It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:56 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Correct Gunmetal For ROTJ Vader Helmet
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:10 am 

Dupli-Color offers two General Motors Gunmetal shades. One is darker than the other. I'm inclined to go with the darker one. Any ideas based on these pics?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Correct Gunmetal For ROTJ Vader Helmet
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:57 pm 

My honest opinion, for RotJ, do not use either of those. I would advise an even darker color -- more of a burnt gunmetal look. Duplicolor used to make Charcoal Metallic DSGM318 which, to my eye, has the correct hue. My main quibble with the paint was, again IMO, the grain of the metal flake was too coarse and needed to be finer.

When I got to see the RotJ Stunt Helmet the gunmetal color was very, very similar to the Charcoal color -- so much so that it immediately reminded me of it. I wish I had been able to go back and check it with a color chip but just wasn't able to swing it.

Cheers,

Dave

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:39 pm 

This is Rustoleum's metallic charcoal. Is that closer to the shade you would use?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:56 pm 
Random avatar

Duplicolor has another hue of Dark Grey metallic, but it doesn't say gunmetal. The official color and paint code are Magnetic Grey Metallic. BTY1619.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:01 pm 

That magnetic gray is nice.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:18 pm 

That Rustoleum looks really great! I'll have to check that out myself. The color has a distinct brownish tinge to it rather than the usual cool blue-ish we see with gunmetal.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:28 pm 

Things is - the duplicolor codes seem to change over time. Though having seen the masks and paint up close, I forget the specifics. However, what I STRONGLY suggest is somehow getting to PEP Boys or some other place that carries the full range of duplicolor and putting all the dark metallics together on the floor (line up the cans). Maybe even bring a gloss black Vader face plate to hold next to them and decide that way.

Remember too - in person it looked darker. On film, when illuminated, it silvers up a lot more with tons of studio lighting on it. So if you get down to the wire I'd lean a little darker if you're on the fence re: ROTJ.

Also, I personally like to avoid the look of too many "flecks" sparkling. Some of the masks had that but it looks funky in person sometimes.

BUT GO TO A PLACE THAT HAS THE PAINT!!!! Try not to guess off the web.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:24 pm 

I'd ask Ron Punter directly if he remembers what he used back then. I'm absolutely no paint expert myself, but I have learned my lessons about Vader paint. If I remember correctly, Ron didn't use automotive paint for the OT Vaders. When I asked a friend at the Studio Babelsberg paint shop to paint an ANH Vader dome for me a few years ago, he didn't use automotive spray paint, but it looked dead on when filmed/photographed.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 3:29 am 

I think I'm going to use the Rust-Oleum metallic charcoal. I really like the tone of it. Nice Vader look. I checked it out at the store. It contrasts very well with the gloss black.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 3:55 pm 

A few pics from my cell phone. I'm testing the relationship between the gloss black and the metallic charcoal. I noticed the natural light versus the flash give a major difference. Kinda answers the question of why Vader's helmets seem so different color wise sometimes in pics and on film. I have to say I'm still inclined to use the metallic charcoal. Thanks to everyone for their input.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 3:59 pm 

Here is the gloss black. The first is without the flash. The second one with.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:02 pm 

Gray without flash and with flash.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:03 pm 

Both without and with.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:16 pm 

That's awesome, thank you for posting the comparisons! I picked up a can of the Charcoal Metallic as well this past Friday and, so far, I really like it. I had hoped it would work for repainting the DP Deluxe I am restoring and, apart from being very glossy, I think it will do the trick. I over-sprayed some onto the ring mount and the match is really remarkable. I want to do another test shot but so far the only way I can tell where the original paint ends and where the Rustoleum begins is by candling and looking for the gloss.

Dave

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:00 am 

I love the glossiness of the metallic charcoal as well. I still have to get my Vader bucket but I figured I could at least do some paint tests in the meantime. I'm on the fence about restoring a Rubies lid or getting a nice unfinished kit. And I noticed in pics it seems that the ROTJ Vader helmets had amber lenses. I always thought they were the smoke color. Any suggestions on the lenses?

Profile E-mail