It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:27 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: ANH Vader helmet photo thoughts...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:38 am 

GundamZeppelin posted this in his showoff thread and I thought I'd share some thoughts about it...just because I love this photo...

I'm not sure when exactly during the shooting schedule this was taken (earlier on on the Death Star?). It could be the lighting but the tusks both look similarly bright metallic, not like later on when the right (Vader's right) tusk is smaller and black. Another thing is...what is up with the chin vent? It looks like there is a smaller sharper offset vent overlapping the original vent outline. I can't tell if that was dressed up in the photo or was really there. It almost seems like it was done to the photo. Also, if you look at the right front cheek face where the paint damage would be, it's sort of a uniform neutral grey color...almost like the paint damage was hidden although that damage would have come later on in the Tantive IV scenes and the pickups, so it's not surprising it's not there, but it still looks strange as there's still a pattern of reflectivity there as one can see in the detention cell scenes.
Also, the neck chips are in different places. There's a big one on Vader's right side and on the left side there's some indication of repair to a chip that is seen in other scenes (unless that is just light reflecting). Also, this photo gives a good impression of the correct relative proportions of the helmet with respect to the armor....
Look at the shine to that helmet. Also look at the width of the chestbox with respect to the center section of the armor....pretty big.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:39 am 

Beeeuuteefulllll...... :)

Post subject: Re: ANH Vader helmet photo thoughts...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:29 pm 

It's one of my favourite photos from the book! it's a pity there aren't a few more of Vader in there.

Jeremy

Last edited by gonk27 on Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:08 pm 
Random avatar

full shot

its a cool pic

and come too visit the archives for more pics.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:44 pm 

In case anyone was wondering who the two guys are in the photo - the guy with his back to the camera is John Mollo,costume designer, and the guy to the right is Ron Beck, head of wardrobe. I last saw Ron 2 years ago and he was 82 and looking very good on it. Funnily enough he was my neighbour for 21 years.

Brian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:33 pm 

Wow thanks Brian, it is a real priviledge to have you here to be able to give us the who's who of the SW crew. I wish we could get Ron on this forum LOL, but it probably is not his cup of tea. Still it would be great to interview him sometime about his own experiences working with the costumes.

Thanks so much Jay for that scan. I don't have the book funny enough so it's really appreciated. It's just a fantastic shot. That's a nice website you have as well I'll check it out. Somehow I find b&w more appealing for Vader. I still hold out that somewhere in the LFL archives there will be more photos of Brian working on the sculptures....

Wow I just noticed I can see the grill pattern on that mask....time to get to work hehe. I also now see that it was just a play of the lighter/darker areas on the chin vent....but that right front cheek is really clean...nice to see.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:16 pm 

What do you think caused the black tusk? Silver paint wearing off exposing a black tusk or black paint applied to a silver tusk?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:37 pm 

vaderman wrote:
In case anyone was wondering who the two guys are in the photo - the guy with his back to the camera is John Mollo,costume designer, and the guy to the right is Ron Beck, head of wardrobe. I last saw Ron 2 years ago and he was 82 and looking very good on it. Funnily enough he was my neighbour for 21 years.

Brian

That is Great to know!

clutch wrote:
What do you think caused the black tusk? Silver paint wearing off exposing a black tusk or black paint applied to a silver tusk?

I would think it was black paint on a sliver tusk, odds are IMO the paint pleaded off. If you look at the belt boxes the condition is diffrent depending on the screen shot threw out the film. Some shots there is no wear others there is heavy wear. That's just my take on it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:52 pm 

I am almost 99% sure I know exactly what the 'tusks' were and indeed - why a black one turned up. Should I start a new thread? Or do I lay it all down here?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:09 pm 

HAL9000 wrote:
I am almost 99% sure I know exactly what the 'tusks' were and indeed - why a black one turned up. Should I start a new thread? Or do I lay it all down here?

Lay it down here!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:22 pm 

Lay it down bro.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:50 pm 

Yeah, I don't care where you post it, let's hear the scoop HAL!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:39 am 

Ya Hal I'd be interested in hearing it.

To me the black tusk looks like a replacement...it seems smaller and more knob-like than the silver tusk...but I agree that there's black paint on it...whatever it is...switch to a table lamp? :lol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:53 am 

Okay (rolls up sleeves and takes deep breath)...

Before we start, I should point out that all of my research is based on the tusks in this
scene...

So, the first thing i thought these tusks were was maybe a spark plug tip, like these...

(cue Arnie's voice when shooting dick miller in the gun store) WRONG!!!!

Next, whilst having a particularly delicious meal one night I thought perhaps they were from the tops of salt and pepper mills, like these...

WRONG!!!!

More ridiculously I even considered that they may have been some type of vintage push pin,

WRONG!!!!WRONG!!!!WRONG!!!!

Then whilst visiting a friend at abbey road studios one day i noticed a type of jack called a bantam plug and the tip looked familiar - looks like this...

Getting closer (i thought) was the discovery of the Sam Browne stud (which the boba fett dudes among you will be only too familiar with)

WRONG!!!!

so then when i was least expecting it (of course!) I was in the DIY store looking for bits when I notice their range of fancy hinges.
Woah... I says to myself, what the hell is that on the hinge.
Well - mr google to the rescue and these are known as 'hinge ball finials' (maybe that is where the name fennel came from??)
anyway enough talking here comes the finial parade...

oh and they come in imperial black too.

so, like i say, i'm 99% sure these are found items and that these are a very good contender. Why? because they come with a thread at their
base. There are many many variations on the ball finial design and while i may not have illustrated a precise match I'm sure it's out there.

please let me know your thoughts

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:28 am 
Site Admin

It's possible but naturally they were modified as they look different not unless they come in such a range that it is a straight found item that was put on like a couple of Vader things were?

Reviews statuemodellarge-figure-review-section-vf203.html