It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:27 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:45 am 
Random avatar

My computer dies and look what I miss. Wow! Coming in late on the thread but Congrats on the helmet SL! Looks fantastic!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:27 pm 

SithLord wrote:
Ok let's try this dance again....this earlier photo was taken from about the same distance...about 5 feet away. My comments from before still stand...except I'll retract the comment about flaring width...seems to be fine...but there is something funky about the center ridge on the TM? I don't know if that's a perspective issue because the horizontal rotation of the helmet seems similar...strange...

There's no denying the TM ANH is a superb helmet...well the research continues... :ac6

This is a good start but it would still be amazing to get all the helmets in a single room so that they can be compared. Hopefully some event will happen were this can be arranged in the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:06 pm 

I've always like the DJ dome and how it complimented its mask. It's nice seeing those subtle nuances here.

Thomas, do you feel there's any connection between this mask and the others in your collection or even, say, the VP?

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:18 am 

Good question...well the SL mask is only related to the DJ because they came from the same mold. The VP is related to the TM and TD masks. I'm trying to find out how they are related actually...and the SL mask is giving me clues because there are details that link the TM/TD/VP (apart from the obvious like the chin vent and tubes and tabs) that I can exclude as being from the screen mask since the SL is basically the screen mask but at a later stage of wear...or at least that's the supposition if one believes the TM/TD/VP came from a UK mold and the SL/DJ came from a US mold. It seems clear to me at least that the VP/TD/TM are from separate molds but share a similar ultimate source...question is when were those molds made?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:41 am 

...and who made them and why?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:09 am 

SithLord wrote:
Good question...well the SL mask is only related to the DJ because they came from the same mold. The VP is related to the TM and TD masks. I'm trying to find out how they are related actually...and the SL mask is giving me clues because there are details that link the TM/TD/VP (apart from the obvious like the chin vent and tubes and tabs) that I can exclude as being from the screen mask since the SL is basically the screen mask but at a later stage of wear...or at least that's the supposition if one believes the TM/TD/VP came from a UK mold and the SL/DJ came from a US mold. It seems clear to me at least that the VP/TD/TM are from separate molds but share a similar ultimate source...question is when were those molds made?

I would love love to know how the hell you come to such conclusions Thomas?

Btw my comment isn't supposed to be insulting, but you're making some very bold statements with little or no evidence bro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:51 pm 
Random avatar
Fatherless One wrote:

Btw my comment isn't supposed to be insulting, but you're making some very bold statements with little or no evidence bro.

Yes I agree.. I guess the reason I jumped all over Thomas about this one
is because unlike the TM, as soon as Thomas got the helmet he started
making these statements without studying the helmet first. I don't know
about anyone else, but this throws up a huge Red Flag.. I would take a lot
of time studying something that I bought off E-bay before making such bold
statements..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:35 pm 

Fatherless One wrote:
SithLord wrote:

Well maybe you should be a little bit more specific about what is so bold or surprising that you don't believe? And we'll take it from there. With a word like "hell" I find your question confrontational, and not just a simple question. And it's sort of a surprise to me this coming from you? Haven't you looked at photos of the VP/TM/TD? It doesn't take a lot of research to see they are related...and the same holds true for the SL/DJ.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:40 pm 

artisanprops wrote:
Fatherless One wrote:

Yes I agree.. I guess the reason I jumped all over Thomas about this one
is because unlike the TM, as soon as Thomas got the helmet he started
making these statements without studying the helmet first. I don't know
about anyone else, but this throws up a huge Red Flag.. I would take a lot
of time studying something that I bought off E-bay before making such bold
statements..

*sigh* here we go again.

How many times do I have to explain this to you? Go back and read what I wrote, Mr. Huge Red Flag. Do you think I'd spend that kind of money without knowing something about the casting?

And what does TM have to do with it? He got his helmet off of Ebay and knew, or at least had a pretty good idea, just like I did (because I was the second last bidder), what it was while you guys stood around scratching your heads about it.

If you have a problem, then just let me know specifically what it is you have a problem with instead of just throwing everything I say into question as if you are accusing me of something?

What is bold about what I wrote?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:41 pm 

SithLord wrote:

Okay:

How do you know your new helmet came from the same mold as DJ's?, to have bid so high with such poor ebay photo's you'd have to have had some inside info about the source (surely not) or just had a very very confident feeling.

And how do you know is was made before (or after) DJ's?

How could you possibly think "the SL is basically the screen mask"? Now that IS a bold statement.

It's isn't wise to make statements and claims as if they're fact when nothing has been proven yet, and in some cases can't actually ever be proven as fact. You just need to be careful when making claims like you do, assumptions aren't fact.

Oh and do you actually have the SL in you possession now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:41 pm 

just to catch up here, where is the tm helmet from? it was mentioned as an ebay purchase,... could someone fill me in on that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:54 pm 

You'd need to ask the owner Vadermania.

Here's his thread:

http://thepropden.aokforums.com/the-tm- ... t1654.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:57 pm 
Random avatar
SithLord wrote:

*sigh* here we go again.

How many times do I have to explain this to you? Go back and read what I wrote, Mr. Huge Red Flag. Do you think I'd spend that kind of money without knowing something about the casting?

And what does TM have to do with it? He got his helmet off of Ebay and knew, or at least had a pretty good idea, just like I did (because I was the second last bidder), what it was while you guys stood around scratching your heads about it.

Thomas why don't you Relax.. I wasn't trying to start an argument I was
merely explaining why I began questioning the SL in the beginning..
when you call people names like what you just called Me "MR. Huge
Red Flag" it just shows what kind of person you really are

Ya know I wouldn't have questioned the SL had you not been so
condescending to all the people who question you.. Your not above anyone here,
nor do you have the right to act like you are.. As I mentioned
The TM helmet was studied very well before claims were made.. What did
you have a week before the auction ended to study the horrid pictures they
had? can't tell how you came to a conclusion from that..let's not forget you
starting making the claims only a few days after it arrived so you couldn't have studied it too much..
I know! I know! :rolleyes you claim to have a source that verified that he was there when
the helmet was pulled? :rolleyes Whatever!!

When the TM was on Auction I wasn't sitting there scratching My head, I
was out having a life, and knew nothing about the Auction
until it was already to late.. If you knew what a great helmet the TM was gonna be
why didn't you spend as much on it as you did on the SL.. Sounds like
there's a little more to the SL story then your revealing..

I know Your Friends with DJ and what bothers Me is, instead of spending
$6,300 on a Helmet that's just a brother to the DJ, why didn't you just give him
some money and have him make you a cast of His.. You might of spent
$3500 Less :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:18 pm 

Fatherless One wrote:
Okay:

How do you know your new helmet came from the same mold as DJ's?, to have bid so high with such poor ebay photo's you'd have to have had some inside info about the source (surely not) or just had a very very confident feeling.

Well it's not inside information. It's called "reference material". Also I communicated with DJ and he told me it had tells on it that were on his when he got it. I've explained this before in this thread but obviously I need to repeat myself. I really find it interesting that people find it so hard to believe that someone can estimate what is authentic or not. How much did your knowledge increase when you got the TM helmet? Think about it.

And why should I reveal how I find out what is authentic to people? You want to know the names of my friends? The people I talk to? That's my business, not yours. But I told you guys about my communications with DJ.
And really, what difference does it make now? Why are you coming back to that?

Fatherless One wrote:
And how do you know is was made before (or after) DJ's?

Because I have the name of the gentleman who pulled it, who he gave it to, and I know from another independent source from when they worked for ILM and the year is consistent with that. Again, I am going through this again apparently for your edification. Honestly Alan, please go back and read my earlier posts.

Fatherless One wrote:
How could you possibly think "the SL is basically the screen mask"? Now that IS a bold statement.

And? That means it's first generation from the screen mask and it's detail reflects that. It is a pull from the screen mask. Read it in the context of the rest of the sentence please.

Fatherless One wrote:
It's isn't wise to make statements and claims as if they're fact when nothing has been proven yet, and in some cases can't actually ever be proven as fact. You just need to be careful when making claims like you do, assumptions aren't fact.

Then tell me what statement I made in that paragraph as fact. And you sound like you are threatening me.

My quote....please read it:

"I'm trying to find out how they are related actually..."

"...and the SL mask is giving me clues"

"or at least that's the supposition "

"It seems clear to me at least "

Fatherless One wrote:
Oh and do you actually have the SL in you possession now?

Gee I wonder what makes you ask that question?

:rolleyes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:30 pm 
Site Admin

Let everyone just calm down, this thread has been peaceful enough to benefit others.

A warning to everyone do not ignore staff requests.

Thank you

Reviews statuemodellarge-figure-review-section-vf203.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next