It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:16 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: Brian Muir Ultimate Vader
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 6:56 pm 

I was playing around with adding a ANH-style widows peak to one of my ESB domes and found the only "sculpting tool" I needed was... a spoon! I could use it to shape the bottom curvature and to make the Y and V indentations by pressing the edge and the bottom tip of the spoon, respectively, into some added-on sculpting material.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:18 pm 
Random avatar

Good looking lid but personally I'd rather have something from Mac or Stone for the money. Coolness factor though with it being from the original prop sculptor for sure.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:03 pm 

banthapoodoo wrote:
Here's another pic. Definitely the Brian Muir Ultimate helmet:

There's something odd about the mask/helmet, the dome looks tilted too far forward and clearly sitting too high.
And the face looks kind of flat/pushed in (pug-like).

What am I seeing here?

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:28 pm 

I think you're seeing a poorly constructed photo - aka, photography too close with a wide angle lens at an unflattering angle for the first two issues resulting in a distorted image.

It's also possible, and rather likely, the dome is place poorly on the faceplate, and the helmet overall is placed poorly on the statue.

So far there isn't a real good photo captured of the Brian Muir helmet. You almost have to trust the geometry and the man who sculpted the helmet. :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:06 pm 

Fatherless One wrote:

There's something odd about the mask/helmet, the dome looks tilted too far forward and clearly sitting too high.
And the face looks kind of flat/pushed in (pug-like).

What am I seeing here?

Yeah, I think you're right. Starting with an ROTJ, the center stripe was made even wider and higher (instead of narrowing it to make it more ANH-looking). The nose looks to have been broadened too perhaps to match up with the width of the center stripe.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:01 am 

The Y crease on the widows peak is odd too.

My comments aren't meant as insults towards the great Brian Muir, I love his work :salut

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:54 pm 

definitely some issues with the helmet. I was just saying elsewhere, in some ways it seems Brian, or whomever produced this helmet, did rather quickly and didn't sit down to study the work of his original helmet and bring it closer to the final ANH production helmet.

Still, judging by this image, it still has a damn good Vader look - though I'd have dcarty repaint it. :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 1:02 am 

Perhaps this version will end up in Rogue One? If so, opinions will flip flop like hummingbirds wings..... happy w my GH ANH #13. and GH ROTJ #13 unpainted and unfinished........

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 7:29 pm 

That's my guess, as well. This is going to be the Rogue One Vader lid - it's already been sculpted, and it's closer to the ANH Vader lid than the ROTS lid ever was.

I just received my first ANH Vader in the mail yesterday. Wildly happy. Will likely end up with two more before the end of the year, as my ESB Vader shows up at my door (I believe) next Friday. :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 8:46 pm 

craigjohn wrote:
That's my guess, as well. This is going to be the Rogue One Vader lid - it's already been sculpted, and it's closer to the ANH Vader lid than the ROTS lid ever was.

I just received my first ANH Vader in the mail yesterday. Wildly happy. Will likely end up with two more before the end of the year, as my ESB Vader shows up at my door (I believe) next Friday. :D

Photo's man photo's ... we need photo's :thumbsup

Congratulations mate :cheers

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 11:00 pm 

Well, they will do what they will do with the Darth Vader costume and I am hoping that whatever that is they will "get it right". If they have a copy of the ANH helmet at their disposal I'm not sure why they would go with the newer sculpt. That said, if they chose not to use the Rick Baker molds I would certainly welcome the Ultimate edition as a runner up. The bottom line is that it has to fit Spencer Wilding, armor and everything, so I wouldn't be surprised if they chose to do a new sculpt from the ground up. Though from what I can tell he has a similar physique to what David Prowse had in his prime (apart from being slightly taller).

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 12:07 am 

A few pics will be coming, but I'll have take the TM agreement into account - so...?!?...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 12:14 am 

dcarty wrote:
Well, they will do what they will do with the Darth Vader costume and I am hoping that whatever that is they will "get it right". If they have a copy of the ANH helmet at their disposal I'm not sure why they would go with the newer sculpt. That said, if they chose not to use the Rick Baker molds I would certainly welcome the Ultimate edition as a runner up. The bottom line is that it has to fit Spencer Wilding, armor and everything, so I wouldn't be surprised if they chose to do a new sculpt from the ground up. Though from what I can tell he has a similar physique to what David Prowse had in his prime (apart from being slightly taller).

Never really thought of that - good point. So it's possible Vader could be an all new sculpt. Spencer is, what? 6-7? He's going to be a HUGE imposing Vader. :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:14 pm 

(sorry I posted this already on the other thread about the Brian Muir helmet. I think this thread is more current so I'm copying it over here)

Here are the first oficial images for the movie depicting Vader. They're not pictures but judging by the way the artist captured everyoneelses likeness (that we've already seen), its a safe bet that this is what Vader looks like in the movie. Although according to the paint pattern on the face mask, it looks like the image used for reference was inverted, in true classic Vader promo style. The other detail that gives away the inverted image is the tusks color. The darker one is on the wearers left on this artist depiction.

Good to see that its nothing like the Brian Muir Ultimate helmet and more like the original ANH. Nothing against Brian's helmet, just think this look is more appropriate for a pre-ANH movie.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:39 pm 

Brian's helmet looks like a ROTJ forced to change into ANH. It just looks way to forced.

It has the general shape and look of the screen Vader but I see nothing but ROTJ in the face. And the Dome strip just looks bad. It the ROTJ strip just sharpened up and widows peak added. its to wide and looks bad.

Who ever it may be, Brian or a contracted sculptor, rushed it and didn't study the original Brian Muir sculpt at all. Any other option out there is far more screen accurate.

But I wonder if Brain would be willing to sell unaltered casting of that ROTJ helmet. I would so buy one.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next