It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:39 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Current Helmet Makers (2016)...
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:59 am 

This post originally started as a question of "who is currently making Vader helmets", and has turned into a bit of a quest. :wink:

The original Post:

I've been looking high and low for Vader Helmets over the past several months. There's a rather wide array between licensed, fan made sculpts, and fan made authentic casts. It sadly seems most are no longer in production, and only a small handful that are. Aside from the Quasimodo V2 and the Darth Ugly, and who knows if the Anovos will ever see the light of day, what is still available as "made-to-order"?

I'm preferably looking for authentic casts of an ANH and an ESB, as I'd love to something with traceability. Summer is coming up, and instead of spending $$$ on a new camera body and some lenses (which I always do :lol :lol ), I'm socking away for my first Vader Helmet. You only live once.

Is there a list of current makers right now, preferably in the authentic casts category? I'd absolutely love to get both an SL and TM - that'd be my Holy Grail of Vader Helmets - knowing how extremely difficult it is to even get one of those gorgeous pieces. But beyond those, as an alternative, in case I can't acquire either, where the heck do you start? Who do you contact?

GAH! Almost forgot. I've seen Portumac and some other casts on Ebay, there's a finished ANH and armor listed for $700 right now. From what I understand, they're recasting other people's work. I've been in the creative industry for nearly 25 years as both a graphic designer and photographer, and have had my work stolen once. So the second part of this is, who are the recasters? I do NOT want to support that market one bit.

Thanks for the help,

c

Last edited by craigjohn on Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Current Helmet Maker question(s)...
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:14 pm 
Random avatar

Walking down the same road you are. Im a collector, and have become rather obsessed with Vader as of late. I'm not going to really plug SPFX, but he is selling on eBay currently. I got my ESB lid and armor from him yesterday. Casts will need some clean up, but that was expected. The thing you must do if purchasing from anyone with unknown or questionable business practices on eBay is to stick with the system. I had read just enough to know that folks have used his lids for years, but that he had a track record that showed many issues. I went thru eBay, and paid thru the standard PP thru eBay, so I had a leg to stand on if shit went south. At least I knew I could file a claim and probably get my money back.

I've purchased a Quasimodo ESB as a higher end display piece, so looking forward to that.

Personally really interested in Mark's(sskunky) cast of the 20th Century face mask as a lineage piece. Seems the SL's are not actually something produced anymore, so the options are Stone(obviously very very swamped) the two you mentioned, praying someone needs the cash and liquidates a TM or similar, or wait for Sskunky.

Last edited by syllander on Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:09 pm 

This looks like a good deal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Darth-Vader-The ... Swv9hW4HjA

:hehe-err

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:07 pm 
Random avatar

I hope no one bids on this to give me time to buy it now the moment I walk in the front door. That's probably the most accurate rendition I've seen to date. This, my friends, is too good of a deal to pass up....wow, some fucking people....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:16 am 

So here's what I have, and I wish other people would chime in if you know of another helmet maker.

• CFO (Cast From Originals) - ROTJ
• Darth Ugly - ANH, ESB, ROTJ
• Quasimodo V2 - ANH, ESB, ROTJ
• Brian Muir - the Ultimate Vader - ANH
• Anovos - (likely) ESB
• Efx (Injection Molded Plastic) - ANH
• JMC (confirmed). Just got an email from JMC. He will take on new orders once his current list of orders have been cleared. Excellent to know.

Helmets that seem to be frequently available on Ebay
• Efx ANH Limited Edition (sometimes a Legend Edition).
• Master Replicas ROTS

Are these guys known as recasters (Anyone in the know, please confirm)?
• Portumac via Ebay or his Facebook Page - ESB, ROTJ
• SPFX via Ebay? ANH, ESB ****Buyer Beware. Pay via Paypal, nothing else, and submit a complaint if you haven't received your items by day 25.

Forgot about SDS - ESB
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Darth-Vader-sta ... 1919646527

Just thinking about this, regardless of it's accuracy (I don't know enough about it), it would be rather cool to own a Brian Muir ANH helmet. To say you own a piece directly from the man who originally sculpted Vader speaks for itself. ...Man. I could end up with 4 or more Vader Helmets when it's all said and done. Add the ANH, ESB and ROTJ Stormtrooper helmets. Egads, I'm getting hooked, and my wife is going to hate me. :lol

Updated: February 22, 2017.

Last edited by craigjohn on Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:43 am 

craigjohn wrote:
So here's what I have, and I wish other people would chime in if you know of another helmet maker.

• Anovos (likely) ESB
• Possibly a new 20th Century lid from Mark? Hopefully soon?

• SPFX via Ebay? ANH, ESB

Forgot about SDS - ESB

Just thinking about this, regardless of it's accuracy (I don't know enough about it), it would be rather cool to own a Brian Muir ANH helmet. To say you own a piece directly from the man who originally sculpted Vader speaks for itself. ...Man. I could end up with 4 or more Vader Helmets when it's all said and done. Add the ANH, ESB and ROTJ Stormtrooper helmets. Egads, I'm getting hooked, and my wife is going to hate me. :lol

EFX Legend and Limited, still available on ebay and for sale on some forums

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:27 pm 

Hi JKNO, thanks for bringing that up.

I've seen those, and the "Buy It Now" prices are $2,000 to a whopping $4,500 - for the limited edition. I also saw an MR ROTS helmet (not a fan at all) asking $2,400 USD.

I bid on a Limited Edition version that sold for $950, but the auction ended at 2:30 am or so, and I just didn't want to stay up that long.

The list I'm putting together are for current (hopefully reputable) helmet producers for Newbs (like me) who don't have a helmet yet, and are still sifting and winnowing through this vast and rather complex collecting hobby....

Then possibly re-casters and non-reputable producers - or maybe a "Who to avoid list".

...and really, I can't believe how complex and difficult this hobby can be.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:06 pm 

craigjohn wrote:

• Anovos (likely) ESB

Forgot about SDS - ESB

That SDS looks terrible, very inaccurate in every way, save your money.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:39 pm 
Random avatar

Forgot JMC. He doesn't make many but they are pretty fuckng nice. From a DPDLX but you can see it in action in juan's Vader display. Great looking piece.
I'm on his wait list, so hoping to pick up before the summer.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:53 pm 

Fatherless One wrote:
craigjohn wrote:

• Anovos (likely) ESB

Forgot about SDS - ESB

That SDS looks terrible, very inaccurate in every way, save your money.

I definitely share your opinion. I'm just putting it out there as an option because it's readily available.

Everyone has their own tastes, mine unfortunately resides in the SL/TM territory LOL. It's the whole, YMMV. :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:06 pm 

jkno wrote:
craigjohn wrote:

• Anovos (likely) ESB

Forgot about SDS - ESB

EFX Legend and Limited, still available on ebay and for sale on some forums

Added the Efx Legend and Limited Editions along with the MR ROTS helmet to an "Ebay" list.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Current Helmet Makers (2016)...
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:17 am 

The eBay resale listings for the eFx Limited / Legend are crazy high now. This time last year a Limited sold for $675 on ebay near me (and was actually Sold not Ended by the seller). It was in perfect condition. I would expect those to come down once the PCR versions come out, but who knows. I did see a very nice looking JB V2 first pull on eBay that sold for about $875 last week which is not cheap but maybe fair for a completely finished reasonably accurate ESB

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 1:47 pm 

craigjohn wrote:
Are these guys known as recasters (Anyone in the know, please confirm)?
• SPFX via Ebay? ANH, ESB ****Buyer Beware. Pay via Paypal, nothing else, and submit a complaint if you haven't received your items by day

You can find a lot of discussions regarding this both vendors here and on the SLD board.
In some cases the question of 'recasting' depends on certain items in a certain time, in other cases it was an initial recast that has been altered several times. However difficult issues for newbees. I bought myself a SPFX ESB V2.0 in 2011 on ebay not knowing anything but thrilled by its design. It was then a somewhat 'problematic' transaction but finally I received my helmet. Allthough I have to admit that I still love it madly because of its perfect ESB'esque expression.
With todays knowledge I would either consider one of the bookface helmets since I have his armor which is just perfect in terms of acuracy and craftmanship. Or Stone in the US.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 2:25 pm 
Random avatar

Got to also ask if you're only going to buy one lid. I tend to start collecting and like details of many. I'd damn sure purchase an SL if I had the opportunity. Doesn't look like he wants to put more of these out in the world, and I can understand why.
I can say that if you want a nice cast bad enough, either the SPFX or the EFX looks like it'll have to do for the ANH pieces.
I know we've spoke on this subject, so this info is more for anyone new to looking for one.
Back to the waiting game for me, lol.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 3:43 pm 

It's funny, as I was finally promising myself to go through with this quest and get the Stormtrooper and Vader helmets I have always wanted - really, going back to 1977 and 1978 when I was a glossy eye'd kid still marveling at the movies on the big screen - I was all ready to get an Anovos TK and Quasi V2 ESB. I had always loved Vader in the ESB, the QV2 is the one I wanted - it was the best helmet I had seen in the short amount of time I spent on research.

But as it always happens, I get sucked into the research, and I dig deeper. As I continued to do research, joined and started pouring through the plethora of Vader info on the TPD, went through (and continue to do) countless Vader helmet google searches and comparing images, I started pulling back from the Quasi. I love Mac and Book's work, but I just started seeing the details of the more accurate helmets that others didn't provide. ..even the TK helmets. I cancelled my Anovos ST helmet, and ordered an RS ANH helmet. When that arrived, that pretty much did me in. I not only had an appreciation for the details on the RS TK lid, but it created a new appreciation for the detailed/grimy looking ANH Vader helmet.

But it's so damn hard to get a good accurate authentic cast. I had a few email exchanges with Thomas about the SL, but he just vanished! Edit: just heard from him. Good to know he's ok.

I waited a good bit, and as that feeling of inevitability came over me that the SL was becoming an improbability, I was really starting to decide between a Efx LE on Ebay (priced awfully high, but I'd make an offer - though lacking in casting details), the Brian Muir Ultimate Vader (also lacking in casting details), and the SPFX ANH helmet I currently see on Ebay (desperate times :hehe-err). I have a pretty strong opinion on recasting (stemming from plagiarism as a graphic designer/photographer). But the SPFX is recasting an out of production EFX, which is a company I'm not entirely in love with as a whole, so I do have a bit of a double standard here. :nono :wink: However, Phil has seemingly stiffed quite a few people along the way, so I'm reluctant to pad his wallet in any way shape or form. ...unless my desperation reaches a wildly HIGH threshold level.

Because there are so many cool authentic Vader castings that seem to have their own individual special qualities, I still wanted to hold out with hope that something might magically fall in my lap. ...this story is still kind of unfolding. :eek

So no, I don't think a single helmet is going to be enough anymore. :lol I could see myself with 4+ helmets, including that Brian Muir helmet - just so I can say I have a helmet made by Brian Muir. :drool ...though I'll probably have someone repaint it.

I get the feeling this is going to be a long journey. :toothy

Last edited by craigjohn on Mon May 09, 2016 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail