It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:45 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 19  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: The GS ROTJ Vader helmet owned by original crew member
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:29 pm 

Different casts, different sources, different details. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:46 pm 

Turrican wrote:

From the same initial mould.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:54 pm 

sskunky wrote:
Turrican wrote:

From the same initial mould.

With different sources i not mean that the facemasks are from different moulds.
Seems legit that the TM mask and the GS mask may come from the same mould.
But both casts were damaged, grinded on diffenernt places, were rushed painted and also had some bondo at different areas.
So i would say it's possible that some details missing at one cast but are present at the other and vice versa.
You know?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:20 pm 
Random avatar

The TM wasnt painted in a hurry. I think it once become a really good finish like the screen used helmets, agree regarding the GS. Better to have both of them :lol

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:38 pm 

skoota73 wrote:
I just got my helmet yesterday. I'm beyond excited for this piece. It's very well done. All the fine details are captured. In fact, I'm studying every tiny detail on this thing. One that has me giddy is seeing some type of mottling/crackling in the paint that appears to be identical to the one found on the supposed screen-used Vader helmet in the Arnaud Grunberg Archives. I hope Mark doesn't mind me posting these detailed shots...

Image Image Image

Very cool. I looked through the photos of my RAW cast TM, and didn't see anything like mottled detail. :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:41 pm 

I found many tiny details that line up with the Arnaud Grunberg helmet, but there's another one in particular that may shine some light on the timeline of this particular casting. I am not sure if the CFO helmet is patched up or before the crack got bigger. Either way, this is a very exciting helmet to have. All the extremely fine details are captured.

Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:07 pm 

:drool ...just saw this little ditty too...

...so was the Grunberg helmet stripped and repainted after the movie? Can't remember that detail.

And this is another thing that has me wildly excited. If/when Mark can reverse engineer an ANH dome out of the ROTJ without losing all that fabulous detail deliciousness on the dome, he already has a killer faceplate to make one the very best open run ANH Vader helmets ever offered. :ac10

Last edited by craigjohn on Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:20 pm 

craigjohn wrote:
Seriously cool - just saw this little ditty too...

...so was the Grunberg helmet stripped and repainted after the movie? Can't remember that detail.

Neatness. I believe the Grunberg helmet was repainted for the Chronicles photoshoot. I may be wrong, though.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:04 pm 

Really interesting pic's indeed.
Thx for posting :thumbsup

skoota73 wrote:
Neatness. I believe the Grunberg helmet was repainted for the Chronicles photoshoot. I may be wrong, though.

Indeed it got repainted.
The Grunberg helmet IS the screen used AnH helmet, which after filming got repainted for the PR shot's and touring.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:02 pm 

Compared both my TM (ESB) raw cast and GS facemask today quickly here and there and in my opinion they come from the very same mold / very same origin (helmet).

The TM cast is - compared to the GS - much cleaner but some of the details / traits are there.

The apple tabs do match 100% on both facemasks this is the most clearly visible similarity they both share so for me both facemasks are brothers, either from the same mold or different molds of one and the same helmet they orginate from.

The domes however seem to differ drastically. Much much flare, dings and dents on the TM dome.

The GS dome has THE shape, for me it's the most beautiful dome I've ever had in my hands...

I can upload some detail comparison pics if anybody wants them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:16 pm 

I'd love to see some TM GS side by side pics.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:59 pm 

propsmith wrote:
Compared both my TM (ESB) raw cast and GS facemask today quickly here and there and in my opinion they come from the very same mold / very same origin (helmet).

The TM cast is - compared to the GS - much cleaner but some of the details / traits are there.

The apple tabs do match 100% on both facemasks this is the most clearly visible similarity they both share so for me both facemasks are brothers, either from the same mold or different molds of one and the same helmet they orginate from.

The domes however seem to differ drastically. Much much flare, dings and dents on the TM dome.

The GS dome has THE shape, for me it's the most beautiful dome I've ever had in my hands...

Post away pal :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:20 am 
Site Admin

propsmith wrote:

The TM ESB face mask should be cleaned up compared to the standard TM face mask, so unsure whether that's what you have.

But the GS has some awesome details that it appears the TM has had sanded away.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:13 am 

No Humor Man wrote:
propsmith wrote:

The TM ESB face mask should be cleaned up compared to the standard TM face mask, so unsure whether that's what you have.

But the GS has some awesome details that it appears the TM has had sanded away.

Yes the TM is cleaned up as mentioned in my Initial post...here are some pics. Sry for not combining them for better comparison but I'm limited doing this at work (no Picture Editor and the only ones don't work). The 3M tab screws match up perfectly (Position of the screwheads). Also the holes from the previous mounting mechanism are clearly visible on both casts and they do match up as well.

*Pictures removed*

Last edited by propsmith on Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:11 am 
Random avatar

propsmith wrote:

Very hard to compare a TM ESB mask and the ANH mask of the GS. The ESB is reworked...to compare the mask with a GS you have to compare it with an original TM cast (ANH). The domes are totally differ for sure. The TM is pure ESB and still the best dome for that. The GS is an ANH dome reworked for ROTJ..so again hard to compare.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 19  Next