It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:04 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: help with identifying this vader lid
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:00 am 

theres a brother on the 501st forums selling this sucker for 650, and i'm on the fence on whether or not to pick it up. the neck flare on the "vader left" is leaving me uneasy and suspecting DP. he says he doesn't know the maker, but that there was a run of only 16 made, if that helps. it was the lid used on stage at C3 with sansweet.
pics!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:29 am 
Site Admin

It very well could be a DP... though, it could also be a much more sought after helmet... I don't know... but to really be certain, try to get a picture of the face without the dome, as the dome mount is usually a tell-tale sign as to what the helmet is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:41 am 
Site Admin

It sure smells like a DP...Image

Some pics without the dome and from different sides/angles might help identifying this helmet.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:29 pm 

It's a JB ROTJ.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:22 pm 
Site Admin

Fatherless One wrote:
It's a JB ROTJ.

Really? You sure.

I need a picture of one of those for the Name That Maker Vader Helmet topic! :lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:37 pm 
Site Admin

Fatherless One wrote:
It's a JB ROTJ.

What are the dead give aways we missed?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:19 pm 
Random avatar
Fatherless One wrote:
It's a JB ROTJ.

Yep JB :thumbsup

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:42 pm 

I only know as I'd seen the side profile photo before (from JB himself I think), that was almost two years ago. Carlo also used that shot in his Ebay adds when he was selling them for JB.

I beleive JB copied GH's ROTJ (and modded the dome attatchment ring to look different from the GH, GH's mask has the two step ring, JB's has the DP Deluxe style ring).

I have both to compare hence my statement.

Alan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:44 pm 
Site Admin

Oh... cool info. Well... is it a good helmet for a good price, then?

Also... another request to share photos of all those helmets still missing to be added to the List That Maker list - to all... :thumbsup

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:20 am 

thanks for the info guys, i'm all over this one :as2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:37 am 

Hey everyone!

Yeah, I think that's a JB ROTJ. I believe it was made by taking a DP Deluxe face, cutting the chin vent to match the GH ROTJ, and pairing it up with the ROTJ dome that came from the 20th Century.

Hope that helps!

MJC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:23 am 
Random avatar
Fatherless One wrote:
I only know as I'd seen the side profile photo before (from JB himself I think), that was almost two years ago. Carlo also used that shot in his Ebay adds when he was selling them for JB.

I beleive JB copied GH's ROTJ (and modded the dome attatchment ring to look different from the GH, GH's mask has the two step ring, JB's has the DP Deluxe style ring).

Alan.

I 100% agree with Alan.....
Hey Alan maybe you can show some side by side pics of the two?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:56 am 

Cantina_Dude wrote:
Hey everyone!

Yeah, I think that's a JB ROTJ. I believe it was made by taking a DP Deluxe face, cutting the chin vent to match the GH ROTJ, and pairing it up with the ROTJ dome that came from the 20th Century.

Hope that helps!

MJC.

Nope, DP Deluxe mounting ring, GH ROTJ face and GH ROTJ dome. I'll stand by my statement until proven otherwise. Btw that's not meant to be disrespectful MJC, I know you work with JB.

Last edited by Fatherless One on Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:59 am 

SPFX wrote:
Fatherless One wrote:

Alan.

I 100% agree with Alan.....
Hey Alan maybe you can show some side by side pics of the two?

Will do pal,

It'll have to wait a while though, it's (JB ROTJ) undergoing an "enhancement" :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:48 pm 

Fatherless One wrote:
Btw that's not meant to be disrespectful MJC, I know you work with JB.

Well that's not quite accurate. I haven't worked with JB since July of 2005, for reasons I won't go into here, but I can assure you I have no loyalties to him.

All I'm basing my statement on is that while working with him, I discovered a mold of a DP Deluxe in the shop. Having studied the face of the JB ROTJ while working on them, I noticed various details that were different from the GH ROTJ. For example, the left cheek tubes are more "sucked in" on the GH than the JB (and DP Deluxe for that matter). Also the mounting system is exactly the same as the DP Deluxe, and I do think it would be quite difficult to seamlessly meld that to GH face and have it line up perfectly to the DP. The neck flare also differs from the GH and exactly matches the DP Deluxe (or at least the one JB molded). Really the only thing that matches up to the GH is the chin vent. I think he traced the GH chin vent and cut it out on his DP Deluxe to make it look more accurate to the originals.

As for the dome on the JB ROTJ, I'm pretty sure it came from the 20th Century helmet that JB recast for his ESB (and ANH V2) face. The 20th Century dome is definitely an ROTJ one, and it does differ from the GH. The 20th Century dome is softer than the GH for starters. Also, the GH dome's flange flares out a little more on one side than the other, while the JB is a little more symmetrical.

So I think we agree that JB's claims of his helmet being directly cast from an original that he owns are false, and that he has also made unauthorized recasts of other peoples' work to produce it. I just think that he recast some different people than you do! My thinking is that he would go with the simplest route, which I think would be what I outlined here.

Anyway, I'm just trying to share the info I have gathered, so do with it what you will! :wink:

All the best,

MJC.