It is currently Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:31 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 290 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: The GS ROTJ Vader helmet owned by original crew member
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:36 am 

The TM domes issues depend on the run and who made them. I've got 5 TM domes and only one of them shows warpage. The other 4 have excellent shape. The ones that came from Mike's run have a pretty much identical overall shape to the GS with the exception of the widows peak area.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:37 am 
Random avatar

Can we delve into the statement made in this thread earlier that the ROTJ dome was made from an altered anh dome? (Perhaps it's another break-out thread for discussion?)
In this thread it has been stated as if it's a known fact.
In line with what Juan mentioned above, I thought the ESB & ROTJ are identical to one other than the widows peak. In the starwars costume book there is a photo of the 2 side by side & it's hard to tell the difference. I got it wrong initially before reading the description. This supports the theory.
Hence I think it's incorrect to say the gs helmet has been worked from an Anh & there could be evidence of Anh markings under the paint & in the cast...
Anyway , Another great discussion point, also nothing to get stressed or heated up over as has happened in the past.... (life has bigger stresses than defining the subtle details of Vader castings)
Looking for the experts view & hoping we don't say something too much that it becomes assumed fact

Last edited by Mickxc on Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:30 am 

I think the whole thing would take a HUGE step forward when one of the two primary theories become proven fact:

Theory 1: there is ONE mold made back in the day (technically two - UK and US mold) from THE ANH helmet. No new molds for ESB and ROTJ - they came just as ANH out of the mold and were then modified to the desired look.

Theory 2: multiple molds were made - definately for ESB (ROTJ unsure).

I have no clue whatsoever since I don't have the sources other members here have.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:45 pm 

propsmith wrote:
I think the whole thing would take a HUGE step forward when one of the two primary theories become proven fact:

Theory 1: there is ONE mold made back in the day (technically two - UK and US mold) from THE ANH helmet. No new molds for ESB and ROTJ - they came just as ANH out of the mold and were then modified to the desired look.

Theory 2: multiple molds were made - definately for ESB (ROTJ unsure).

I have no clue whatsoever since I don't have the sources other members here have.

I think none of the members here have ever seen a UK mold in person, me included. I tend to believe in theory 2. One master UK mold was produced from the screen used ANH faceplate. Castings were taken from that mold for production, tests, and as souvenirs. At least one of these castings has been altered (for ESB production?) - the casting was molded and this second gen. mold produced the TM (deeper eye sockets, deeper teeth on "original" TM casting). Perhaps another casting from the UK master mold has been cleaned further (removal of cast tabs etc.) and was molded again to produce another second gen mold for ROTJ production. Perhaps the master UK mold got detroyed at one point during production, and a new mold had to be produced from a first gen casting. I worked in the movie business for more than 25 years, and have witnessed similar things happening on other films.

Based on the sheer size of the faceplate casting, the TD could be a pull from the master UK mold (although the tusks were cut short on the casting). Dunno about the size of the GS casting (yet), one would assume that it is from the ROTJ era based on the dome. I have recently learned that ROTJ style Vader domes were already existing in around 1978 (more about that perhaps later in another thread), so it might be possible that the GS is a casting of the master UK mold.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:14 pm 
Site Admin

I'm still of the belief that eye socket extension and deeper teeth is simply those areas trimmed roughly, without trimming that excess thickness from the rear. Trimming areas such as lenses and teeth is a two-part job - if you just do one, you'll leave all the thickness excess of the cast material. I got that result when trimming my TM's before I moved in to trim the excess from inside the mask to the grooved edge. It's not added material or a deliberate extension - simply leftover material from a simple trimming effort. At least that's my thoughts on it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:30 pm 

I have read this entire thread because the anticipation of receiving my fully finished CFO(GS) helmet is through the roof.

I will say this one thing. Every time the secrecy bull crap comes up I get very angry. Its pointless to even bring it up as a point of research when photos or details cant be shared. Its like running into a brick wall. I am very happy that Mark chose to remain open with the GS helmet and guys like me can actually obtain one. I am of your kind....wanting the most accurate authentic helmet my money can buy, But because of the secrecy I would never been able to purchase one. Then Mark comes in and changes the game! Kudos to Mark.

The recasting/adding details to other replicas is bull crap in my opinion. That will never stop. Why stop the progression of the community over a couple of theives? So what? I know that my GS helmet is the real deal and theirs is crap. It wont change the fact that our helmets we own come from authentic sources from authentic people. It boils down to the saying "Lucas raped my childhood". The past will never change, its there and will always be there as you and I experienced it. So in essence the authentic casts and helmets will always remain the same and in our hands. The crooks do not exist in my book they will not affect the piece that will be sitting on my shelf.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:09 pm 

Well i think there are no secrets anymore.
Which secrets you want to know or looking for in special?
I think no one is posting pic's anymore as it's still all there.
Everything is written on different boards.

The details on the GS and the TM face are nearly the same as they came both from the same master mould.
Some are softer here or sharper there. That's all.But that also differs from casting to casting.
Watched several TM's, SL's and also GS's, also compared them side by side and each one was a bit different through casting differences.
Even for example 3 TM's side by side from the same run were bit different compared to each other.
And if those are painted it's even more nuts to compare details.
So what in general are you searching for?

The GS is a really nice helmet and both the 1:1 copy and the JEDI casts are nicely done.
The raw cast is nice to watch and compare to the (as it seems) original AnH mask which Mr. Grunberg has in his collection.
If you have to book "Objekt de Myth" you can compare those scratches and dents.
More details you just can compare, if you would watch the real deal with your own eyes.
As nobody ever took more pic's of it instead those which are shown in the book.
I don't think that there is much more to tell about that as it's everything there now.

I also have some decent number of authentic castings, but i see no need to take 100 pic's of each helmet and put those online.
I think 99% of the people also would not really care about those. So why do the work?
For 2 or 3 guys which not want to use the "google search" ?

I think regarding that stuff in gerneral, time has changed. You can buy the most star wars stuff ever in history currently,but most of the guys still have everything the want.
Counts for me,too.I have everything i ever wanted. I not need a second or a third ESB helmet which just look the same as the other stuff i have.
If you take a look on the propboards,it seems the most of the guys are sated as well.

Could also be a reason cause nobody is posting any pic's, ....as it's still there.
Bit different but it's there.

Just my view.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:11 pm 

I am soo excited that i am getting near to owning a copy of this sexy helmet! I paid Mark for a full completed helmet and boy it was not cheap but worth every-single cent I put towards it(even the extra fees Paypal ripped me off for when converting my money to pounds). Now all I have to do is wait for Mark to finish my cast and then the beast is mine! Im soo excited!

I will be showing off this helmet completely in full detail. I have only seen one photo outside of Mark's photos.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:26 am 
Site Admin

Yeah, when paying through Paypal, never let them handle the conversion. Always let your bank do that and simply pay in the currency the recipient asks for.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:07 pm 

Turrican wrote:

The details on the GS and the TM face are nearly the same as they came both from the same master mould.
Some are softer here or sharper there. That's all.But that also differs from casting to casting.
Watched several TM's, SL's and also GS's, also compared them side by side and each one was a bit different through casting differences.
Even for example 3 TM's side by side from the same run were bit different compared to each other.

The GS is a really nice helmet and both the 1:1 copy and the JEDI casts are nicely done.
The raw cast is nice to watch and compare to the (as it seems) original AnH mask which Mr. Grunberg has in his collection.
More details you just can compare, if you would watch the real deal with your own eyes.
I don't think that there is much more to tell about that as it's everything there now.

I also have some decent number of authentic castings, but i see no need to take 100 pic's of each helmet and put those online.
I think 99% of the people also would not really care about those. So why do the work?

I think regarding that stuff in gerneral, time has changed. You can buy the most star wars stuff ever in history currently,but most of the guys still have everything the want.
Counts for me,too.I have everything i ever wanted. I not need a second or a third ESB helmet which just look the same as the other stuff i have.
If you take a look on the propboards,it seems the most of the guys are sated as well.

Could also be a reason cause nobody is posting any pic's, ....as it's still there.

Just my view.

Considering I've already taken a good number of photos of my TM when it was a RAW cast, I believe there are a good number of Vader fans that would LOVE to see the detail that was preserved in those photos. It's pretty damn cool... especially with good dramatic lighting. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:28 pm 

No Humor Man wrote:
Yeah, when paying through Paypal, never let them handle the conversion. Always let your bank do that and simply pay in the currency the recipient asks for.

This was the first for me for paying in pounds. I had no idea that Paypal wanted so much in fees for converting. I gave them a total of $115 in fees alone. I will never have them do it again. what a ripp off. If I had known ahead of time I would have done it differently.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:31 pm 

craigjohn wrote:
Turrican wrote:

Just my view.

Considering I've already taken a good number of photos of my TM when it was a RAW cast, I believe there are a good number of Vader fans that would LOVE to see the detail that was preserved in those photos. It's pretty damn cool... especially with good dramatic lighting. :wink:

The thing is, if these photos do exist why cant anybody just post them up when needed for conversation? That I do not get. Its not exactly easy to find the ones needed for the current conversation. I would have to sort through all the old threads just to find a photo. So like I said when these discussions come up those supposedly existing photos should be posted up instead of saying "I will not take any new photos of my helmet" or something like that.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:15 pm 

You have all permission to post up any photo of the CfO GS helmets.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:08 pm 

vader45 wrote:
I am soo excited that i am getting near to owning a copy of this sexy helmet! I paid Mark for a full completed helmet and boy it was not cheap but worth every-single cent I put towards it(even the extra fees Paypal ripped me off for when converting my money to pounds). Now all I have to do is wait for Mark to finish my cast and then the beast is mine! Im soo excited!

I will be showing off this helmet completely in full detail. I have only seen one photo outside of Mark's photos.

I'm sure you will be very happy with this one.
It's indeed a beauty.
:cheers

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:04 pm 
Random avatar

An update on the gs vader. Due to a breakdown in trust going back to November last year, the casting of the "as is" vader by cfo has come to an end. As far as I am aware there were 22 casts sold and 1 dome.
I have the original silicone moulds at home but not the fibreglass jackets.
I have asked Mark not to reproduce,recast or rework anything associated with the gs vader in the future. ie: no ANH or ESB helmets.
The reworked Jedi helmets are unaffected.
I know there is no law to stop anyone recasting but I hope Mark respects my wishes.

“Beware the person that stabs you and then tells the world they’re bleeding!”

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 290 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next