It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:27 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: So I just asked Gary Kurtz...
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:22 pm 
Site Admin

gonk27 wrote:
It would interesting to know if all four casts were finished off the same way, presumably if just one was used on screen, that would be the only one with metallic highlights?

There exists pictures of one other with two-tone paint scheme. It is the "two silver tusks" helmet. Jez has a picture of it on his site, with the vac-formed chest armor, raised dome and flanked by troopers. SL has shown another picture of that helmet - his avatar.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:37 pm 
Random avatar

OOOHHHH! I smell an update to the Tour Vader page coming on Star Wars Helmets. Please do it. I'd love to see some more pics. :wink:

William Shakespeare

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:42 pm 

Cibernite wrote:
OOOHHHH! I smell an update to the Tour Vader page coming on Star Wars Helmets. Please do it. I'd love to see some more pics. :wink:

HD please Jez!!!

Guys, I was thinking, maybe it would be an idea to paste any pictures we have
of known and suspected ANH tour and screen suits.

I don't think we should just limit this to helmets.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:51 pm 

JEZ: 6 FEET!!! :thumbsup

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:56 pm 
Site Admin

HAL9000 wrote:
Guys, I was thinking, maybe it would be an idea to paste any pictures we have
of known and suspected ANH tour and screen suits.

Yes, I think it would be a good opportunity to gather all known pictures and organize them on StarWarsHelmets with dates and appearances, if that is possible.

I've tried to sort out all my pictures, saving location and date as much as possible... but it's difficult and I've long since lost track of where I found them... so I'm basically sitting without the ability of acquiring permission for many of them or being able to acknowledge the source of them to give them proper credit. It's frustrating.

We definitely know of the Chronicles helmet - it is without a doubt the screen used helmet and it is the same that is seen at the Grauman's footprint ceremony. What can be discerned from that is that by that time it has been repainted, but some parts of the paint work is still the original ANH.

So far I've only seen two picture of the other finished helmet, I may remember wrong and there may be more and I'm sure SL can correct this, as he's spent more time searching for it than I have. It is noticeably different from the screen used, when you know what to look for.

And then there is the ESB Movie Poster helmet. It is unconfirmed whether it is one of the four screen casts or if it was cast later from the mold producing the SL & DJ helmets (the reason I put it in the same category as these, is because they share a great deal of structural similarities to each other and I believe it was mentioned that it didn't have cast tabs, same as the SL/DJ.)

But, since I don't know who to contact for permission... how do we go about gathering these together for sorting and categorising on StarWarsHelmets?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:22 am 

Too Much Garlic wrote:
There exists pictures of one other with two-tone paint scheme. It is the "two silver tusks" helmet. Jez has a picture of it on his site, with the vac-formed chest armor, raised dome and flanked by troopers. SL has shown another picture of that helmet - his avatar.

I actually haven't compared the photo Jez has with the one in my avatar, so although they have both two silver tusks there are a few more things I would have to check...but part of the problem is one is a left side view and the other is a top front view...but my initial impression is that they are not the same.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:46 am 

Too Much Garlic wrote:
And then there is the ESB Movie Poster helmet. It is unconfirmed whether it is one of the four screen casts or if it was cast later from the mold producing the SL & DJ helmets (the reason I put it in the same category as these, is because they share a great deal of structural similarities to each other and I believe it was mentioned that it didn't have cast tabs, same as the SL/DJ.)

I looked again at the MP helmet as I thought it was likely cast from the Rick Baker mold, albeit one that was cleaned up a bit (or just painted over with too much paint). But now I'm seeing a lot of things about it that indicate that might possibly be a generation down (or not directly from the mold)...as the differences I see are not accountable from it just having thick paint. There are some things in common with the SL and some other things that are lacking. It really seems like a tour ANH helmet, or perhaps it is a copy of one. Perhaps they took a casting from the Rick Baker mold, cleaned it up, and molded it to make the tour helmets...because at least the tube convergence seems to be similar from one particular tour helmet. However, the tube undercut being filled in suggests that it is from that lineage, but at this point it seems unlikely the MP was uniquely different coming out of the Rick Baker mold. The reason I say this is that the DJ, which is painted and cleaned up a tad here and there, still very much looks like a brother to the SL. I'm not saying this to put the MP down since it is clearly a tour helmet, but this could tell us something about the nature of the tour helmets, and definitely I need to compare the MP with ANH tour helmets in more detail before I can say "yes the differences on the MP are seen on other ANH tour helmets so they could all have come from a single Rick Baker casting". Of course, better images of the MP would always help... :cool:

Edit: I looked again at that photo of Vader on the Death Star in front of the troopers and there's no question that it is the same screen helmet we see throughout the film.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:56 pm 

I am of the mind that we only ever see ONE helmet on screen the entire time in ANH, hence only ONE screen helmet/suit, regardless of what anyone says. Perhaps another set of parts was made, and I'd have done that, too, ifIi were the producer; but on that budget, I doubt they did... things still cost even in those days... especially manpower. On only, what... $1200-ish?