It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:13 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Looking for a ANH Vader helmet. Can help ?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:07 pm 
Random avatar

Hi,

my first post here in this forum. I've been collecting Star Wars items since many years, mostly Statues, 12", books and the old vintage things. Now i want to start with props because i think these are the most impressive things you can collect and i always dreamed to own a lifesize vader and a boba. A few weeks ago i started with my boba costume and i've planed to start with a vader helmet in the middle of the next year, perhaps earlier.
I've seen a lot of great helmets here in the forum and on starwarshelmets but i can't made a decision for me from which propmaker i should order and how much i have to invest in this project. Any tips for me ? I am looking for a ANH helmet and he should look movie accurate. I've looking on ebay too, but i am not sure if this is a good idea because as i read in this forum its possible to buy rubbish or helmets which are not the one on the pictures of the auction. On ebay i noticed helmets and full armors from a propmaker called xtrm. The pictures look great, although it should be ROTJ. What do you think about his work. Hope you can help me, thanks.

Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:37 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Nick and welcome to the forum. Hope you'll enjoy it here.

Well, as you can see from the list I have made available here on the forum, there are many different types of Vader helmets available from various makers. All depending on what you are willing to pay and how accurate you want it to be, there are still a lot of options.

My personal favorite is the SPFX, as I think it is the helmet that the most captures the look from the movie. The GH is also a nice helmet, and I especially like the look of the VaderMaker V1, as it is the meanest looking helmet of the bunsh - but almost impossible to get ahold of, as their owners rarely let them go and I can understand why.

I'm sure more can chime in regarding what helmets are out there... and then you can decide which you like the best and want to spend your money on - but I have to advise you to be cauteous, as there have been issues with some of the helmet makers that you need to be aware off when contacting them and possibly buying from them. I'm not trying to discourage you... just so that you won't get burned.

Hope you find what you are looking for and please don't hesitate to ask more questions, as we are here to help! :thumbsup

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:49 pm 
Site Admin

Okay XTRM is a good vendor. I have a great leather suit and cod from him which was not cheap but I like to have the best of things. As for his whole package, I think this is good value for money if you want the ROTJ look. However his standard porty helmet is superior to the reveal. It's not a perfect helmet IMO but I have isolated it as in my top 5 ROTJ helmets. The armour is good additionally but not screen accurate. I think the whole cost in relation to accuracy is beneficial as an overall but if you pay a bit more you could end up with a better look. That said it is still a nice package but far away as possible from ANH Vader.

First off if you want ANH Vader look I recommend. SPFX - PM him as he is on this forum. His helmet with the JB V2 is the best IMO.

Armour - Ghost Host or JB. The JB is cheaper, Although you need to stipulate the weatherd look. I have his ESB one and it's great. I have contact if you need so PM me.

The suit from XTRM is one of the best out there along with the cod piece.

Chest Box From Gino. Seriously not cheap and rare to find although I can point you in the right direction.

As for the rest, thats the easy part :wink: .

If you go for accuracy expect to pay for it, thats all I can say as this hobby can be very expensive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:45 pm 
Random avatar

Hi,

first of all, thanks a lot for your help. Great you take your time to help me in this "problem". I think the SPFX is a really awesome helmet and i enjoyed it to have a look at this helmet at some of your collections. I think this could be a good helmet for me if i be able to effort this one. I think i will send a PM to SPFX for some questions. Thanks for the moment guys.

Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:59 pm 
Site Admin

You are most welcome.

Possibly more could chime in on the various parts of the armor and costume for the ANH look... as it really pays to do some research prior to buying as it is not always the most expensive pieces that are the most accurate... and also... the other way around - cheap usually means products of lesser quality, in most cases, so it pays to look around and get advise from people who have bought or know some info on various sellers.

I will not advocate buying one helmet over another, I just offered my own personal preferences, as you are the one who have to decide which helmet you think you like the best. Hope you decide on a really cool looking helmet and make sure to post pictures of it here, when you get it.

Are you going for 100% screen accurate look? If you are, then there are some details you might want to look for when scouting around for a helmet. The most prominent thing with the ANH helmet is to get one that is gelcoated, as that is what was used on the original screen used helmet - at least from what info is available at the moment. And only the gunmetal was painted on, as the black was simply the original buffed up gelcoat color. There are also lense color to be aware of... some say they were grey - there's some reference pictures that suggest just that - while others say they were amber/dark bronze... difficult yes, but again... it's all up to what you like and what you want.

Good luck and have fun! :thumbsup

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:28 pm 
Random avatar

Hi again,

i am looking for a really movie accurat helmet and i have to make a good decision in ordering a helmet because i am not able to buy a dozent of helmets until i find the real one for me. If the helmet i prefer to order is to expensive in the moment i have to stop the project or to put a size my money for a few month more. But a movie accurate vader is certainly "the thing" i am dreaming about years and it would be the proud of my collection.
I'v sent a PM to SPFX and i hope he could help me to find the helmet i'm looking for. And be certain, if i get my helmet i will post it with many pictures :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:40 pm 
Site Admin

Well, here's the thing. Depending on who you ask, here and elsewhere, there is a broad disagreement as to which helmet is the most screen accurate ANH Vader helmet. Several in this forum will most likely point towards the SPFX, myself included, while others would point to the JB... and on other forums, such as the RPF people would point at the GH as the most accurate. It really pays to be careful... and not always be swayed by others, as personal bias and preference factors into their opinions. It is really a jungle out there, when it comes to the ANH Vader helmet... and a lot of bad blood between the helmet makers.

Choose with your heart and mind... and don't pay on good faith alone... as there has been "problems" of that kind too. I cannot stress how you need to be careful... it really IS important as I would be saddened if you got burned... for any reason. Make sure that the helmet is ready and is exactly how you want it.

Again... I'm not trying to scare you... :lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:49 pm 
Site Admin

Yep NHM is right, ANH Vader can be a touchy subject when giving your opinions. Luckily for me I will happily state my opinion as it is my own.

It's always best to be safe and not share your views too strongly for risk of offending or flaming. The Replica Prop Forum is renown for strong views and I think the majority support Ghost Host, which is a really good helmet but lacks some accuracy, mostly in the faceplate etc.... Too be honest in some regards everyone has some cause to state a flaw in everything.

I think you made the right choice to PM SPFX he does a great ANH with the correct weatherd painted on look . As I said there are others around additionally. Look at Star Wars collector's ANH in the Vader gallery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:57 pm 
Random avatar

Iam not scared and i wont underestimate the problems buying a accurate helmet. If SPFX could make me a helmet and am i be able to pay for it he is my first choice. JB's helmet looking great too, but i was on his (?) site http://www.x-props.com and sent a mail to him. At the fifths try i got answer and as i asked for prices a got no answer anymore. I also read a lot of bad stories about his support service (some costumers has to wait 3 years for a paid helmet !!!). But if i will buy my helmet i will post it in this forum and perhaps i need a few tips to get an accurate vader ( i love the Tantive-Look too). Does GH make helmets or does he stop his production? I've read this in a post of another forum. GH is great too.

Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:03 pm 
Site Admin

GH does not make helmets anymore, You can get them from contacts on other forums but not cheap for one completed etc...

JB has a better reputation now, as he is bucking his ideas up he also has additional help nowdays. As I said PM me if you need to.

I would personally view all the helmets as IMO that's the most important prop, pay extra and get what you want IMO. Out of the 3 that have been highlighted. Phil (SPFX) delivers the goods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:20 am 
Random avatar

I've seen a few more pictures von SPFX helmets on yourpropscom. There is a picture from an ANH helmet with Ghost Host Chest Armor. Looks fantastic. If its possible for me to get them for a price i could pay one time, this is my first choice and that would be the proud of my collection. But now i have to wait for a PM from SPFX.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:54 am 
Site Admin

Hi Nick,

If screen accuracy is as important to you as it is to me, go for the SPFX.
IMO it's the only one that captured the Tantive IV look as it was meant to be.

But than again, I'm no Vader expert (yet) :wink: :lol

Just my two cents...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:03 am 
Random avatar

Hi,

as i said, i wait for PM and hope it will be possible for me to get one.
I think the only one in the forum which is not an expert is me :pale
Today in the morning i enjoyed pictures of your great collection. You collect statues, too. Thats great, but the most i like are surely the great SPFX Helmets.....dream.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:20 am 
Random avatar
Hey Niob

What do you think of this helmet?

This is the almighty SPFX helmet, crowning of, the best ANH Vader suit in the world :toothy LOL

Dan
visit my site for more pics of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:36 am 
Random avatar

Hi Dan,

impressive, most impressive. T think this is every vader fan's dream. Absolutly superb. Congratulation to that costum. Sure, i'm not a expert
but .....this is Darth !!! I will be visit your site tomorrow, i'll have to go to work now :protest