It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:49 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: EFX 1.1 PCR Darth Vader ANH helmet review 2016
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:29 am 

I was just about to get the PCR helmet before I read this review. Given the asking price, I was really hoping for better accuracy (if not quality) than that, but that's just me. I guess I'll try looking for one of the fiberglass helmets but I gather that they don't pop up online very often. Hopefully, a solution will present itself.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:06 am 

Really happy about my pcr helmet. Just wish that the faceplate wasn’t so thin at the base

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:01 am 

VEGAS VADER wrote:
Really happy about my pcr helmet. Just wish that the faceplate wasn’t so thin at the base

Yeah it flexes quite a bit when you pick it up from the back of the mask. This is where I usually pick up my heavier fiberglass helmets. It's closer to the center of gravity. With this PCR helmet, to remove it from my paper towel holder stand, I tilt it forward and lift it from the bottom of the mask closer to the front where it doesn't flex.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:56 am 

I'm very new to Vader Helmets so excuse my lack of experience. I own a pretty good unlicensed ESB fiberglass helmet from a stunt helmet mold. I wanted to add a low cost ANH helmet to my collection just to show comparisons between the two and also to use the ANH cheap helmet on a life-sized Vader display. I ordered the EFX PCR Special Edition to get something at least a little weathered looking. While waiting for it to arrive, I read this review thread and was really depressed by the comments about being undersized. However when I got the EFX Special Edition and put it beside my quality ESB, I don't really see the smaller size that people mention here. I measured the domes in wrap-around fashion with a good tape and they are nearly identical at about 82 cm circumference on the ESB and 83.5 cm circumference on the ANH from EFX. If I wiggle the measure tape a bit I can get slightly different numbers +/- but they seem really similar. Also visually the sizes seem about the same. On my photo, the ESB sits just a fraction higher because it has thick foam padding in it. Otherwise, both helmets are sitting on identical hat stands.

I'll also mention that the C scar on mine doesn't look "like a retarded monkey put it on with a sharpie" as someone said earlier. This one seems sort of okay to me, but then the rest of the mask really lacks any other weathering at all. At least the brushed sliver paint looks good to me and that was worth the extra $30 for the "Special Edition". I suppose I can add a little weathering of my own as others have done.

Overall, I'm happy with it purely as a casual display piece. The one thing I totally have to agree on and I'm quite sad about is the very, extremely light weight plastic used. If the sole reason for that light plastic was just to reduce cost, they cut the wrong corner for sure. The light weight plastic really kills the impression of anything one would be proud of in a serious collection. But again, it sure looks awesome in a man cave and should be great on my life sized ANH Vader build.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:59 am 

measurements of the quality ESB dome vs. EFX PCR Special Edition dome... pretty close

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:40 pm 

calico1997 wrote:
I'm very new to Vader Helmets so excuse my lack of experience. I own a pretty good unlicensed ESB fiberglass helmet from a stunt helmet mold. I wanted to add a low cost ANH helmet to my collection just to show comparisons between the two and also to use the ANH cheap helmet on a life-sized Vader display. I ordered the EFX PCR Special Edition to get something at least a little weathered looking. While waiting for it to arrive, I read this review thread and was really depressed by the comments about being undersized. However when I got the EFX Special Edition and put it beside my quality ESB, I don't really see the smaller size that people mention here. I measured the domes in wrap-around fashion with a good tape and they are nearly identical at about 82 cm circumference on the ESB and 83.5 cm circumference on the ANH from EFX. If I wiggle the measure tape a bit I can get slightly different numbers +/- but they seem really similar. Also visually the sizes seem about the same. On my photo, the ESB sits just a fraction higher because it has thick foam padding in it. Otherwise, both helmets are sitting on identical hat stands.

I'll also mention that the C scar on mine doesn't look "like a retarded monkey put it on with a sharpie" as someone said earlier. This one seems sort of okay to me, but then the rest of the mask really lacks any other weathering at all. At least the brushed sliver paint looks good to me and that was worth the extra $30 for the "Special Edition". I suppose I can add a little weathering of my own as others have done.

Overall, I'm happy with it purely as a casual display piece. The one thing I totally have to agree on and I'm quite sad about is the very, extremely light weight plastic used. If the sole reason for that light plastic was just to reduce cost, they cut the wrong corner for sure. The light weight plastic really kills the impression of anything one would be proud of in a serious collection. But again, it sure looks awesome in a man cave and should be great on my life sized ANH Vader build.

Its the lack of weathering that makes the c scar look like someone used a sharpie to add it on. It looks bad on yours too IMO

Profile E-mail