It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:49 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:55 pm 
Site Admin

I don't see any harm in adding a mesh (non permanently), but P L E A S E don't add the velcro.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:10 pm 

Just to clarify in case I have been unclear...this is not my helmet nor do I own a screen used mask of any kind.

This thread is just some thoughts I had as I get closer to helping with the display of this mask.

So I hope I have not been confusing. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:24 pm 

Vadermonkey wrote:
Just to clarify in case I have been unclear...this is not my helmet nor do I own a screen used mask of any kind.

This thread is just some thoughts I had as I get closer to helping with the display of this mask.

If you're coming into contact with the actual prop then the same would apply. It's like any museum piece. If you're the curator, you're essentially borrowing or buying pieces. Pieces that are on loan would never be modified unless the owner and the auction houses and museum agree that such restoration would preserve or increase the value of the piece. Sometimes it is necessary to do some enhancements to, say, arrest deterioration, etc.

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:18 pm 

Vadermonkey wrote:

Confusing? No....huh....what...wait a minute....ok now I get it. :lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:53 am 

Well I have just been told they are open to non permanent enhancements. The helmet will be easy and the mesh, any thoughts on how to affix it without glue? Maybe some sort of putty?

Keeping in mind there is foam in it and we dont want anything that will melt in heat or fall off as the piece will be behind glass and remain there.

Hot glue would work I suppose. It would hold it and come off again with out alot of cleanup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:01 am 

Hot glue can leave a residue, and you'd have to use heat to get rid of the glue; heat can affect the paint and cause blisters if this isn't done just right.

So my suggestion is to cut it oversize and use some blue masking tape or that white parcel tape -- it's paper, and simply use that to hold it in place.

Another idea is this: go to Walgreens or CVS and find some white silicone ear plugs. A box will contain 8-12. Use those. Those won't harm the finish and has enough of a tacky feel to temporarily hold the grill in place.

- Mac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:19 am 

Remember the grill will be on the acrylic surface (inside) hot glue should just sort of pop off and clean fairly easy with a cotton swab dipped in a cleaner like googone. (I'm talking a drip of glue in each corner)

The tape is a good idea except we do not want it to be seen from the outside as the perspex is pretty transparent in person....maybe black vinyl tape cut into thinner strips??

Tell me more about the earplugs.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:30 am 

Vadermonkey wrote:
Remember the grill will be on the acrylic surface (inside) hot glue should just sort of pop off and clean fairly easy with a cotton swab dipped in a cleaner like googone. (I'm talking a drip of glue in each corner)

The tape is a good idea except we do not want it to be seen from the outside as the perspex is pretty transparent in person....maybe black vinyl tape cut into thinner strips??

Tell me more about the earplugs.....

The earplugs are a soft gel-like putty-like substance. They're basically silicone. They won't stain. They're inert and won't harm the interior finish, IMHO. There would be no mess.

- Mac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:04 pm 

Lucky guy, playing with a helmet that nice....

I agree that removable restoration for display is the key. You need to be sure that you do not damage that piece of history.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:49 pm 

I own an original ROTJ Stormtrooper helmet that has been restored and believe me anything you replace or modify will adversly affect the value of the piece. High end collectors want things dirty, mucky and screen accurate in my experience. Non permanant additions are ok as long as they have no effect on the paintwork etc.

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:19 pm 

Well I have an accurate size piece of era mesh ready. I'll show you what I come up with for mounting it.

As for the helmet, I'll be suggesting a foam system to place it correctly.

Thank you all for your input...it has proven valuable. I will keep you posted and bring pics when this all happens!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:04 pm 

Funny, I was thinking a foam system for my Golden Armor. I'd get one of those party balloons and squirt the foam into the balloon, so in that way the foam will always have a container. And before it fully cures, I can press the dome to shape.

But I'd also advise roping off this setup because if someone pushed Vader, you don't want the dome disloging and falling to the ground.

- Mac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:49 pm 
Site Admin

Just realized what this means... h oh crap... would just like to say that The Prop Den wavers ALL responsibility for the advise of its users and admin and cannot be held accountable if anything bad happens! :blah

Good luck man... and you got my support in whatever you decide to do. :thumbsup

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:31 pm 

NoHumorMan wrote:
Just realized what this means... h oh crap... would just like to say that The Prop Den wavers ALL responsibility for the advise of its users and admin and cannot be held accountable if anything bad happens! :blah

Good luck man... and you got my support in whatever you decide to do. :thumbsup

CHICKEN. :an22 :toothy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:10 pm 

Yeah NHM.....dont be such a sissy! :lol

As for the mask, I supplied them with DP's measurments and they have constructed a custom mannequin for the suit. So the original strapping will hold it on the figure.

The foam will be added to the back of the head to hold the dome forward and a thin piece of foam in the front to keep it the correct distance away from the face. And I'm talking craft foam.