It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:10 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Brian Muir Ultimate Vader
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:50 pm 

We know how this helmet was conceived. It was cast from a ROTJ mold, then Brian changed the widow's peak back to the ANH style, and reduced the chin vent size - also sharped up some of the lines. ...so far as it says on his website.

So a few questions:

Does anyone on the Prop Den own this helmet?
If you do: do you have, or could take, a few good photos of the helmet - subscribing to MacClaren's 6 ft rule - and post them here?

I'd love to see what this helmet looks like (paint style/color/tones/shapes/lines) when it isn't over-lit as is seen (for the most part) on Brian Muir's website.

This one photo on Brian's site looks like the helmet has that "Vader look", but it's also a soft/dithered photo.

Aside from all the grimy detail that's absent from an RB mold casting, are the Brian Muir shapes accurate in regards to the ANH Vader and the SL Helmet? ...Chin vent also looks small compared to the on-screen helmet.

Cheers,

c

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Brian Muir Ultimate Vader
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:01 pm 

I'd like to know more too, I'm looking for some accurate armour, I've decided to finally build a Vader bust, this will be the only Vader piece I have.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:17 am 
Random avatar

Picture is not very telling. It would be cool to own something Muir had a hand in, but not sure it would be the Vader you're looking for. He didn't have a copy of the mold did he? Just an attempt at a recreation of the original?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:13 am 

I haven't found many other pics except what's on Brian's website. My opinion is you wouldn't want to buy this if you're looking for something screen-accurate since it's a hybrid with both ROTJ and ANH features. You would want to buy this if you wanted a helmet/mask with the provenance of it originating from ROTJ, modified to incorporate ANH features from the vision of the master himself, Brian Muir.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:42 pm 

Here is one other person's pic I was able to find on the RPF - I participated in this thread, then kind of forgotten about it. ...still nothing overly substantial in terms of this helmet can be found.

I also found these...

Bantha, Yes, I would LOVE to find a better Vader Helmet, I know there is a better Vader helmet out there. The SL is the one I would personally love to have on my shelf. Unfortunately Thomas seems to have fallen off the face of the Earth - it's going on two weeks since I last emailed him, also sent him a PM. I don't know him other than reading his countless posts on the RPF and the Propden, and a few exchanges via email, but I'm hoping he's alright and in good health.

So if the SL isn't going to happen (would be a bummer, but I'm also a newb when it comes to the collecting the community, so I also understand if there is any hesitation), I'm trying to find something that's available, isn't being recast under the table, and yes, I've seen that SPFX on EBAY for $700, and I admit, it's tempting but I just won't do it because I understand it's a recast of the EFX, which itself, a legit EFX, is being priced at $2,000 US minimum on EBAY. Holy shit, that's a lotta commas. Sorry. LOL

I would prefer a helmet that is screen accurate, and has a lineage traceable back to the movies or at the very least, the RB mold. I want something that can sit next to my RS Trooper helmet in terms of detail and/or authenticity. It's a visceral thing. :lol

Syllander (still trying to figure out everyone's real names), BM didn't have a copy of the ANH mold, he got a cast from the mold of a production used ROTJ helmet, then made the modifications back to ANH.

They suggest the modifications were relatively easy - or at least minimal. It also sounds like the modifications from an ANH helmet to a ROTJ helmet was equally minimal and relatively easy -- so to speak.

If the SL falls through, the Brian Muir is likely the route I'm going to go, because of the above. While it lacks all the grimy and gooky details of the SL, it's still made by Brian Muir, has a traceable lineage back to Brian Muir and (at minimum) ROTJ and even ANH in a round-about sorta way. I'll probably get it repainted if I'm not a fan of the paint. As of right now, based on what I see in the photos, I'm not a fan. But I can't make the final assessment unless it's in my hands.

If I do end up with the Brian Muir, and I do want it repainted, who is one person on this message board that can best replicate the ANH Tantive IV paint? ...or who knows someone who can do it?

Last edited by craigjohn on Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:35 pm 

Also have to add...

If I want a good ANH Helmet with all the detailing where else is there to go other than getting an SL? Is a TD a possibility? I believe Thomas owns that cast as well.

I started gathering and posting a list of current helmet makers out there, at least ones that are fairly easy to find, and preferably that aren't knowing for recasting.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:42 pm 

Just found this Vader Helmet on the RS Prop Forum FB page.

It shares the same size chin vent as the Brian Muir helmet, so this might be another reasonably good photo of the BM Ultimate Vader helmet.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:24 pm 

craigjohn wrote:

It shares the same size chin vent as the Brian Muir helmet, so this might be another reasonably good photo of the BM Ultimate Vader helmet.

It looks pretty good in that photo.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:37 pm 
Random avatar

Guess that's about the thick of it then.
You. Should. Consider. Shorter. Sentences. Lol...

Well, in the same boat as you, new to the community, and too often new guys come in looking for items to grab, and even if they have no bad intentions, you have to have faith they don't purchase and dispose of an item that may fall into the wrong hands. So I too u set stand hesitation when it comes to selling pieces like this.
I've gotten lined up for a Quasi and a Darth Stone, so those will def do for me until a lineage piece comes along like an SL or TM or a Sskunky lid.
Hope you find what your looking for brother!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:51 pm 

Fatherless One wrote:
craigjohn wrote:

It looks pretty good in that photo.

Yup. Very similar to this photo from above...

Gotta think this is the most accurate depiction of this helmet.

I mentioned to someone else, if I want all the grimy details similar to the screen used ANH helmet, I'll throw it down some concrete stairs to add nicks, dents, and scratches. :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:35 pm 
Random avatar

The dome placement can cause the Vader helmet to look so damn different(on any cast). That bottom pic looks great. If you are the test bed for this, we'd get some better pics of this thing to compare.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:55 pm 

The dome placement looks better on the RS photo than Brian's publicity photo's (Brian's dome looks like it's tilting too far forward).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:22 pm 

Possibly another BMUV pic?

There's also this pic of Brian Muir in a helmet...

Could also be an Efx...

Though this Brian Muir life size Vader appears to be topped off with his own helmet (why wouldn't he?)...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 6:18 am 

Here's another pic. Definitely the Brian Muir Ultimate helmet:

Last edited by banthapoodoo on Thu May 12, 2016 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:46 pm 

Yup. You can tell by the small chin vent, the unique shape and depth of the 'Y' crease in the widow's peak (can almost call it a 'V' crease), and the deep wide center stripe on the dome - you can spot this helmet a mile away. Still a good looking lid. :D

Profile E-mail