It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:58 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:46 am 

KevVader wrote:
I'm curious and have a question for the TM owners....and I'm not trying to be a smartass or trying to stir the pot....I really want to know what is the real reason for all of the anger because some are acting as if Dan clubbed a baby seal or set fire to an orphanage or something.

Is it the feeling of betrayal that he renegged on a gentleman's agreement? Or is it the air of exclusivity that may now be lost because someone else out of the circle will now have the helmet? The fear that it may be copied and further water down the exclusivity? A little bit of of all three?

Because frankly, if I were an owner....I may be a bit miffed at Dan selling his helmet but that would not take my joy away from the ownership of it.

I dunno....I guess I don't get all of the drama...

The problem is the Person he is selling it too and the way he does it ...
He broke a promise, an agreement and betrayed the trust that went with it

The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon;
the vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:28 pm 

SithLord wrote:
One problem is that if it actually sells then that's going to encourage others to sell theirs....the temptation will be there....

I really dont think this would be the case. It seems pretty clear that there is only one person, JB, interested in purchasing the helmet for such an outrageous price. And we all know his motives are questionable at best.

The helmets just arent worth $3k + IMHO. Heck I think TM only paid a little bit over that for his original IIRC. All that money for a generation smaller casting. No thanks.

I just find it hard to believe that if 2, 3, 4 more of these pop up for grabs that they would go for anywhere near the $3k pricetag of Dan's lid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:22 pm 

Just curious. Did TM have permission to recast the original helmet from the person he bought it from?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:27 pm 
Site Admin

clutch wrote:
Just curious. Did TM have permission to recast the original helmet from the person he bought it from?

A fair question I suppose Clutch but in light of the circumstances that type of comment is what can cause heated threads. There was no stipulation or restrictions from the owner TM bought it from.

Reviews statuemodellarge-figure-review-section-vf203.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:18 pm 

Honestly I think the original owner really knew squat about the prop community, and what people do with their acquisitions.... otherwise this helmet would have ended up at Chrisities or at Profiles instead of ebay with a poor description and poor pictures (yes I was following it ,but didn't bid on it as I thought it wasn't legit...arggg what an idiot).

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:52 pm 

As I understand it, when the VP helmets were being offered, they were around 300. I don't remember if that was USD or GBP. But they were way affordable. I guess we should add "delusions of grandeur" with "narcissism".

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:05 am 

Not trying to cause trouble. It's just that the recent events really make you start thinking about things. Could we even say that the original owner was taken advantage of? It's making me think back to Sue the dinosaur. The guy that found it, knew it'd be worth billions, but he didn't mention that fact to the land owner. He assumed that their original deal would stand up. Turns out the land owner, even though he agreed that the digger had the rights to what he found, ended up getting the bones and later the money that the Field Museum paid for them. I know, I'm drifting off here, but I can kind of see similarities here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:05 am 

I did bid on it (second last bid)...but I am glad I lost it to TM....he's a great and generous guy.

I didn't mean to suggest the other owners will sell theirs or that they may have that level of integrity...just that the temptation is there IF they come on dire straits financially. It sets a precedent.

It's the original owner's problem if he wasn't informed about what he had. He sold it without conditions so that's the end of the story. TM made a few copies for respected members here, which was very generous. Also, it's an original casting so the recasting argument doesn't hold. You sell an original and you sell the "rights" that go with it unless otherwise stated. By rights I mean collector rights, not the original LFL rights obviously...the interest is not to make commercial copies but just copies for friends...