It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:43 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: Vader from Original Film Mould - Return of the Jedi
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:20 pm 

voice in the crowd wrote:
JoeR wrote:
I've just been watching a video of Tony Robbins with a group of people involved in 9/11. Thinking how little Vader or any of this matters...

Once my Stormtrooper replicas are done, I am out of this hobby for good. The fun has certainly been decreasing for me over the last year.

Here's to friendly discussion at the Den. :cheers

Joe

Joe,

That is a shame you have always been a real enthusiast in the hobby. I know you have a child on the way and your priorities will change in life (for the better :) ) but possibly instead of getting out of the hobby just have a wee break and come back to it when you feel your lifestyle allows.

I have had a few times were I thought about getting out but instead I just balanced the hobby and real life a bit better.

It will be a sad loss if you do give up :(

Chris

I agree take a break but keep in touch - you'll need to do something during those sleepless nights with the new addition. :slp

Brian

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:39 pm 

Cheers fellas. I agree a break is a good idea!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:54 pm 

Ya, if anything, having a child is even more reason to stay enthused about Star Wars :lol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:20 pm 

Food for discussion! Thanks Brian! :salut

vaderman wrote:
I think to discuss the origins of this Return of the Jedi we need to start from the beginning........

1. Sculpting the clay mask over the plaster head of Dave Prowse.

2.When the clay mask was finished in a last minute discussion it was decided that a chin vent should be incorporated so that Dave could breathe easier.

3. It was decided that I would just put a line in the clay and the vent would be cut out by the plasters in the fibreglass stage.

This is terrific to know. Thanks for mentioning that. So then you are saying that your ROTJ mask (which is like a TM mask or possibly also like a VP mask), has the same chin vent inscription as you did on the original sculpture? Although the final chin vent outline would then presumably match perfectly the inscribed chin vent line, I would think. What you are seeing might either be that line, or the remnant of the original screen vent that had been cut out, but then as you mentioned, filled in for later molding. I would think it is the latter.

Quote:
4. After the faceplate was moulded and cast in plaster I sharpened the faceplate up with carving tools but just left the line of the chin vent as it was.

Also very interesting...and makes perfect sense.

Quote:
5. There were 2 screen masks with the chin vents cut out and taken to a finish which were kept in a box (locked at all times in the wardrobe dept when not on stage - where they were supervised by 'Mother')

How the chin vents were cut should actually be slightly different, especially on the corners. But among all the authentic castings there only seems to be one kind of vent, identical to the mask that appears onscreen.

Quote:
6. I believe a third mask was cast and used by the special effects dept to work out any issues.

Also interesting...wish we could see either the 2nd or 3rd mask in some form or another...

Quote:
I don't know when a mould was made or even where it was made for ESB but there are 2 options - it either came from the third mask where the chin vent was left in but it would have had the tusks applied and the clips on the top or it was a screen mask and the chin vent was filled in with clay and the line of the chin vent put in before it was moulded. It would also have the tusks and clips.

Yes I think it was the latter, well almost certain of that.

Quote:
I believe that this is the mould used on ESB. I'm told by the sculptors on the ESB production that they did no work on the mask or helmet and therefore the plasterers must have made the alteration to the front of the helmet to create the ESB look.

This is very interesting as well to have confirmed and is consistent with what we see with castings like the Paul Allen and TM ESB...

If only the plasterers continued that tradition of not making any alterations to the Vader mask/helmet for ROTJ/ROTS. :sad5

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:32 pm 

Congrats on your new addition Joe. :cheers Don't stay away too long. :salut

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:42 pm 
Random avatar

Hey guys,

Taz here from the RPF. I have been working on a ROTJ Looking suit for a while now. No doubt there are lotsa inaccurate bits ect but I have had immense fun and frustration putting it together. It's nearly finished as I wait on Maia to finish hemming my cloak and surcoat.
The few times I have asked publically for help it always seems to lock a thread lol

It amazes me how there is so much cloak and dagger and hush hush when it comes to Vader.
It is soooooo refreshing to see Brian and others like him pulling aside the curtain to really see just who the wizard is. lol

Looking forward to getting to know some of you guys and I have found your pics really generous & awesome Brian :) Beautiful buildup....Thank you so much for sharing.

Warm Regards
TAZ

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:52 pm 

Hi Brian,
I've just read through this thread for the first time and that is one sweet helmet! Thanks for sharing. I love the reworking you did it looks fantastic.
As for Gino, the all knowing god of Star wars what a jerk. I got banned from his forum too. Not sure why but I think it's because I didn't agree with him and reiterated The fact that he his a complete twat.
Hope you had a great Christmas. Thanks for the book!
Mark. (Another banned member)!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:17 pm 

You're not the only one who had issues with Gino. Best thing is to ignore him and not to feed the whole thing by complaining or mention his name. There are other "twats" :cool: as u might want to call them in the community...some even work for well known collectible companys :rolleyes but it's all about names. Have a name? You're almost untouchable.

Sry mods, don't want this thread going south or off topic.

Any updates on the lid regarding pictures?

cheers and happy new year folks!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:29 am 

If it's of any comfort, Gino banned Brian Muir too. So just ignore him.

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:21 am 

CSMacLaren wrote:
If it's of any comfort, Gino banned Brian Muir too. So just ignore him.

Ummmmwow. I had to reread that a few times to see if I was reading correctly. Gino...Banned...Brian...Muir. I'm still having trouble wrapping my mind around it.

I haven't been booted myself yet but I hardly ever visit the place (I figure if I really need to visit a site where a guy strokes his own, ahem, "ego" there are loads of alternatives--although not as work-safe I guess).

Sorry, I now return you to your Vader thread already in progress...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:50 am 

Okay, so back to the original subject, the helmet.

Brian, how much would you say your helmet radiates the character of your original clay sculpt? When you came into possession of it, did it feel like a blast from the past?

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:10 pm 

CSMacLaren wrote:
Okay, so back to the original subject, the helmet.

Brian, how much would you say your helmet radiates the character of your original clay sculpt? When you came into possession of it, did it feel like a blast from the past?

Hi Mac, although the helmet was in a poor condition to say the least I could see it was very close to my original sculpt. It was the dome that stood out as the best I have seen since the production (although it does not have the widow's peak).

I enjoyed having the chance to work on it again and have my own helmet after all these years.

Brian

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:14 pm 
Random avatar

How could the man who actually sculpted the Vader helmet get banned from a Fan,I mean Jerk's prop forum? Gino is dumb!
Looks Like I need to permanently remove myself from his forum too.
What an Ego! Way to go Gino! I mean Bone Head. Sorry I got a little off topic.

Now Back to More Vader goodness! :lol

William Shakespeare

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:40 pm 
Site Admin

Guys, enough about gino... :slp

Let's continue discussing Brian's helmet (far more interesting IMO) and pls stay on topic.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:50 am 

IndyTaz wrote:
Hey guys,

Taz here from the RPF. I have been working on a ROTJ Looking suit for a while now. No doubt there are lotsa inaccurate bits ect but I have had immense fun and frustration putting it together. It's nearly finished as I wait on Maia to finish hemming my cloak and surcoat.

It amazes me how there is so much cloak and dagger and hush hush when it comes to Vader.
It is soooooo refreshing to see Brian and others like him pulling aside the curtain to really see just who the wizard is. lol

Looking forward to getting to know some of you guys and I have found your pics really generous & awesome Brian :) Beautiful buildup....Thank you so much for sharing.

Warm Regards
TAZ

Thanks Taz -it'll be good to see your finished suit!!

Brian

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next