It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:17 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 19  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: The GS ROTJ Vader helmet owned by original crew member
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:00 am 

Not easy as you've said.

I compared them very quickly since I had a lot of other things to do yesterday and the Pictures I've made were done with my mobile phone - so crap.

At work now, I can't even edit or arrange them since online pic Editors won't work.

To any TM (ESB) owners:

Watch for the crack which was shown on previous pics in this thread. This crack CAN be seen even on the TM ESB cast! It's very subtle but it is there (much more prominent on the GS cast).

Also, just compare the underside on the lower left tusk tube on the GS to the TM ESB.

The crack, the 3m tabs and the underside on the left tusk tube were the three main things that match up I've seen in a hurry.

I had no time to look for all the details and the pictures I've taken are crap :banger

Anyway here's a quick mock up of the TM EBS facemask and the GS dome:

Picture was taken with Iphone SE, 6 feet away fully zoomed in...as I've said pls forgive for the bad quality.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:21 am 
Site Admin

What I'm mostly interested in is whether that crack on the side of the face mask is on the SL and other Rick Baker mold casts. That would be fairly interesting to know, as it can help establish if it was a crack that happened during production and then glued, and then cracked open again later as it is now, or it came during the tours. Same with that paint reaction on the left side of the mouth. If the SL doesn't have it, then it could mean it might have been something caused when it was repainted.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:41 pm 

*Picture removed*

The heads on the slotted screws match up perfectly on ALL the 6 screws. I don't see why this should not be an evidence, since why would someone loosen or tighten these screws prior to molding the helmet (whichever helmet was molded here in the end...this is the question).

As regarding the fact that the TM ESB is much more cleaned up (and therefore not the best helmet for comparison):

Yes it is but I once had a DS 20th century cast and a cyberman / elstree ROTJ (the one with the felt inside the dome). Even painted and cleaned up it was safe to say that this fatherless / elstree ROTJ helmet I had was just a reworked 20th century.

Can't remember if I made up a thread here back in the day or on the RPF regarding the cyberman / elstree helmet.

Last edited by propsmith on Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:37 pm 

Darth Niob wrote:
propsmith wrote:
Compared both my TM (ESB) raw cast and GS facemask today quickly here and there and in my opinion they come from the very same mold / very same origin (helmet).

The TM cast is - compared to the GS - much cleaner but some of the details / traits are there.

The apple tabs do match 100% on both facemasks this is the most clearly visible similarity they both share so for me both facemasks are brothers, either from the same mold or different molds of one and the same helmet they orginate from.

The domes however seem to differ drastically. Much much flare, dings and dents on the TM dome.

The GS dome has THE shape, for me it's the most beautiful dome I've ever had in my hands...

I can upload some detail comparison pics if anybody wants them.

Very hard to compare a TM ESB mask and the ANH mask of the GS. The ESB is reworked...to compare the mask with a GS you have to compare it with an original TM cast (ANH). The domes are totally differ for sure. The TM is pure ESB and still the best dome for that. The GS is an ANH dome reworked for ROTJ..so again hard to compare.

This is what I was hoping, as it has me entirely giddy that Mark can reverse engineer this GS ROTJ dome back to a very very good ANH dome. Not looking for total perfection, but much closer than any other dome in terms of detail and basic shape aside from the SL.

Edit. Love the comparisons. :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:53 pm 

20th century tabshot (by Darth Stone) vs. GS tabshot - just for the fun of it.

*Picture removed*

Last edited by propsmith on Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:56 pm 

It would be interesting to see shots of ANY facemask out there which has these tabs on top and to compare them side by side!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:41 pm 

I don't know if I'm speaking out of turn but there is feint evidence of the crack on the side of the SL helmet. It's very feint and doesn't follow the entire length of the crack as it appears on the GS helmet it only appears around the ends of the tusk tubes. So we make of that what we can -- the crack was in process but hadn't completely cracked, or it was cracked and filled in, I don't know.

Remember that Kermit Eller wore it for nearly two years so it seems most likely that it was a stress crack that had started and opened up over time.

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:46 pm 

propsmith wrote:

Beautiful :thumbsup

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:34 am 

I recently received my GS and it is indeed an amazing and very interesting piece. However as some of you may know I have a few TMs ANH facemasks, and 3 of them are still raw. You definitely can not compare the GS to a TM ESB or ROTJ as they were heavily modified and cleaned by JRX. Because of the Owners agreement I'm not gonna post any detailed photos here or anywhere on the web, but I can tell you that all the details are a lot sharper on all 3 raw ANH casts. I would say they share 90% to 95% of the details ( although much sharper on the TM) and there are others that are unique the respective casts. I've noticed a few other differences between them but I'm not sure how much I want to get in to it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:37 am 

The labeling on this shot is backwards

propsmith wrote:

The heads on the slotted screws match up perfectly on ALL the 6 screws. I don't see why this should not be an evidence, since why would someone loosen or tighten these screws prior to molding the helmet (whichever helmet was molded here in the end...this is the question).

As regarding the fact that the TM ESB is much more cleaned up (and therefore not the best helmet for comparison):

Yes it is but I once had a DS 20th century cast and a cyberman / elstree ROTJ (the one with the felt inside the dome). Even painted and cleaned up it was safe to say that this fatherless / elstree ROTJ helmet I had was just a reworked 20th century.

Can't remember if I made up a thread here back in the day or on the RPF regarding the cyberman / elstree helmet.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:29 am 

Fernandez is right! My mistake! :banger labeling is backwards!

I can't remember a point in the owners agreement regarding the upload of pictures - if my posting is a violation in these respects then I will take them down.

I can't see why you cannot compare the two helmets. In my point of view they do share - the TM ESB and the GS - some key details even with the TM ESB reworked.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:06 am 

propsmith wrote:
I can't see why you cannot compare the two helmets. In my point of view they do share - the TM ESB and the GS - some key details even with the TM ESB reworked.

juan7fernandez wrote:
I recently received my GS and it is indeed an amazing and very interesting piece. However as some of you may know I have a few TMs ANH facemasks, and 3 of them are still raw. You definitely can not compare the GS to a TM ESB or ROTJ as they were heavily modified and cleaned by JRX.

That make sence.
As the TM ESB mask should show the details from the ESB mask and not from the AnH.
Jesper removed the scratched,defects and dents which have not be there for an accurate ESB helmet.
The AnH details which got compared here, also were cleaned up on the original ESB helmet as well.
So everthing is there as it should.

juan7fernandez wrote:
Because of the Owners agreement I'm not gonna post any detailed photos here or anywhere on the web, but I can tell you that all the details are a lot sharper on all 3 raw ANH casts. I would say they share 90% to 95% of the details ( although much sharper on the TM) and there are others that are unique the respective casts. I've noticed a few other differences between them but I'm not sure how much I want to get in to it.

100 % agree :thumbsup

propsmith wrote:
I can't remember a point in the owners agreement regarding the upload of pictures - if my posting is a violation in these respects then I will take them down.

Just for remembering.... :rolleyes

-Please do not publically show close-up pics of surface details of the raw casting.
Interested parties who photograph the helmet in person should not show, share, or distribute close-up details of the helmet.
You are free to wear the finished/painted helmet in public or show pics of it if you like to.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:41 am 

I really want one of these.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:54 am 

In the interest of study I don't understand why these agreements are in place? Who started these privacy agreements anyway? I can go to an exhibition and photograph as I have before every little detail of an original helmet but for some unknown reason to me anyway we cannot share pics of "Authentic " casts???? Why on earth not? How are we supposed to educate and learn from things we cannot share? There are Lots high res shots of original helmets in books. But we cannot share pics of casting sold by people who have just moulded and cast helmets they bought? We have no openness on work that was carried out on all these so called authentic casts and to my knowledge the only unaltered cast that has been offered is the CFO GS helmet. Which incidentally has no such clauses. We have no photos of the processes people went to to bring us these casts we have absolutely no knowledge the casts being compared are not altered in anyway. I'm sorry but your word means nothing. If people have nothing to hide why not show and share pics of you stripping paint, filler etc etc.
This forum used to be a wealth of knowledge but nearly every thread has no photos left in it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:03 am 

Quote:

-Please do not publically show close-up pics of surface details of the raw casting.
Interested parties who photograph the helmet in person should not show, share, or distribute close-up details of the helmet.
You are free to wear the finished/painted helmet in public or show pics of it if you like to.

Why?
To my knowledge "Authentic" helmets have been stripped using acetone which incidentally also breaks down gel coats and fibreglass resins and been "picked" at with instruments to remove filler etc. These surfaces are not representative of an untouched surface and by no means "original" anymore.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 19  Next