It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:20 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: New ANH helmet
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:17 pm 

Nice Vader bucket Chris :thumbsup

I have a really nice fibreglass Vader faceplate that's in a raw state, but everytime I start to think about working on it, I keep saying to myself "Yeah, but no...but yeah, but no.... but yeah, but no... but yeah, but no" etc. etc.

I hope that's obscure enough to confuse all the people, who have made un-subtle comments about *this* Vader helmet that I've failed to grasp :toothy

Either I'm stoopid, or I need to stick to goddamn Stormtroopers - at least you know where you stand with a Stormtrooper helmet... (hehe, tongue firmly in-cheek)

Cheers,
John
trooperglovesATyahooDOTcom

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:42 pm 
Random avatar

Pugman wrote:
Nice Vader bucket Chris :thumbsup

I have a really nice fibreglass Vader faceplate that's in a raw state, but everytime I start to think about working on it, I keep saying to myself "Yeah, but no...but yeah, but no.... but yeah, but no... but yeah, but no" etc. etc.

I hope that's obscure enough to confuse all the people, who have made un-subtle comments about *this* Vader helmet that I've failed to grasp :toothy

Hi John,

I have to say that even in Vader circles that is obscure and confusing :) Please send your answers on a stamped adressed postcard.

The sad thing is I actually know what you are talking about :lol

Cheers Chris

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:27 am 

StarWars Collector wrote:
No, I won't ask the usual questions..... :wink:

That is a very nice helmet you have there, Chris! :thumbsup

I wish you would ask the usual questions. Anyone fancy clarifying a few things for a newbie? SL..?
I recently got some mesh off Kurtyboy. It sounds that he has plenty at the moment.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:28 pm 

I just think it's a half decent helmet and give it :thumbsup :thumbsup and a :salut

It does look familiar, however...hmmmmm. :whip2

:wink:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:56 am 

Cmon and explain to the newies what it is...or is the sole reason for this thread fishing for compliments? :wink:

SithLord wrote:
I just think it's a half decent helmet and give it :thumbsup :thumbsup and a :salut

It does look familiar, however...hmmmmm. :whip2

:wink:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:48 pm 

I question kurtyboy's mesh. I have it and I've studied numerous pictures. I think it's close, but not spot on.

Nice helmet!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:34 pm 

nice-biscuit wrote:
I wish you would ask the usual questions. Anyone fancy clarifying a few things for a newbie? SL..?

Not sure why there seems to be a big mystery here that no one wants to talk about since it's already been discussed before:

http://thepropden.aokforums.com/1-vt1676.html?start=0 *all the pics were removed by Thomas, but you get the idea.

Thomas (Sithlord) won that vader helmet on ebay in a close bidding contest against Dcarty. Thomas had castings made by a well known prop guy in the community and he offered castings to a select few. What you see here is one of those castings. That's why it's named SL. Although it is a cleaned up and slightly modified version of the original, it is believed to have come from the same mold as the DJ. Here's some info on the DJ if you don't know:

http://thepropden.aokforums.com/the-dj-anh-vader-helmet-vt98.html

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:13 pm 

Darth Karo wrote:
Thomas (Sithlord) won that vader helmet on ebay in a close bidding contest against Dcarty. Thomas had castings made by a well known prop guy in the community and he offered castings to a select few. What you see here is one of those castings. That's why it's named SL. Although it is a cleaned up and slightly modified version of the original, it is believed to have come from the same mold as the DJ. Here's some info on the DJ if you don't know

Well to clarify, three people who worked for ILM agree that it came from the ILM mold, including DJ. It has the tells that indicate that it came from that same mold. There's been no cleanup nor modification to the helmet as it is as it came out of the ILM mold, and the ILM mold was taken off the screen original. There is some filling of the undercut on the tubes they did to the screen mask prior to molding, and they added some filler material to the gaps between the teeth, but apart from that, it's all original. So I am curious why you think it is modified and cleaned up, as you mentioned that before but I don't recall you stating why you think that? It's a brother to the DJ, pulled four years earlier, and received in its raw state from the mold. And I don't recall offering anyone an SL, but I was asked.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:08 pm 
Random avatar

Edit - I don't think I am going nuts but Mac did have a comparison pic last post that appears to have disappeared didn't he?

Anyway below was my answer to the pic

Hi Mac,

I did stand back six feet and zoom in :)

I can say though depending on positioning the edge of the neck looks different depending on how it is angled.

I promise to try and get more decent pics but I wanted to get them outside and it has poured with rain for days here.

Scottish summer I am afraid has been rubbish.

Cheers Chris

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:26 pm 

SithLord wrote:
And I don't recall offering anyone an SL, but I was asked.

Ok, you didn't "offer" him one. He just "asked" and received one. I gotcha. A bit of semantics on the word play, but ok. Out of respect for VITC and his thread to show off his helmet, I will refrain from any comment that would be considered negative in nature. I think it's a fine helmet.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:31 pm 

Voice in the crowd,

I did. If Thomas says there is no modification done to the helmet, then I guess there were no modification done to the helmet. Regardless, he said he didn't recall offering anyone castings of an SL, so this helmet you graciously showed us must have just been mistaken by some of us for an SL.

I just couldn't help but notice structural differences between your mask and the DJ, but I retracted my post because any comparative analysis might be seen as picking a fight regarding the SL, and that was not my intent.

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:04 am 

Thanks guys for respecting Chris' thread, but I still do appreciate if there are views about the helmet or questions or concerns about it. As you can imagine I've done quite a few comparisons myself and with helmets like the MP coming to the fore, it just gives me more to study. But ya this is Chris' thread. Yes it's an SL and the particulars about how Chris got one are private. Maybe we can see what Chris comes up with in his own study of it? But I actually don't have anything against Mac posting a comparison, if it is alright with you Chris? Since I missed it and it seems you responded anyway. But it's up to you since it's your photo. I'm curious actually if people do have comments about it yay or nay. I guess you guys can predict my replies by now :lol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:44 am 

SithLord wrote:
Yes it's an SL

How many are you going to produce? I assume it's a very limited number. And what sort of price are the casts?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:58 am 

Sweet helmet Chris, congratulations!!!

SL, ya lucky bugger, gotta love that helmet :thumbsup

Cheers,

Kraig

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:31 am 
Random avatar

I asked too, was "put on a list" then forgotten. I guess thats how the cookie crumbles in this hobby nowerdays./meh

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next