It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:35 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: 1:6 Scale Ninja Turtles
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:40 pm 
Site Admin

First view of the Turtles sculpts. This one is Mikey. The others are in various kinds of progress, similar to this or less, but slowly moving forward. Will post the others and more progress shots as I work on them. Deliberately made the picture a little fuzzy, as the sculpt itself is pretty messy work at this point.

Post subject: Re: 1:6 Scale Ninja Turtles
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:58 pm 
Site Admin

Just for fun. Here's the line-up from some months ago. I added the second arm to Donatello and Leonardo, repositioned Leo's legs, so he's facing front instead of slightly towards the side, and he'll be holding his katanas in a relaxed, but ready position. I also turned the heads facing forward (but need to turn both slightly), then, by using a mold made from Mikey's head I cast the other three heads and separate lower jaws and will sculpt the character specific heads on top of that later.

There's not much difference between the two... but that's the progress I've made so far. Things really sped up when I got the basic skull shape cast on the other three and cast the other three shells. It's moving forward. Oh yeah, I also trimmed down Don's torso as it was way too long. It's much more proportioned to the others now. Just need to turn his head slightly to the left, and Leo's slightly to the right.

The progress may be slow, but hopefully the end result will be pleasing. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:11 pm 
Site Admin

Doing a lot of work to separate the lower arms and making them easy to slot right into the upper arm. I made the cut above the elbow pad, so that it will be easier to insert them into the arms. Doing it this way now will also make it possible to eventually mold them if necessary and if they turn out great. Basically a lot of preparing work for the actual sculpting of the pieces. The texture is going to be the most difficult, but I'll figure out a way to either do it while sculpting or doing it afterwards. Everything is made much more difficult by the fact that I have to sculpt them with apoxie sculpt rather than super sculpey as I cannot bake them anymore, due to the way I constructed the base bodies - I'd just risk them cracking. So thankfully I can work in sections... though the issue will be to repeat shapes and volume thickness and get things looking even and nice and not disproportionate.

Need to find octangular rods in 5mm and 4mm for the *bo* staff for Donatello and the *nunchakus* for Raphael. Will probably try and make Leonardo's *katana* blades out of metal, as well as Raphael's *sais*.

They look "slim" and "tall" at the moment, basically the equivalent as the actors' bodies without the rubber suit, but when I start bulking them up, things will look a lot more proportionate... and may even turn out that I didn't make the shell that much too large after all.

The one I'm most looking forward to finishing is Raphael, as I've wanted a figure in that pose ever since I saw it on the CD art all the way back when the movie came out... and since no one else has made it yet... I figured I'd just have to do it myself. And I can even use the sculpt to eventually do the coat and hat version.

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:49 pm 
Site Admin

This is as far as I've gotten about a month ago... haven't had the energy to work on them since then... but it is slowly moving forward.