It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:15 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 777 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 52  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: eFX ANH Vader?!?! WOW
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:07 pm 

Too Much Garlic wrote:
The source and lineage is over the top for a licensed replica, so if they can keep the sanitation to a minimum and don't fuck up on the paint job... the chance of getting something as lovely as the DJ helmet is a very high possibility. The fan owned casts from this mold will only be marginally better. ?

It is definitely the best news in Vader circles regarding licensed pieces that has been announced for as long as I can remember.

Agreed, although like you say it'll all come down to how good the paint job is - the guys in China did a wonderful job on the Boba with stencills and tampo so there is hope.

Lineage-wise its extremely "marketable" if you know what I mean, "created from the original mould taken from the original helmet found in the LFL archives" - gets the juices flowing.

Too Much Garlic wrote:
I'm not sure I know the eFX product ideas... but do they have any plans of less expensive options, like MR had with some of their runs? With this cast they could make the best lightweight troopable helmet in injection molded ABS... a worthy successor of the old DP CA... or is that not something they have the license for?

Though they havent decided on this IMO its a dead cert since much of the work has already been done. From a licensing perspecive you can usually find ways of making stuff like this happen, especially if you look at the wording in the respective contracts - for example the price point its marketed at has a big influence hence (again IMO) a $130-150 "Classic Action" version sometime down the road will happen. Financially its a real winner.

Cheers

Jez

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:19 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Jez, for sharing this info with us on The Den! :thumbsup

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:04 pm 
Site Admin

Sweet... 'cause the Rubies Supreme was made of the perfect material for one of these "cheap" helmets. Better than the DP CA, which was made of vinyl, but had the shape and details being more accurate than the Rubies.

So... if an ABS injection molded eFX budget helmet is ever made... it'll blow the Rubies Supreme and the old DP CA out of the water. It will be a no contest kinda deal, imo. If they don't mess with the shape and details for that version.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:31 pm 

Thanks for the info Jez.
Sounds like this could be the one we've all been waiting for?
Lets hope so.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:55 am 
Site Admin

Was just thinking... they've picked one hell of a time to come out with the coolest helmet prop replica ever. The interest in the community is down all over and people are dirt poor. Hell... I may not even be able to afford one. Getting slammed with insane losses due to Danish Post again and again really takes its toll.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:56 am 

Thanks guys

TBH I'm not sure of the order/delivery schedule for this but given the RMQ has only just started shipping (I think) and then there's the Luke Skywalker X-Wing Pilot(s?) helmets to come next - I wonder if this is something thats going to arrive before Xmas - that is unless they decide to fast track it?

I presume they'll announce likely dates at SDCC

Cheers

Jez

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:44 am 
Site Admin

StarWars Collector wrote:
Thanks Jez, for sharing this info with us on The Den! :thumbsup

I echo that :cheers

Reviews statuemodellarge-figure-review-section-vf203.html

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:01 pm 

Looking forward to see what happens

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:05 pm 
Site Admin

For an injection molded helmet... they should just do it in gloss black and then people can paint on the gunmetal themselves. The glossy ABS plastic look on the Rubies Supreme is actually pretty damn good for Vader. All you gotta do is lightly sand the areas where you want to paint it grey and just mask all the black areas... paint, let it dry and you're done.

If they are worried about sales... they should look into getting the kit license and then make kits to order that people have to assemble themselves, like you see with hard hats (they come in pieces and people have to assemble them on their own). Just screw together, add decals if such are needed, glue in lenses... and you got a pretty snassy piece.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:21 pm 
Random avatar

Too Much Garlic wrote:
For an injection molded helmet... they should just do it in gloss black and then people can paint on the gunmetal themselves. The glossy ABS plastic look on the Rubies Supreme is actually pretty damn good for Vader. All you gotta do is lightly sand the areas where you want to paint it grey and just mask all the black areas... paint, let it dry and you're done.

If they are worried about sales... they should look into getting the kit license and then make kits to order that people have to assemble themselves, like you see with hard hats (they come in pieces and people have to assemble them on their own). Just screw together, add decals if such are needed, glue in lenses... and you got a pretty snassy piece.

This is actually a really good idea! (at least to us poor folks who can't afford the premium charged for limited editions...)

TMG makes a sound point regarding the Rubies supreme..the finish on the dome was superb, hence a lot of folks don't bother to refine it. The sharpness of the finished product was also excellent. (well on the mask anyway...)

Here's hoping there are more than 2 options on this piece.

Rich

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:12 pm 

clancampbell wrote:
Here's hoping there are more than 2 options on this piece.

Rich

Like I said, my (educated) guess is that it will happen. However I dont think it will be until some time after the other versions come out. Despite them being different products they#'ll still want to ensure they get decent sales of the full price fiberglass helmets before hitting the lower-end market.

However this could all change if a retailer suddenly says, we want 1,000 in time for Halloween!!!

Cheers

Jez

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:51 pm 

Too Much Garlic wrote:

What you said also works for a theoretical TIE Pilot product! :thumbsup

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:57 am 
Site Admin

Well, I think I'm already sold. :thumbsup

Thanks for the info! (and if you have any extra info on that X-Wing helmet that you can share, please feel free :wink: )
It's great to see they're consulting the fans (specifically well informed fans) for these things.

If this was facebook, I'd "like" it. :cool: :blah

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:59 am 

Jez,

Can you mention to them to do a C-3PO some time?

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:34 pm 
Random avatar

This is such great news for those of us who will never be able to get one of the true "lineage" mask and helmets.
If this has the right shape then it can be used for all the other OT helmets also.

Chris

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 777 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 52  Next