It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:29 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:03 pm 

You should be fine using chrome or another metallic as a base coat. One really simple method for weathering is to use yellow mustard. just shoot some mustard in the spots where you want the metal to show through and let it dry to a crust. Be sure not to use gobs of it or you wont get it to dry thoroughly.

After you paint your colors over top either scratch the mustard off with your fingers or wipe with a wet cloth. Be sure that your top colors have properly cured beforehand though. Then top off the whole helmet with a fine black wash to get it properly aged and dirty lookin.

The hand sander would work but it would most def. be labor intensive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:10 pm 

slasher x wrote:
You should be fine using chrome or another metallic as a base coat. One really simple method for weathering is to use yellow mustard. just shoot some mustard in the spots where you want the metal to show through and let it dry to a crust. Be sure not to use gobs of it or you wont get it to dry thoroughly.

After you paint your colors over top either scratch the mustard off with your fingers or wipe with a wet cloth. Be sure that your top colors have properly cured beforehand though. Then top off the whole helmet with a fine black wash to get it properly aged and dirty lookin.

The hand sander would work but it would most def. be labor intensive.

Yellow mustard like the stuff they use on sandwiches? To act as a paint resist / mask? Interesting.

I guess I should use the creamy rather than the granular Gray Poupon!

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:14 pm 

Yep, just your standard plochmann's or french's or whatever brand you desire, yellow sandwich mustard. You know how on the cap there is generally a crusty build up from the last use you always have to pick off. Or at least when you grow up in a house with brothers who are slobs, that is what happens.

Well I was down on cash and one day just thought that hmmm it might just actually work as a masking agent so I tried it, and sure enough. :lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:35 am 
Site Admin

Interesting technique, with the mustard! :thumbsup

CSM, have you considered what type of chrome you want? I would think a steel color would work better, but I guess that with all the weathering that the chrome would end up looking like a brushed steel color. Don't sand chrome or it would lose its shine, iirc. Just paint it on in high gloss, paint all the rest and then weather with black to tone down the shine.

Good luck. You are tackling one of the most difficult helmets to paint, afaik.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:39 am 

Thanks for the mustard. I already bought some!

So today, I did some more cleanup and detailing of the eye slot. I also squared the cheek hollow on the outside, so that the corners are sharper and not rounded.

After photographing it, I decided to sell it. I posted it for sale on TheDentedHelmet, and someone spoke for it pretty quickly, so payment's pending.

Honestly, I'm very good at starting projects but not finishing them. I have too many "stokes in the fire" as it were:

1. Darth Ugly
2. Golden Armor Vader
3. Rescued Don Post Deluxe
4. Homer1138 DP DLX recast
5. Rubie's Supreme

When I looked at how complex Boba Fett's paint scheme was, I thought it was too big a distraction. I couldn't justify the cost of the paint to go into a Golden Armor Fett when I have 5 Vaders (e.g. Darth Incomplete, Darth Unfinished, Darth Come-on-You-Moron, Darth Hey-Quit-Slacking, and Darth ARE-WE-THERE-YET?!) waiting on me for more detailed work.

So this concludes the Golden Armor Boba Fett. It turns out it was based on a 1995 Don Post. However, Golden Armor did a modification to make the face wider to make it look more like the Sgt. Fang "Mystery" helmet, so despite its flaws it really does have some charm.

Let me get those 5 Vaders out of the way first, and then I'll re-examine Boba Fett. At that point, I'll probably go for a SgtFang or something else. But, knowing me, I'll probably have two more Vader investments quite soon....

- Mac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:25 am 

Hey Mac....thats kind of a shame your selling. The clean up looked great and you always could have come up with your own paint style. If I were to do one of those I'd opt for something fresh rather than bobba or jango.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:20 am 

oh dear oh dear you really have a knack of procuring nightmare helmets man :lol
fantastic clean up though mate unrecognisable from the first pics you are the star wars helmet equivalent of an alchemist :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:56 am 

An Alchemist? I'd rather be a chemist! I'd love to find some lovely acid that eats up all this crud and leaves the interior smooth. I long for a sander with a curved panel instead of a flat panel.

Thanks. I didn't procure this. Both this Boba Fett kit and the Clone Trooper were given to me by G.A. -- I guess in lieu of giving me a refund. I've since "adopted" the Vader and tried to give it some value.

- Mac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:58 am 
Site Admin

Good luck with your sale! :thumbsup