It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:57 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:42 pm 

I personally think it could be a production-made faceplate, but not screen-used. I have seen pics of this faceplate with a dome on. I doubt that it is still in the possession of the Harrison's. According to what Paul H. told me when I found those pics, it was once part of Nick's collection and "might be stored somewhere, but it's also possible that it has been sold long time ago"...

The grey eyelenses make me think though...wasn't there a comment in Prowse's recent book about the use of "light grey eyelenses", but his eyes were seen through so the lenses were changed to a darker amber tone.

What if...this is one of the three original faceplates made for use on-screen, but only the "Tantive" was outfitted with the darker lenses, because that was the hero helmet?

Tom

P.S.: Paul told me recently that it is safely locked away, and he won't bug his father too much about it :wink:

NoHumorMan wrote:
Having increased brightness on this face it is showing some details that are seen on the ANH, such as the smudge detail on the left cheek...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 1:44 am 

Well I've seen photos of the helmet Paul Harrison claims is original and that his father owns and it's nothing like the one in the photo...so I don't take much stock in what he says.

I don't think it's production...the neck seems narrow like the ESB movie poster helmet...it's probably post ANH and pre-ESB. Come to think of it, there's a dead giveaway that it's not one of the original three....but I'm sorry I cannot say why because it relates to information a friend gave me in confidence about how the originals were put together...so my hands are tied as is often the case. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:26 am 
Site Admin

SithLord wrote:
Well I've seen photos of the helmet Paul Harrison claims is original and that his father owns and it's nothing like the one in the photo...so I don't take much stock in what he says.

I don't think it's production...the neck seems narrow like the ESB movie poster helmet...it's probably post ANH and pre-ESB.

Could it be a version similar to the TM helmet... only with the dome tabs not molded... or in fact painted silver, then, if not ANH?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:10 pm 

The TM helmet has the correct proportions...I realize that the Elstree faceplate photo is from a lower angle but even so it should make the neck look a bit wider....it could be taken a bit closer in and that would make the neck look narrower...still....seems a bit off. It does look like it is original lineage but I am confident that it's not from ANH production. I think the TM is from a mold taken from an original ANH. The faceplate in the Elstree photo I think might be a casting taken from an original or from a tour faceplate or it is itself very likely a European tour faceplate. That's my gut feeling and I could be wrong of course :). What is curious is that it's not two-toned paint...like the originals. Remember... original in the UK means "first". The faceplate(s) were initially all black and then gun-metal added during principle photography.

Ya the tabs do look real...and it's a good point you make that they are not molded...and the TM ones are. However, look at the top of that mask...it's perfectly clean....it could have been cleaned off and real tabs added. But the tabs themselves indicate that this mask is pre-ESB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:38 pm 
Site Admin

Actually, when brightening the picture you can see that it IS two-tone. It's just the flash washing it out.

Changed the levels in the picture as shown in CSMaclaren's thread: How to enhance dark Vader pictures using Photoshop

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:52 pm 

by gawd you're right! holy

now to examine the paint haha :)

still that doesn't change my opinion about it....the paint itself even looks like it's cleaner than the original paint...the cheek surfaces are flawless....another indication it's probably a casting post-ANH...yes it could have been cleaned and then painted...anything is possible...it just seems more like a 20th C type of casting than ANH....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:55 pm 
Site Admin

SithLord wrote:
by gawd you're right! holy

now to examine the paint haha :)

still that doesn't change my opinion about it....the paint itself even looks like it's cleaner than the original paint...the cheek surfaces are flawless....another indication it's probably a casting post-ANH...yes it could have been cleaned and then painted...anything is possible...it just seems more like a 20th C type of casting than ANH....

Again... flash can explain much of that... but you mentioned the ESB movie poster helmet... could this be it? Seems to have the same rubber marks near the bottom of the neck, where the cape chain rubbed against it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm 

Here's my photoshop enhancement of the image.

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 2:45 am 

It's not the movie poster helmet...different paint and also the chin vent on this one was cut a little bit too large.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:21 am 

What does everyone think about the mesh screen on this mask?

Dave C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 10:13 am 
Site Admin

From what I can see it looks pretty good, not perfect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 11:10 am 
Site Admin

SithLord wrote:
(...) and also the chin vent on this one was cut a little bit too large.....

Not from what I can determine from the TM, DJ or VP un-cut triangle. Seems to be the same size to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 11:45 am 

Someone did a better job at this comp than I did, but I can't locate it. Anyway, it looks pretty darn close.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 11:53 am 
Site Admin

Very nice comp... :thumbsup even the grills match up from what I can see. :eek

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 12:12 pm 

Nice! Would be interesting to see the dome from that pic Photoshopped in....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next