It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:51 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: Don Post Deluxe
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:15 am 
Site Admin

Nope. We have seen the DP DLX master and it matches RotJ tour helmets. Pretty much down the every single detail.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:16 pm 

Ok thanks. The almost identical viewpoint of the two photos above was then what made them look similar. Are there any photos posted of the ROTJ tour helmets?

(UPDATE) Doing the obvious, a forum search for "rotj tour", I did find such photos:

http://thepropden.aokforums.com/vp32607.html?hilit=rotj+tour#p32607

Yes, this is a dead ringer for the DPDLX I'd agree.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:34 am 

I've seen and photographed the ESB tour helmet some 35 years ago, and in the DPDLX I have unknowingly owned a replica of the ROTJ tour helmet for 20 years. With respect to OT tour helmets I'm batting 0.667!

I mentioned the ESB stunt in relation to the DPDLX because I see some, not all, traits that are similar (eyebrow arc, mouth vent, dome shape, cheek corner height, mouth droop). Here in what is probably the least flattering picture I've ever taken of my helmet, I tried to match the lighting and angle of the ESB stunt. I did a horizontal flip of the DLDPX photo to match the same as it appeared in the movie screenshot. What a mouth droop! It's even more apparent in the mirror image.

It do wonder about the lineage (source mold and/or visual reference used) of all the OT tour helmets.

And I was even pondering whether any of the ANH tour helmets might have been used as references for the ESB production helmets; ESB tour for ROTJ production? There would certainly be more surviving tour helmets available to use for such efforts. I know it's more likely the tour helmets were leaf nodes in the lineage branching. And I am 100% sure that ROTJ tour helmets were not the basis for the ROTS helmet. :lol

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:18 pm 

Here's a side-by-side photo comparison of an ROTJ Tour helmet and a DPDLX taken from approximately the same viewing angle:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:28 pm 

Isn't the DP dlx taken from the Steve Sansweet Vader helmet? The one on his mannequin?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:09 pm 

Cking has stated it was. And that the DPDLX was a cleaned up version of it.

Sansweet has said his helmet was used in ESB production but I've not found that he's said it was screen-used.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:27 am 

Matter of fact, I think Sansweet told me the same thing himself. Said that it was on the set but no verification of use.

Or came from the production at least - someone knew he'd purchase if given the chance, etc.

Very cool!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:37 am 

banthapoodoo wrote:
And speaking of Rancho Cucamonga, does anyone know where these helmets were actually made? I thought that these were made as orders came in at Don Post/Party Professionals in California. But I saw a post recently on Facebook by someone who indicated they were made in China which I didn't think was correct but I didn't reply because I wasn't 100% sure that they were not.

I did a bit of sleuthing rummaging through some of my old Star Wars Insider magazines and came across this ad for the DPDLX. This confirms what I recall that it was made in the U.S. I ordered mine from a retailer in Houston or San Antonio who I'd bought several other Don Post masks from. He usually shipped them to me directly from his inventory, but for this particular helmet he said it would come directly from Don Post / Party Professionals, which it did a few weeks after I ordered it from him. So made-to-order from their California studios sounds right too.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:17 am 

Actually that write up is not entirely true. The DPDLX helmets/faceplates were not made by Don Post, they were finished by DP. DP subcontracted out the actual molding and casting to a mannequin making company which would then send them back to DP to be painted and outfitted with tusks, lenses etc. Also, to prevent people trying to pass off a DPDLX as an original helmet (meaning screenused or production made) they placed a small red bead in the nose bridge of every DPDLX that was ever made. So not only will that tell you that you have an original DPDLX, but it will prevent a recast from being attempted to be passed off as an original DPDLX. I'd have to look up the info I have on it to say for sure, but I believe it was a local mannequin making company and not China, but don't quote me on that one. Just a bit of utterly worthless information at this point. :lol

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:48 am 

It's definitely not worthless information to me. I always like learning more about the old guy! It's brought me a lot of enjoyment over the years, neck flare and all. And yeah, I've just spent the last 10 minutes checking the nose bridge with a flashlight. No sign of a red bead on the nose bridge. Should it be visible with the original paint, or is it below the paint? If it's below the paint, I'll take your word for it.

If I ever ran across someone on this forum who worked on these helmets, I would want to thank him/her for their work. The reversed paint scheme and gunmetal paint choice notwithstanding, the quality of the finishing work on these helmets was superb. It's held up beautifully all these years.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:38 pm 

banthapoodoo wrote:
And yeah, I've just spent the last 10 minutes checking the nose bridge with a flashlight. No sign of a red bead on the nose bridge. Should it be visible with the original paint, or is it below the paint? If it's below the paint, I'll take your word for it.

I assume it's beneath the paint and part of the fiberglass. Oh and after reading the document again it just says the helmets were outsourced to a mannequin manufacturer. It does not state whether that was in the US or China.

* Edit: It was relayed to me that Don Post wanted the image of the document I had posted removed, so I am respecting his wishes.

Last edited by Lambotour on Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:37 pm 

I have two DP Deluxes and the red bead is visible in one of them -- the one I refurbed a few years ago. I had wondered where it came from :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:31 pm 
Site Admin

Isn't it kinda dumb to put an identifier marker in a place where it cannot be spotted without stripping the area of paint?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:19 pm 

Well, you could also take a Dremel to that bit and just sand the bead away and no one would be the wiser too I suppose.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:26 pm 
Site Admin

Why would you remove proof that it's a genuine DP DLX?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next