 

NoHumorMan wrote:
:eek That looks... EEK. What a big uneven seam down the center. Seems it was trimmed strange.

But then again, ever since I learned of magic sculpt and started using it... this could be fixable.

Good luck with the kit. Have you talked to Richie about it to hear his thoughts on the kit?

No, haven't contacted him about that.

It's fan made and as said I've expected some work but the thing that bugs me is afterall the price.

157 bucks for two thin vac formed (and in such a loveless way) shells which are totally warped, uneven and not compatible to each other...not to speak about the resin parts. Don't want to small his amount of work that went into it but I feel a bit ripped off since that is something that I don't dare to sell to anyone, if it looks like this.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:33 am 
Site Admin

I can only say that you should contact him about this. No reason to sit alone with this if there is a way to get it fixed. He needs to know you are not satisfied with the product and if he's interested in keeping good business I think he'd like to hear about any issues people may have.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:11 am 

NoHumorMan wrote:
I can only say that you should contact him about this. No reason to sit alone with this if there is a way to get it fixed. He needs to know you are not satisfied with the product and if he's interested in keeping good business I think he'd like to hear about any issues people may have.

You're absolutely right about that and again to be said, I don't want to blame or discredit him publically!!!

The reason I posted the pics is, that I was unsure if my kit is usually shipped like this. Didn't know that Darth Fatty's helmet came already assembled so I wanted to know if his one came in the same condition as my came.

Sry if this was a bit sour.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:00 pm 

Hi

Talked to richie finally about the kit.

I asked him if he has the time to first simply look at some pics.

He responded that (without looking at my pics) this is the way the kits have been made and shipped out for years and that I simply should send it back.

Sounds funny...

At last I will give it a try. Due to the fact that I have other things on my workbench, I hopefully will be able to post some progress pics when I start working on this.