It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:39 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: New ANH helmet
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:44 pm 

Darth Niob wrote:
Qui-Gonzalez wrote:
Can someone explain this to me? Why on Earth would you NOT finish the SL when you got it raw? I mean no offense, but come on, none of the casts of the SL are going to diminish in value by being unfinished, are they? I would wager they would be worth far more as finished pieces.

But, that said, they are the buyer's pieces to do with as they please. I just like the look of finished helmets, not raw pulls with moderate cleanup.

Good point. They seem to have so many highend helmets that they havent got the time to finish them all :toothy
To be serious...i really would like to see a painted one myself. :drool

I imagine a lot of SL owners are planning on finishing them eventually. I'm just being very careful and taking my time--I want to get it right and right the first time. I've got some of Kurtboy's mesh screen, a set of tusks I like, and 3M tabs that are close but not exact which can be easily swapped out when the correct ones are found (fingers crossed).

I just need some lenses that are up to snuff, the correct screws for the tabs--and some idea of how the tabs fit inside the dome, most importantly the right paints and I'm good to go!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:36 pm 
Random avatar

Now THAT is encouraging. Can't wait to see it, dcarty!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:00 pm 

Qui, the reason for the reluctance amongst some to paint any of the various authentic casts is simply because by doing so you cover what was the outer surface of the original casting they came from and begin obscuring detail. Even a reasonably thin layer of paint can hide interesting stuff on a cast..

SithLord wrote:
There's a couple that I know of in the process/stages of being finished....not sure which one we'll see first...or when...or even if we'll see them, hehe. Whichever one it is, it will be the first of its kind finished since the DJ....

Ohhh, that's pressure Thomas! :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:09 pm 

Cheers for the feedback guys, I love my SL and have already cut out the left eye, hence the side shot :wink:

I just need time to get it painted, and my mrs to realise the importance of getting it done :toothy

Mac - I'm ready for your ninja :blah

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:42 pm 
Site Admin

Vader the one eyed pirate.

Just wondering... why cut out the eyes and install lenses? You already got the original ANH lenses already IN the cast. Just paint them black with a coat of transparent clear red for effect and you got perfect lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:46 pm 

I would imagine the fact that the cast in lenses are THE lenses makes some reluctant to cut them out and finish the helmet...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:57 pm 
Site Admin

Well, as mentioned... do it my way and it'll look perfect.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:49 am 

gonk27 wrote:
Qui, the reason for the reluctance amongst some to paint any of the various authentic casts is simply because by doing so you cover what was the outer surface of the original casting they came from and begin obscuring detail. Even a reasonably thin layer of paint can hide interesting stuff on a cast..

Ya that's why it is ideal to have two copies :lol , one to finish and one to keep raw... :idea

Ya, lenses seem to be a bottleneck...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:50 am 

gonk27 wrote:
Ohhh, that's pressure Thomas! :wink:

Ya? I'm not getting any younger! :ac6

:toothy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:41 am 

CSMacLaren wrote:
It would be awesome if we can see a real life side by side comparison with a DJ. :thumbsup

I'd definitely be interested in that...perhaps at CV....

Brothers....but there are two differences in how the castings came out of the ILM mold...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:55 am 
Site Admin

SithLord wrote:
Brothers....but there are two differences in how the castings came out of the ILM mold...

One already painted and fitted? WOW... that's one major difference! :lol

Just pulling your leg! :blah

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:56 pm 

:la

:wink:

The neck on Vader's right rear is pulled in a bit on the DJ and the left front flaring edge is also a bit closer in to the mask.

I think part of what makes DJ's helmet look so good is that I believe he did indeed match the curvature of his lenses to the originals from the casting...also the paintjob he mentioned I think was quick or sloppy or something like that...but I think that is what makes the look more authentic...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:08 am 

No, it just requires a closer look....

Also if there is gunmetal paint inside the nose it will look wider...but they are actually identical.

Quote:
SL's right lower eyes been intentionally altered to perhaps match the lefts more upward sweep

Can you clarify what you mean by this? Do you mean altering the photo or the casting?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:49 am 
Random avatar

IIRC the SL ANH was out of the mould before the DJ... so if there was modification, wouldn't the DJ be the one?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:41 pm 

I think I understand what illbethere's trying to say. The right eye's lower boundary (right, as you look at it) on each mask looks different.

I think this is what he's saying.

I realize you've already disproven any difference in the lower eyelids, but I'd be curious as to know how this optical effect and difference came to be. Is the incline or slope of the (viewer's) right eye's lower inner eyelid raised in any way whereupon it's catching light and is being mistaken for the right eye's lower boundary?

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next