It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:20 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:34 pm 

Voluus,

These are great shots! Were you using a tripod and longer exposure times?

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:57 pm 
Random avatar

No, if I'd known I coulda got away with a tripod, I would have... the exhibit was nearly empty - was it old by the time of Celebration Europe? Anyway, my Canon EOS 5D has no built-in flash (although I've never gotten very good flash pics at a SW exhibit due to reflections) and I was going strictly handheld, so I had no choice but to open the ISO out to 3200 to minimize shake. Trouble is, it lets in all sorts of pixel noise,plus some colorful striping artifacts that my previous EOS20D didn't do. To minimize this, I set the camera for multi-shot and hold the button down for (usually) 3 identical shots. Later I align them in Photoshop, with the bottom copy at 100% opacity, the second faded to 50% and the third to 33%. The different noise of each copy averages out and minimizes nicely. The more copies you can do this with, the better the result. There is commercial software like Neat Image and Noise Ninja which do excellent noise removal, but when detail is paramount, I prefer my method because it corrects an image by adding more "good" information, rather than the software removing "bad" information and replacing it with manufactured data. Obviously my method only works on still life with the luxury of a few seconds for multiple shots! :)

All this is academic, however, because I just saw the other Expo photos here, not to mention the RPF Paris photos, and I feel like Wayne and Garth in front of Alice Cooper... "We're not worthy!" Maybe my shots offer a difference because they aren't blown out by flash or too-close focus like many cameras do. In any case, thanx for the kind words!

- Ken -

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:27 am 

Great pics Ken what are the others you have ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:53 am 
Site Admin

Ken, awesome pics mate! :thumbsup

Btw: Welcome to The Den and have fun! :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:09 am 
Random avatar
Volguus: you made some marvelous pictures. Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Exhibition & Tour Vader Pictures
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:07 am 

I've posted these elsewhere but thought they belonged here as well. These are from a tour event in Macon, Georgia 1980-ish (before the release of TESB). Boba was also present. BTW, I blame this event for my current ANH Vader quest! :) Feel free to copy and spread them around wherever. I just wish they were better quality images.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:20 pm 
Site Admin

Those are very cool! :thumbsup

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:42 am 
Random avatar

Thanks for posting :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:39 pm 

Yea, I love seeing people who forgot they had those or are just now finding them! Awesome stuff!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:52 pm 
Site Admin

Vader from Star Wars in Concert. It was really difficult getting pictures with the huge crowd around. Got some more pictures from the exhibit in the Star Wars gallery. :thumbsup

Image Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:22 pm 
Random avatar

Awesome pics :drool Thanks for posting :thumbsup

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:08 pm 

Freakengine, great photos....as well as the other photos here of tour Vaders :thumbsup

In that first ANH tour photo by Freakengine, looks like the lense tint had partially come off...there's a gap between the dark part of the lense and the edge of the eye. Also it is a bit hard to tell if it had a grill in the chin vent....although probably did.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:41 am 

Hey Fetty...was the Vader in your pics a fan made? Reason i ask is the armor looks small..and i swear the belt and boxes look like my old sith armor set. Right down to the texture of the side of the boxes. Could just be me..but the whole set up looks...I dunno..wrong..?..

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:13 am 
Site Admin

T-VIRUS wrote:
Hey Fetty...was the Vader in your pics a fan made? Reason i ask is the armor looks small..and i swear the belt and boxes look like my old sith armor set. Right down to the texture of the side of the boxes. Could just be me..but the whole set up looks...I dunno..wrong..?..

Nope, it was the Vader on display behind glass at the Star Wars concert.

I have no idea what the story is behind it, but maybe someone else here does. My favorite detail is the clever "LFL 1995" written on the chestbox. :lol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:40 am 

It doesn't look like much has been going on here for 6 months or so, But... "Where Science Meets the Imagination" is in Seattle (12 hour drive, hour and a half by plane, but definitely within striking distance), and I am making the trip up there in a week and a half. Armed with a digital camera, a tripod, 3 packs of 16 Duracell batteries, a portable light source, and as much time as I can stand, (on a Tuesday and Wednesday for light traffic at the exhibit), to take as many pictures as I can before someone tells me to leave. The Vader Costume on display sports a ROTJ helmet, I beleive is used in the scene where Palpatine tells Luke, "Take your Jedi weapon, strike me down with it...." I will post the best of these pictures here as soon as possible, along with a comparison of the 'Vader' in the fore mentioned scene.

Also, take a look at my avatar, this is from a 'Personal Appearance' in 1983. I am working on digitizing and enlarging these pics (3 x 5 Kodak prints) and posting them. While this costume is clearly meant to represent a ROTJ Vader, I believe I have also identified this helmet with a 'known' helmet, as well as, traced this helmet back to it's origins on film (not nessesarily Return of the Jedi). It was missing a tusk, but the tubes were not broken.

John

Profile E-mail