It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:25 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:10 am 

Thanks Thomas.
I believe the provenance on these to be very solid.I defer as far as accuracy is concerned to the more experienced in that field here however as far as their history and authenticity are concerned,and after speaking with Stephen last year about a number of these pieces,I believe they are original,unused production test pieces.
I still stand by my assessment that they were hugely over-priced though but that's Vader stuff for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:09 pm 

bobasfett wrote:
It's pretty obvious that the shins in the Kermit pics are plastic. So, you could infer that since the rest of that tour suit is screen used that the shins were also screen used. A simple conclusion, but speculative as well.

Nah!

I still think they're tour shins.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:57 pm 

I've always had a suspicion that this armor is vac-formed, based on the soft details and how thin it appears to be. It just doesn't look fiberglass to me. Just a theory though as I don't have better shots of it. If they vac-formed the shins, then why not the armor as well?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:14 pm 
Site Admin

Two silver tusks on the face as well and the narrower Board Room scene dome. Is this the second ANH production helmet or one of the tour helmets people keep talking about, but never really show any conclusive pictures of?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:49 pm 

Karo...

I don't know how many of us have just glanced at that photo, looked at the poor dome positioning and moved on.

I just did a comparison of the box with the shots I posted at:

http://thepropden.aokforums.com/anh-box ... t1240.html

I can't seem to match the box in that photo with any of the photos and screen captures in the thread. Moreover, the helmet's paint finish is truly smooth yet it seem so the little nick in the left side of the bridge of the nose near the bottom notch. Perhaps it's cast off of the screen used but really cleaned up before taking paint?

So the idea of ANH promo suits is perhaps more reinforced by this photo?

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:20 pm 

That pic is very intersting. The gloves, cape and inner robe are all ESB. The chestbox is ANH and looks to be the original. The faceplate and dome are ANH, but do not look like the screenused, possibly the second vader helmet that has been spoken about. You know what I think of the chest armor and not sure on the leather suit.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:23 pm 

CSMacLaren wrote:
So the idea of ANH promo suits is perhaps more reinforced by this photo?

Not necessarily Mac considering the combination of ESB and ANH parts. It just show that at the time of this photo, both parts were used for the shoot. I do believe it would have been logical to make some parts for the tour/promo/publicity, but how many of each is the question.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:41 pm 
Site Admin

Darth Karo wrote:
That pic is very intersting. The gloves, cape and inner robe are all ESB. The chestbox is ANH and looks to be the original. The faceplate and dome are ANH, but do not look like the screenused.

I agree The gloves, cape, inner robe and chestbox straps are all geared up to become ESB, possibily even the suit as a wild guess on that one, hard to say as so little of it is shown and the physique does not look like Prowse. I can't say they are 100% screen used but definately share many similarities.

Anyway...The chesbox is screen used IMO as it matches the Corbis picture scuffs etc that were not seen on screen..

Reviews statuemodellarge-figure-review-section-vf203.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:47 pm 

Darth Karo wrote:
That pic is very intersting. The gloves, cape and inner robe are all ESB. The chestbox is ANH and looks to be the original. The faceplate and dome are ANH, but do not look like the screenused, possibly the second vader helmet that has been spoken about. You know what I think of the chest armor and not sure on the leather suit.

That kind of reminds me of the Chronicles Vader in that the dome looks very tall.

- Mac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:48 pm 

The armor appears to be one color too.

- Mac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:43 am 

definitely a strange mix....gee I never bothered to go back and check if that's the screen helmet or not...I always thought it was a tour helmet...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:27 am 
Random avatar
SithLord wrote:
definitely a strange mix....gee I never bothered to go back and check if that's the screen helmet or not...I always thought it was a tour helmet...

I think that it's a screen mask. I can think of two scenes that we see it in ANH.

:cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:02 am 

it's certainly possible but I was thinking of checking the mouth grill alignment and the patterns inside the helmet...too much to do lately :lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:17 pm 
Site Admin

JB-Props wrote:
SithLord wrote:

I think that it's a screen mask. I can think of two scenes that we see it in ANH.
:cheers

I'm thinking the board room scene... but what scenes where you thinking about?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:23 pm 

I think that there is a distinct possibility that picture was taken in
the U.S. as that lid looks like the one used for the pick-ups in Vader's
Tie Fighter.

The dome only looks to tall because of where it is on the facemask.

Remember though that there wasn't a Vac-forming machine at Elstree
until Empire Strikes Back's pre-production.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next