It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:14 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: "Screen Cast" Jango helmet
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:26 pm 
Site Admin

It's only taken maybe 3 years, but I've finally gotten a screen cast Jango helmet. :cool:

I've seen a few different stories behind where the screen casts came from, but either way, they without a doubt came from some kind of production used helmet or molds. I got this particular one from Asok who casts the helmets in cold cast.

This was the first prop project I've worked on in over a year, and as cool as this kit was, I have a problem. When I took the masking tape off the cheek areas, paint came off with the tape. I'm not sure what the best way is to fix this. Can't really mask it and paint it again, because it would most likely leave a few obvious marks afterwards. Any ideas? I used Rustoleum Royale Blue for the cheek areas.

And just to show how cool cold casting is, this is what the helmet looked like before sanding. Lightly sanding is what brings out the shine in the aluminum powder in the cast to make it look like metal. The original Jango armor was cold cast. (don't mind the ugly wallpaper)

Post subject: Re: "Screen Cast" Jango helmet
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:50 pm 
Site Admin

Liquid mask is my suggestion and then spray the affected area again after having sanded it so the pits where the paint got peeled won't show up after the repaint.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:56 am 
Site Admin

Too Much Garlic wrote:
Liquid mask is my suggestion and then spray the affected area again after having sanded it so the pits where the paint got peeled won't show up after the repaint.

Good call on the liquid masking. I've never tried it, but it seems pretty easy to use.

Just for the heck of it, I might try sanding the spots and then brushing the paint on. Kind of curious if that would work, but I doubt it will look consistent with the rest of the paint. I'll most likely need to spray it again.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:48 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah. Brushed on will never look as smooth as sprayed and the paint holes look too large to allow mere touch ups. The sanding will remove the edges where the paint peeled and will make the new application sit flush with the rest, without peaks showing where the paint had chipped.

Since it is a cold cast helmet, you could also just strip the whole thing and do it again, but try the repair approach first.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:01 am 
Site Admin

Well, I tried brushing it, and yeah, it looks terrible. I'll sand it down and probably look for some liquid mask tomorrow. Hope it doesn't cost too much.

Blah, pretty mad that happened. :banger Oh well...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:11 pm 
Site Admin

It shouldn't cost much. You can get it in any hobby shop. The one I got was some purple gooey sticky and a bit thick, but applied well and when dried it goes transparent. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to find it to peel it off, but basically just running your finger across the area will lift it and it holds together really well, so you'll be able to pull the whole thing off in one soft pull. As with anything paint wise and tape... pull lightly.

The reason the paint lifted the first time is that it isn't bonding well with the surface of the piece. Usually, you should use a primer first to get a better grip and possibly sand the area first... and then wait several days before applying the masking to paint the rest - allow the paint to fully cure. If it still peels off with the tape... then it's the bond that's the issue.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:13 pm 
Site Admin

Too Much Garlic wrote:
The reason the paint lifted the first time is that it isn't bonding well with the surface of the piece. Usually, you should use a primer first to get a better grip and possibly sand the area first... and then wait several days before applying the masking to paint the rest - allow the paint to fully cure. If it still peels off with the tape... then it's the bond that's the issue.

I was wondering if it was the lack of primer. Didn't want to use primer because of the cold cast, but probably should've attempted to put a layer of primer for the blue areas at least.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:40 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, to get that shiny metal surface I'm sure you used fine grit sandpaper at the end, to smooth things out - that unfortunately leaves very little for paint to grip onto - the smoother the surface are, the less bond... and you may end up with a finish where the paint only bonds with itself and if damaged or nicked may result in paint being able to just peel off without a trace.

If the repair work fails... strip it, sand the area with a bit more rough grit sandpaper, prime, then possibly sand with a finer grit to make things smoother. Don't worry about that, as paint will adhere to the primer, even if smoother, than it will resin or some other surface. Also, you should consider using the right kind of primer. I don't know how this cold casting works, but usually you should use plastic primer and not the regular primer (I tend to use the regular one as the plastic primer here only comes in clear, but the bond will be lesser because of it...).

Otherwise, nice work on the shining up of the cold cast. The Jango was never a favorite of mine, but I do applaud good workmanship and then it is remarkably cheap for what it is. :thumbsup

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:22 am 
Site Admin

Thanks Carsten. The advice is really appreciated too. :)
I was shocked at the great price Asok is selling these for. He even included pin stripping and an aluminum stock. Everything needed for Jango except a visor.

I picked up a bottle of liquid mask today and tried it by brushing a few layers on another piece of plastic. Nice stuff and easy to cut. I'll use it on the helmet sometime this weekend, and if that doesn't work, I'll strip the helmet and start over. I think this will turn out alright though.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:37 am 
Site Admin

Yeah, once you start down the path of liquid masking, you'll never understand why you didn't start using it sooner! :thumbsup

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:27 pm 
Site Admin

Success! The repair work came out beautifully. Also became a fan of liquid masking. :)

Now just need to fix up the ear cap and range finder, paint them, cut out a visor, and then it'll be done. :thumbsup

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:34 pm 

Looks awesome, man. Do you have a pic of it right after sanding it but before paint?

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:53 pm 
Site Admin

CSMacLaren wrote:
Looks awesome, man. Do you have a pic of it right after sanding it but before paint?

Regretfully, I don't.
It did look pretty cool glimmering in all silver/metal before the paint.

Been a bit too busy to finish the helmet, but I'll definitely put up pictures once it's done. :thumbsup

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:51 pm 
Site Admin

So ummm, yeah... I'll get back to finishing this at some point. :lol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:23 pm 
Site Admin

Good sport. :thumbsup