It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:57 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:53 pm 

The Elstree ANH faceplate's eye lenses seem to show the same rough edges as the VP lenses. Is the Elstree facemask the original? and if so are the eye lenses in it original and not swapped out for Eller's promotion work? - I don't know, but they look very similar to the VP's.

Also it's always seemed to me that the rough edge around the VP lenses was damage reproduced from the mask it came from rather than a glue bead line. It looks like the original's lenses may have been coming loose and were reset but pushed in a bit too much.

Jeremy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:07 pm 

The Elstree mask photo is the original screen mask.

I'll have to compare that bead pattern on the left lens to the VP photos I have....but the lenses seem to sit further back on the VP.

Well I compared the lenses when Vader was on the Tantive IV to the ebay toy promo photo to the Kermit Eller photos to the Corbis photos and then finally to this Elstree photo and they are the same lenses. It's based on the main scratch on the right lens and the wrinkles in the coating on the inside of the left lens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:49 pm 
Site Admin

Since that Elstree photo suffers a great deal from distortion from being photographed so close, it's pretty difficult to really determine how far back the lenses really sit. However, the lenses seen on that mask shares scratches and glue residue marks with the cast lenses of the VP - I only circled a few, but there are many more. The angles are not a perfect match, but good enough.

(Hope it's okay to use the VP picture... I think it was AnsonJames posting them in that VP thread... if I'm wrong... please shoot me)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:04 pm 

Great comparison....that could mean then that the lenses were taken out and repositioned but I'll have to check my VP reference for that bead pattern...yes I know it's hard to tell if the lenses sit further back in that Elstree photo...it's possible...cool...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:55 pm 

Superb comparison!

Judging by the photos I'd say the VP lenses are at the same depth as the Elstree - definitely the original lenses too!

Quite chuffed about that!

I think I'm gonna vac a set of lenses from the VP...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:52 pm 
Random avatar

I received my sample pack today from ePlastics and if you are going for the Dark Red lense, at first glance this does look to be promising.

I'll try to get my lenses mounted this weekend and post some pics for review. If this works out, it would be a very inexpensive alternative for anyone else who needed it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:42 pm 

Cool. Keep us updated on how they turn out. I'll be looking forward to the pics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:15 pm 
Random avatar
gonk27 wrote:

This is a good closeup shot that bring me to a question that I wanted to ask for some time though I know that it's slightly OT.

Do the eyebrows look more chiseled back similar to the TM helmet? Could it be that this was done to the screen helmet and then molds were taken? These molds in turn produced the TM and ESB helmets?

:cheers
JB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:27 pm 

Solo wrote:
I received my sample pack today from ePlastics and if you are going for the Dark Red lense, at first glance this does look to be promising.

I'll try to get my lenses mounted this weekend and post some pics for review. If this works out, it would be a very inexpensive alternative for anyone else who needed it.

Some acrylics bubble when they're heated because of the water content so watch you don't heat them too much.
I'm going to use PETG for mine - I'll see if I can get permission from Dan to do a run of VP lense copies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:41 pm 
Random avatar

Quote:
acrylics bubble when they're heated because of the water content so watch you don't heat them too much.

Thanks for the heads up. I've read that you should heat them in an oven at 200 for about 5 minutes. I'll see how that works out...

Quote:
I'll see if I can get permission from Dan to do a run of VP lense copies.

I'd be interested in a set assuming this acryllic experiment doesn't work out.

Last edited by Solo on Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:44 pm 
Site Admin

AnsonJames wrote:
I'm going to use PETG for mine - I'll see if I can get permission from Dan to do a run of VP lense copies.

If you get permission, I'd definitely be interested.