It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:35 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 2:14 pm 

Vadermonkey wrote:

But the pic CS is showing is clearly holed mesh and taken during production. (screen cap)

I also think it "could be" some holed mesh in the later scenes ...

Vadermonkey wrote:
Maybe two helmets were used in filming after all???

I don't think so ...

Vadermonkey wrote:
Or like the lenses were changed, they used holed mesh to hide the actor for some shots.

I think a lot lot of things in ANH went through "modifications" ...

The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon;
the vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:02 pm 
Site Admin

Vadermonkey wrote:
But the pic CS is showing is clearly holed mesh and taken during production. (screen cap)

I think it is too soon to conclude anything from one screen capture. We need more, from different angles to determine anything for real, as I have shown pretty clearly that mesh can be perceived differently depending on which angle it was photographed at.

Vadermonkey wrote:
There is also holed mesh in the publicity stills that Kermit did as well, although over time pieces were changed out etc.

Again, inconclusive, as the pictures are not large enough to determine any such small detail. It's a maybe, at the least, but nothing conclusive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:12 pm 

Ahhhh, but there are large pics available showing the holed mesh.

And that high def screen capture is clearly not diamond, but holed...how much more conclusive can you be?

So my opinion is mods during filming or 2 helmets on screen. Its the only two possible explanations.

And NHM, diamond can look holedd in the right lighting conditions but I this cap and some KE publicity shots are holed. It is a different helmet though in those shots.... that is why I think maybe 2 screen helmets as the Tantive scenes were filmed last and the publicity shots I'm talking about were after ANH. I'll post some examples later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:17 pm 
Site Admin

Well... prompted by this I checked the high-def pictures I had and I still see nothing that convinces me of holed mesh. Everything coincides with lighting shining off the raised areas on the mesh, making them look like white holes on a dark surface... but in none of the pictures are these "holes" the same size or the same shape. One picture has the pattern line up exactly with the Tantive scene mesh, except, there is no bright light shining directly on the mesh to have the raised areas go bright and the low areas go dark, so you can see that it is a mesh. Will do a comp later. I still see no proof that cannot be counterexplained by lighting conditions and angle.

Please explain to me the logic of holes into a dark interior that are white!?!!

Another thing: try to take your mesh and photograph it in a dark room with only a spot-light shining on it and hold it at different angles to simulate the angle in the screen captures. That could be an interesting test to prove or disprove what I'm saying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:38 pm 

Quote:
Everything coincides with lighting shining off the raised areas on the mesh, making them look like white holes on a dark surface...

The same is true more so on hole stamped mesh. That is why you get the white behind black effect.

I'll get some pics together....should be fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 12:05 am 
Random avatar
Again, there is no holed mesh used on the film helmets.
I thought I'd put an end to the discussion with a definitive answer but I guess not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:32 am 

GINO wrote:
I thought I'd put an end to the discussion with a definitive answer but I guess not.

Care to share some photo's Gino?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:21 am 

No harm in a friendly discussion though....

Quote:

I guess the appropriate question for those of us who dont know is why is your answer the definitive answer. And I dont mean that rude or disrespectful, but it does come across a little wise-guy when you put it that way. :wink: Anyway, I've seen your Vaders....they speak for themselves!

So the very next shot shows diamond mesh. So clearly I stand corrected.

As for the light, it still shows up white behind black in the holed stuff.

The stuff I like to use is the leaf guard diamond mesh found on Jaguars under the wiper arms. It also looks like holes when the light hits it. Very cool stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 3:08 am 

Great shot :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 3:13 am 
Random avatar
Didn't mean for it to come across that way. If I didn't know for sure, I wouldn't have said it in a definitive way. I'm just trying to help but understand if people want to follow their own path to the answer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 3:14 am 
Random avatar
Also, if it helps, the white you are seeing is just the highlights on the diamond mesh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 3:19 am 

GINO wrote:
Also, if it helps, the white you are seeing is just the highlights on the diamond mesh.

Yes you can see the ridges quite clearly in the above photo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 4:05 am 

Yeah, thats why I posted that peticular pic.....

I just jumped into it without any prior research. :dope

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:42 am 

Quote:

Guys,

This is the same set of scenes my screen-cap came from. I think it's a stretch to say that there is absolutely no way this an array of circular holes. You would have to take into account the direction of the light. Also if the light is entering through the lenses and is illuminating Prowse's face, then the light coming through the small triangle could very well be escaping through the holes of the sheet metal. Also, this could be thin sheet metal too.

Given the angle of photography, I think that keeping the audience of catching a glimpse of Prowse's skin through the triangular vent would have been important. It's easier to cover this up with a sheet with sparse holes than a wire mesh.

I agree with you GINO that the following is a mesh:

... but not the TIE fighter scene. VaderMonkey, let's look at your screen capture more closely. These circular patterns do not strike me as reflections in a mesh.

I'm not saying it's impossible this is mesh. I just personally find it a stretch to say with all certainty that it is.

Screen caps courtesy of Darth Kahnt.

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:42 am 
Site Admin

CSMacLaren wrote:
I'm not saying it's impossible this is mesh. I just personally find it a stretch to say with all certainty that it is.

When it has been established that Vader had a mesh in that chin vent in other scenes, why assume it is something else in other scenes.

I'm not saying anything definitive, as it is well known that they did make changes during filming to try to hide Prowse's face and mouth from being seen through there, but so far the accounts have only described additional smaller holed mesh behind the first and black cloth.

If it was a holed piece of metal and not mesh, then the holes would be consistent in shape and position, but they are not. The white parts correspond exactly with light shining on the raised parts of diamond mesh.

I'll try to get that comparison made... though... just woke up - I know... pretty late - so am still a bit tired for tedious work! :lol

And discussions... even though the answer may have been given... is good for the soul! :thumbsup