It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:18 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: True Symmetrical Darth Vader Helmet
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:39 pm 
Site Admin

Was thinking that this deserved its own separate thread from the symmetry study, as it truly is the first time a Vader helmet that is completely 100% true symmetrical has been made. It is not mirrored symmetrical. It is not Frankensteined symmetrical. It is pure and simply true symmetrical, created by averaging both face mask and dome. As of yet, only the face mask has been completed and it truly is interesting to see how it actually looks completely symmetrical.

Onto the helmet itself. Like I suggested to Dan, DynamicMenace, with how he created his symmetrical Stormtrooper sculpt, this one is also utilizing the averaged symmetrical method - though unlike his fantastic piece which was sculpted from scratch by him and his modeler from various references, this one was created from a digital scan, run through software that was able to create the fully symmetrical model.

Since I got into the differences between the various methods to make an asymmetrical object into a symmetrical one in Dan's thread I won't bore you with it here as well, so will just try to keep things short. But I can't say enough how thrilled I am at seeing not only the Vader helmet being made with this method of creating symmetry, but also Dan's excellent trooper as well, which is why, I hope, he's cool with me calling this the TS Vader to compliment his TS Stomtrooper helmet which can be found here: true-symmetrical-trooper-helmet-vt4962.html

Original on the left and averaged symmetrical on the right:

The 3D modeler is hard at work with the dome scan to get things ready for making it symmetrical. It isn't just taking the scan and then computize the result. No, a scan file has too much data for that to work. First the whole object has to be retopologized, which is basically creating a simpler meshed surface which retains all shapes and contours, but gets rid of the complexity of the mesh. I'm sure he can explain the procedure better than me, so I hope he'll chime in if he feels there's a need to explain things further. The surface nicks and paint drips and damage was removed while keeping the edges and shapes sharp, as those details were not needed for the symmetrical model, but would rather be in the way, which is why the symmetrical model has smooth surfaces.

The original plan was to print it in sixth scale, but there may be options for other scales up to full scale down the line. Certainly, a fully averaged symmetrical full scale Darth Vader helmet would be pretty cool. :)

This is a dream come true for me and I can't thank everyone involved enough for helping making this happen.

Post subject: Re: True Symmetrical Darth Vader Helmet
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:47 pm 

:ac10
wow congratulations, that looks incredible Carsten, amazing, I LOVE IT!. of course the film accurate wonky hand sculpted Vader helemt will always get what i love the e tsm but this is how (at least me) i have always imagined the Vader helemt to be, especially if made by the empire with the advanced technological methods they have.
really looking forward to the symmetrical dome to go with this face mask.
and i would love to have a life sized copy of this helemt once you have the dome completed. whenever that may be be down the road.

and i love the name for this, TS is exactly what it is. the TS trooper helmet and this Ts Vader will look phenomenal side by side,, cannot wait to see both of them printed.

again congrats on a job well done, :cheers

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:11 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks man. I'm glad you are cool with me naming this Vader the TS, the same as your TS trooper. They are sorta in the same family after all, even though they are made by different creators. Averaged symmetrical really is "True Symmetrical" - aka TS! :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:38 am 

Great work! The differences are subtle, not an "extreme makeover" so to speak, which is entirely the point. To create a symmetric version that retains the overall look-and-feel of the original. And this does.

It's always a jolt to see the mirrored version of the original TK or Vader. The asymmetries we've gotten used to over the years from one direction then seen in the opposite direction make them look really wonky. Not an issue with these TS versions.

:cheers

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:39 am 
Random avatar

Made out to be very good.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:43 am 
Site Admin

Wondered whether I should show it yet, since it is not final. I'm still discussing a lot of the details with the modeler, but he's really done a marvelous job. I'm overly psyched about this and can't thank him enough for persevering even when my requests seemed impossible. There may be a few or several tweaks left before it is final or it may already be. I'll find out soon, but here, for the first time, is a fully averaged symmetrical Darth Vader helmet, for you all to enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkvR5yQiNcU

This video also accomplishes illustrating quite clearly what I have been trying to explain regarding the process. Sometimes it's just easier to understand it when seeing it. And I'm blown away by the video and really can't wait to get this printed.

How cool is this? To me it is about the coolest ever, as I have long been arguing and promoting this process, and it's been a long time coming and I am really happy that Jon, blipper, stuck with me and created this fantastic piece. Thanks man, you exceeded my expectations and made a dream come true. :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:17 am 
Site Admin

Some screen captures from the video.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:21 pm 

I just saw the video, great work !!!

It's a helmet like this , that we should have seen in Rots movie !

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:12 pm 

Wowwww! The paint and texturing look perfect, really brings this to life. Simply Amazing. Are the paint textures symmetric too? I would guess not but it's hard to tell.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:20 am 

Whether the right side tubes should be black or gunmetal I know is a topic of discussion, but interesting to see in the painted model rotation how the gunmetal does look black from some angles.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:12 am 
Random avatar

That is cool AF as my daughter would say. Love the look of the true symmetrical helmet. Great job putting that video together!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:22 pm 

Great work love it :thumbsup

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:34 am 
Site Admin

Thanks guys. Yeah, the video is really great, and it's all Jon's work. I'm just the receiver of his fantastic work.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:45 pm 

I agree. Very nicely done. The pros should have been more sensitive to the true look of Vader for ROTS, as the creator here most certainly is. I cringe every single time I see the bobble-head. Part of me is glad he looks so different in ROTS though, as it's easier for me to dismiss that movie.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:39 pm 

Zuka Zamamee wrote:
I agree. Very nicely done. The pros should have been more sensitive to the true look of Vader for ROTS, as the creator here most certainly is. I cringe every single time I see the bobble-head. Part of me is glad he looks so different in ROTS though, as it's easier for me to dismiss that movie.

Agreed.