It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:46 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Vader Reveals - ESB & RotJ
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:12 am 
Site Admin

The differences between the two!

ESB:
3-piece system - dome and upper facemask (fused together?), lower facemask (chin section w both tusk tubes) & neckbrace.

RotJ:
4-piece system - dome, upper facemask (w upper tusk tube), lower facemask (chin section w lower tusk tube and tip of upper) & neckbrace.

We all remember the scene where it was lowered onto his head in ESB, but what most people may not realize is that we get a perfect frontal shot right after when he turns around and talks with the officer - you can see the poorly attached upper facemask, with a gap at the bottom edge of the mouth. Sadly I don't have a picture showing that, but anyone checking will see it.

Post subject: Re: Vader Reveals - ESB & RotJ
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:31 am 
Site Admin

ImageImage

Click to enlarge

OP

Courtesy JT

Reviews statuemodellarge-figure-review-section-vf203.html

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:35 am 
Site Admin

Click to enlarge:

Image Image Image

*EDIT* @Paul: :lol two minds, same thoughts....your pics are much better though. Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:25 pm 

Great pics guys and thanks for starting the thread Carsten. :thumbsup

Ok so, what the hell happened to the ESB reveal. I'm guessing it's in private hands because it isn't it the archives, as best I know, and there aren't many pics of it available anywhere.

There's a difference in the length of the necks. The ROTJ reveal has a shorter neck compared with the ESB reveal.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:42 pm 

Thats to weird. I was just looking at pics of him with the helmet off the other day some where. I kinda made an off handed mental note about the upper tusks showing with the brace on. Then driffed off onto something else....AADD...its a bitch. :lol Great shots.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:06 pm 
Random avatar

That ESB shot has always bugged me with how far they crammed the helmet under the armor.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:22 pm 

Qui-Gonzalez wrote:
That ESB shot has always bugged me with how far they crammed the helmet under the armor.

Exactly. You'd think there would have been a "CUT! Can someone please adjust that helmet? OK rolling!" :lol

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:51 pm 

That's weird.

Is it just me or does it appear to have a thick bottom lip like the ROTJ stunt, and the nose paint only covers the flat of the inside nose area and not the surrounding inside walls?

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:04 pm 
Random avatar

It's just you. As was stated earlier, it looks like the two pieces were not rejoined together. That is partly why Carsten started this thread.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:26 pm 

I see. I'm still catching up on reading after coming back from a little vacation time.

So the mask's upper half is part of the helmet (dome). Looks like there's bit of the Sideshow thing going on.

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:40 pm 
Random avatar

Darth Karo wrote:
Great pics guys and thanks for starting the thread Carsten. :thumbsup

Ok so, what the hell happened to the ESB reveal. I'm guessing it's in private hands because it isn't it the archives, as best I know, and there aren't many pics of it available anywhere.

There's a difference in the length of the necks. The ROTJ reveal has a shorter neck compared with the ESB reveal.

The ESB reveal doesn't exist anymore. The neck brace and some parts were used on the ROTJ reveal, which was created to allow us to see more of Shaw's face. The ESB reveal split at a different point than ROTJ, obscuring the sides of Prowse's face.

Dan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:46 pm 
Site Admin

Exactly! :thumbsup That's why there's only this frontal shot, so the sides of Prowse's face aren't exposed.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:50 pm 

I like the look of it from behind. Would have been real interesting to see from the front. Probably looked pretty cool. Although the mask attached to the dome would look a bit odd.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:59 pm 
Site Admin

The reveal scene was probably done with a smaller guy - possibly Anderson - which is why the mask rests below the armor and not above it. When it is above again it is clear they switched to a regular hero mask and Dave Prowse.

Also... I don't think the reveal had its nose painted silver. It doesn't look that way, at least. Just light reflection off the gloss surface.

It would make sense they re-used the lower half with the neckbrace for the RotJ reveal and cut off everything above the lower tusk tube and then cut up another mask for the top part. Could be one of the cast helmets Brian Muir's friend was talking about.

SL, there is something I've been thinking... do the SL have those details you pointed out on the RotJ hero, stunt and reveal? And could it be likely that the reveal and the other RotJ helmets discussed came from that mold (ILM mold) and not the UK mold? I know the DJ has them.

SithLord wrote:
Both features are not on ANH or ESB castings.
The same features are on both the original ROTJ reveal and stunt masks, indicating that those features were inherent to what I believe was a common mold these two masks shared. A ROTJ mold.

Last edited by Too Much Garlic on Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:03 pm 

Anakin Starkiller wrote:
The ESB reveal doesn't exist anymore. The neck brace and some parts were used on the ROTJ reveal, which was created to allow us to see more of Shaw's face. The ESB reveal split at a different point than ROTJ, obscuring the sides of Prowse's face.

Dan

That makes perfect sense. I wasn't sure what it was that I was seeing on the sides of the face:

So I assume the top portion of the faceplate that was secured to the dome was destroyed? Also the wrap around seems to come forward a bit, so I assume that when we see the frontal shot, it's an altogether different faceplate?

Profile E-mail