It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:03 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: Recasting - Good or Bad?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:30 am 

I just caught this over on the SLD. Anyone see Porty's new dome? It is the one on the right next to his old one on the left.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:56 am 

It's nicer. Is this supposedly based off a 20th Century dome? If it is, the mid strip does not strike me as the 20th Century's. Perhaps it's Porty's own sculpted mid strip.

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:27 am 
Random avatar

I doubt that Portumac has sculpted something himself. I would say this dome comes from a different source....and yes....its a huge improvement. His old dome looks just horrible.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:13 am 

Fellas. Your looking at another efx. He didn't even bother to trim off the extra length of the skirt to go from ANH to ROTJ.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:38 am 
Random avatar

No surprise Kent :lol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:09 pm 
Random avatar

CSMacLaren wrote:
JediJeffrey,

I thought I’d share some new photos to show what level of work I actually do, in light the recent posts and exchanges on the topic of recasting.

This is my scratchbuilt ROTS sculpt. None of this is illicit, direct duplication of anyone’s work or product. This mask is 100% made out of 2-part clay. Whereas recasting may take a day, this has been a process of the last 7 years.

Earlier stage:

Today:

I started with a taxidermy clay (yellower to approximate bone in appearance and in hardness) but eventually abandoned it for something far easier to sand (white). None of this is fiberglass or polyurethane. I eventually resculpted my original taxidermy work with the new white material but some of the old clay still shows in a few remaining areas. I occasionally paint the sculpt black to examine surface continuity, hence the black streaks.

Another clay sculpt I’ve done that you had expressed concern for in the past is my “ClayNH”. This is another charity project that I’m sculpting for yet another SW fan on this forum called DarthVaderNut72 but it’s been so long and I’m a bit ashamed with my lack of progress, but I hope to circle back to it.

Earlier shots you saw:

First, the mask may have been sculpted on a small mannequin head, but this does not constitute recasting. When sculpting something for actors to wear, unless extremely oversized like a raptor or werewolf, the Hollywood special effects industry uses a foam bust of a male or female as a size reference before they commit clay, as sculpting out of a massive solid clay block is incredibly heavy and costly.

The “ClayNH” here uses none of the underlying surfaces of the mannequin.

Lastly, the dome is a new sculpt. I used a Hasbro Voice Changer as my armature but as you can see in the following photos, there is up to 1”-1.25” of clay over it.

Using a quarter as a size reference to show how much clay there is packed over the original dome:

In this case, this is not a modification. I’m not using any of the original dome. In fact, at this stage, I could theoretically remove the original dome but the clay is so heavy the flange would distort, so it needs the plastic underneath to hold it up. And were this a solid block of clay, it would be expensive for me, not to mention quite heavy and unwieldly to work with.

Anyway, I hope we can find some agreement and peace on the topic as we are both fellow artists working on what we love.

And yes most people do use some sort of armature to mold on so it's a non-issue.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:14 pm 
Random avatar

Darth Stone wrote:
For the small handful of folks who have been busting my balls over this mould lately, you may find this interesting.

I made this mould over a year ago mostly so that I could have a glossy ANH to display with the one efx had delivered. Even going out and purchasing two acrylic covers to display the helmets. At no point in time did I ever entertain plans of some big offering or having it replace my other moulds in my library. I admit, I had a weak moment and in a bit of desperation I offered a few on the RPF. I was a bit surprised at the reaction it received but I understand better how some look at licensed material and I have complied with their wishes without complaint.

For me this was always meant to be a fun project for myself. Over recent developments and after someone went for a stroll in my photo account and used images out of context to make me out as some sort of evil doer I have decided that having this tool in my library is just not worth the BS that comes with it. I did share a few castings to some who were looking to complete their projects. I never once perused anyone with a lookie what I got after the brief RPF offering. If that is the way some people feel about it I sure as heck am not going to go looking for a fight over it. It just is not that important to me is all.

I have been giving this some thought over the last week. And I have come to the decision to destroy the target on my balls which everyone has taken to kicking at. But before I do this I have made one last copy for myself that will get painted one day to finally complete what I started out to do in the first place. So, after all of the hateful and sleep depriving interrogation that I have suffered, I bring you this,...

This does confuse me still, EFX isn't making them any more so i don't see the problem. Your not taking any money out of their pockets so why the big fuss?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:18 pm 
Site Admin

jedijeffrey wrote:
This does confuse me still, EFX isn't making them any more so i don't see the problem. Your not taking any money out of their pockets so why the big fuss?

They still hold the license. And in my personal view, even when a company lose the license or is long gone, I still think it shouldn't be done, but that's just me.

I think it is a good thing, destroying the mold, in order to put an end to this debate.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:19 pm 
Random avatar

Mr Stone for one my name is NOT Phil..and two how do you put the cat back in the bag after much recasting you HAVE and CONTINUE to do..you ARE making your living off this business correct ? every dime you pay the bills with is coming from illegal sales of these goods so I have no doubt you will defend yourself ferociously to the end correct since your lively hood depends on it. and to be honest thats what we are talking about correct the people that point the fingers the most are either A: selling there own wares either openly or behind closed doors or B: FRIENDS of those selling their wares! and will go to battle for them tooth and nail correct?

I did not post pics of yours out of context you set out to and completed the recasting of an EFX Vader helmet that you have used to start your new line of helmets known as your V2 helmets that is exactly why they are larger and shaped different ..the only real question for me is WHY is this community so hypocritical when it come to the facts presented to them...You can destroy the dome mold all you want the FACT is the deeds have been done..not only that you built all your other new line off of that mold and continue to do so ....WHY have you not been labeled KENT STONE RECASTER as anybody else in the same situation would have been? WHY? THAT is the big question.

"CSMacLaren wrote:
So in light of the fact that you had recast an MR ROTS Vader (not Photoshop by the way - you offered these on RPF), recast a Rubies ROTS armor, recast SPFX's ANH dome (before the admins and I tried to talk you down on that).I'm disappointed you've not ceased your modus operandi and are choosing to be elusive and not give a straight answer.

Seriously... there are boards out there which would bann guys which would do things like that if they would read it like it's written.
As they just call them a Recaster.You even admitted to selling recasts of the EFX on the RPF and also the MR..
in what you called "

YES in fact he would of been banned almost everyplace I have ever seen for this and again why has he not?

You can not put the CAT back in the bag..once a recaster always a recaster isn't that what they say? you have recast so many items and get applause for it why? I read about others here and there oh he just recast a EFX or a Don Post and that is exactly what you your self have done!!

Stone-
" I admit, I had a weak moment and in a bit of desperation I offered a few on the RPF. "
So you sold recast EFX and MR helmets on RPF a Forum in which EFX is apart of?
A weak moment? you said you were one year back logged a weak moment to recast something that IS still being sold and DOES devalue that prop...if you are a year behind and rolling in the cash from your sales how is this having a weak moment??

Did you have a weak moment with the ROTS Helmet? or the SPFX dome? How about the Rubies Armor? another weak moment?
Did this guy GH tell you to recast this SPFX guy?
You stated elsewhere since you did not have a pic of the faceplate with silicone on it doesn't mean you recast it LOL seriously ? I showed how you ripped it apart even getting it ready to be recast!
And you say you took 25% deposits from people for a year wait? what if something happened to you and you can no longer even make good on these items? you would be the way of JBs SPFXs etc??... To all those people reading the only reason I have even decided to post here is to show the pure hypocrisy that goes on ... and how it is more or less Seller vs Seller and the dirt that goes on between to point fingers and gain sales after all there are vacations to go on right Stone? (YES I am an investigator)
I really have no dog in this fight I started out with researching helmets etc I am a investigator by trade and all the info I posted would have been a closed case on recasting by MR stone in a court of law...but as I stated..this is not about a trail and fairness to all its about friendships being made with the sellers as seems Niob is and THAT is the truth..

Another question how much can I alter a TM helmet and it not be considered a recast? how much altering needs to be done? a little? a lot? NO AMOUNT?

If the answer is no amount then NO helmet should be used as an armature in fact why use a helmet as an armature if that must modification needs to be done in the first place?

To the masses just looking read the threads after my post I am correct about the friends zone and all that apply to it. Well I'm done here have fun in the recasting biz .

Did you not think people would find out or about all the the recasting you have done over the years? and continue to do? your whole new line is based on it well to me even your old line was as well.. TTYL

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:39 pm 

jedijeffrey wrote:
And yes most people do use some sort of armature to mold on so it's a non-issue.

Cool. Thanks for acknowledging that. :thumbsup :cheers

- Mac

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:41 pm 

Tardis5 wrote:
Mr Stone for one my name is NOT Phil..and two how do you put the cat back in the bag after much recasting you HAVE and CONTINUE to do..you ARE making your living off this business correct ? every dime you pay the bills with is coming from illegal sales of these goods so I have no doubt you will defend yourself ferociously to the end correct since your lively hood depends on it. and to be honest thats what we are talking about correct the people that point the fingers the most are either A: selling there own wares either openly or behind closed doors or B: FRIENDS of those selling their wares! and will go to battle for them tooth and nail correct?

I did not post pics of yours out of context you set out to and completed the recasting of an EFX Vader helmet that you have used to start your new line of helmets known as your V2 helmets that is exactly why they are larger and shaped different ..the only real question for me is WHY is this community so hypocritical when it come to the facts presented to them...You can destroy the dome mold all you want the FACT is the deeds have been done..not only that you built all your other new line off of that mold and continue to do so ....WHY have you not been labeled KENT STONE RECASTER as anybody else in the same situation would have been? WHY? THAT is the big question.

"CSMacLaren wrote:
So in light of the fact that you had recast an MR ROTS Vader (not Photoshop by the way - you offered these on RPF), recast a Rubies ROTS armor, recast SPFX's ANH dome (before the admins and I tried to talk you down on that).I'm disappointed you've not ceased your modus operandi and are choosing to be elusive and not give a straight answer.

Seriously... there are boards out there which would bann guys which would do things like that if they would read it like it's written.
As they just call them a Recaster.You even admitted to selling recasts of the EFX on the RPF and also the MR..
in what you called "

YES in fact he would of been banned almost everyplace I have ever seen for this and again why has he not?

You can not put the CAT back in the bag..once a recaster always a recaster isn't that what they say? you have recast so many items and get applause for it why? I read about others here and there oh he just recast a EFX or a Don Post and that is exactly what you your self have done!!

Stone-
" I admit, I had a weak moment and in a bit of desperation I offered a few on the RPF. "
So you sold recast EFX and MR helmets on RPF a Forum in which EFX is apart of?
A weak moment? you said you were one year back logged a weak moment to recast something that IS still being sold and DOES devalue that prop...if you are a year behind and rolling in the cash from your sales how is this having a weak moment??

Did you have a weak moment with the ROTS Helmet? or the SPFX dome? How about the Rubies Armor? another weak moment?
Did this guy GH tell you to recast this SPFX guy?
You stated elsewhere since you did not have a pic of the faceplate with silicone on it doesn't mean you recast it LOL seriously ? I showed how you ripped it apart even getting it ready to be recast!
And you say you took 25% deposits from people for a year wait? what if something happened to you and you can no longer even make good on these items? you would be the way of JBs SPFXs etc??... To all those people reading the only reason I have even decided to post here is to show the pure hypocrisy that goes on ... and how it is more or less Seller vs Seller and the dirt that goes on between to point fingers and gain sales after all there are vacations to go on right Stone? (YES I am an investigator)
I really have no dog in this fight I started out with researching helmets etc I am a investigator by trade and all the info I posted would have been a closed case on recasting by MR stone in a court of law...but as I stated..this is not about a trail and fairness to all its about friendships being made with the sellers as seems Niob is and THAT is the truth..

Another question how much can I alter a TM helmet and it not be considered a recast? how much altering needs to be done? a little? a lot? NO AMOUNT?

If the answer is no amount then NO helmet should be used as an armature in fact why use a helmet as an armature if that must modification needs to be done in the first place?

To the masses just looking read the threads after my post I am correct about the friends zone and all that apply to it. Well I'm done here have fun in the recasting biz .

Did you not think people would find out or about all the the recasting you have done over the years? and continue to do? your whole new line is based on it well to me even your old line was as well.. TTYL

Although I've been quoted by Tardis5, I have nothing to do with him. Thought I'd just clarify.

- Mac

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:47 am 

Tardis5 wrote:

Dude, I do not know why you have such a hard on for me. You have not uncovered one thing that I have not already posted or spoken about openly in the past. Rehashing old topics in a way intended to harm me out of your jealous rage is in my opinion actually quite childish.

You speak of reasons to ban someone. I feel that you are lucky that you posted this on the Prop Den as some have recently shown that no one can be banned here for baiting or trolling. It is not only accepted, but at times it even seems to be encouraged.

I may ride a fine line in the gray area of the hobby. However at no time are my actions intended to paint slander onto someones name. Making a copy of a licensed item is one thing. Taking pot shots at me from behind a curtain like a coward is another.

I have recently destroyed a mould that was for all intents and purposes, was in new and perfect condition. The efx was never intended to help me replace anything but rather I looked at it as a art project of sorts to study and learn from. I took one copy from it for myself which I plan to maybe one day to really doll up and pair up with my faceplate to have in my display cabinet. The only thing that the efx has replaced has been a bit of sleep lately.

I took that mould out as it is just not important to me not because of any kind of pressure from someone like you. A few people learned of it and asked me for a copy to complete personal project of their own. Looking back on it all I decided that it is just taking up space in my studio and causing a bit of unwanted friction. If you maybe have some kind of a notion of "one down, dozens more to go"? :blah

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:55 am 

Tardis,

I don't have any special friendships with the admins of this board, and as far as I'm aware, neither does Stone.

I'm not saying your points on recasting are invalid, but it sounds like you have something personal going on here.

- Mac

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:03 am 

:hiding

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:25 am 

Just a heads up.

After Portumac is well known for recasting the efx AnH Vader helmet ,RotS MR helmet DP deluxe helmet etc....
He now had recasted Dark Sides RotS beltboxes and beltbuckle as well.

His newest RotS design can be seen here:

https://www.facebook.com/portumac
https://www.facebook.com/portumac/photos_stream

Everything you see there is recasted from other Products.
The chestarmour is a recasted rubies armour. He made some changes on it, but only changes others had made before him.
So there is no realy new improvment from himself to see, just copied work others made before him.
The chestbox is a rubies recast as well.
Also the shins are recasted rubies .

To all who read this, don't buy anything more from him.
He's steeling other guys work !!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next