It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:20 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Guide To Buying Your Replica Props Safely On-Line
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:15 pm 

Here are some tips that may help you prevent losing your hard earned cash when buying on-line.

I would suggest being careful and NOT buying direct from some sellers.

Ebay (or similar auction house or other reputale company) would be safest as you have someone to complain to if you don't receive your purchase.
Paying via Paypal (or again a similar service provider) is also recommended for the same reasons. But please become familiar with Ebay and Paypals terms and conditions as you only have a limited time in which you can take action for un-delivered items, for example I think you may have only 45 days after purchase to lodge a complaint with Paypal.
Your credit card company may also be able to help you resolve an issue with a seller, again check with your credit card company.

Please do yourself a favour and do your homework before spending your hard earned cash. Always prepare for the worst outcome, I hate to say these things but this hobby can involve large sums of money and some sellers have been known to keep customers waiting for years (I kid you not), and there are even cases of people never receiving there purchases.

Buying on-line IS risky business!!!

I hope this helps somebody avoid being duped by the many crooks there are out there waiting for your money.

Please feel free to add any feedback or comments here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:31 pm 
Site Admin

I agree Alan.

Saying that more often than not it is safe but there are some problematic people out there.

As this is a hobby to many there are often delays and it;s very stressful and annoying but it's the reality of the so called side line business.

I have been really pissed with a number of vendors in the past but they eventually come through, some quick, some slow.

I know myself for the first time ever I am in the process of releasing a product and I am in a rush to get it done so I do not let people down. I hate delays and excuses so I am completely upfront and honest. As it stands I have been delayed already by 2 weeks and sometimes real life gets in the way. Still I believe a standard of service needs to always accompney a product, and that is a relaistic time frame and very good communication as well as the product it's self of course.

Reviews statuemodellarge-figure-review-section-vf203.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:40 pm 

I fully understand, projects in this hobby will often run "over time".

But unless you know the seller personally or are willing to possibly lose your money completely (sometimes A LOT of money) play ot safe.

We know you're okay :), it's some others we need to watch out for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:43 pm 
Site Admin

Good guide. Think you should make it a *sticky*! :thumbsup

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:44 pm 
Site Admin

As I said I agree, it's a good idea to highlight this for some of the new members, :cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:53 pm 

darthvaderv wrote:
As I said I agree, it's a good idea to highlight this for some of the new members, :cool:

Precisely who it's aimed at :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:13 pm 

Fatherless One wrote:

But unless you know the seller personally or are willing to possibly lose your money completely (sometimes A LOT of money) play ot safe.

Sometimes it is such a crapshoot, whether the seller or buyer are known as "honest" people. I've had a few transactions where the sellers came highly recommended, but I had some troubles with them. I'm still waiting on a part from a "reputable" seller for over 4 months.

Then you have an experience that you never expect and it renews your faith in people. When I purchased my VM2 from an RPF member, I was sending him installments over the course of a month. I was about 10 days from making my last payment to him, which was pretty substantial. The helmet was being shipped from Germany, so he knew it would take a few days to get to me. Well, he sent the helmet to me prior to receiving my last payment. It arrived pretty much on the same day that I was making my last payment to him. I felt as though I was dealing with myself and the trust was there from the beginning. It was one of the most pleasant experiences ever buying a prop from someone. I'll have to say though that this was the exception rather than the rule, but I sure wish they could all be like this.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:17 pm 

Great news, I love a good news story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:20 pm 

The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon;
the vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:23 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah I have had that also. "Buy from him and you wont be sorry". Err I was as I waited a loong time additionally for that item to arrive.

I have bought off many people on the forums and I would still say though that 80% of transactions have been pretty smooth for me, maybe I've been lucky?

Tell you what is annoying the hell out of me is these really expensive customs charges, I have had to pay 3 this year already and it's really unfair. I paid £111.74 approx $200.00 for an item from the US yesterday :angry4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:19 pm 

Fatherless One wrote:

IMO...as soon as you've agreed to accept money for an item or service, you've entered a "BUSINESS CONTRACT". Despite the personal baggage, the "vendor" still has an obligation to deliver said item or service in that agreed timeframe. If not, the arrangements should be made well ahead of time so that both parties are aware of the delay and alternate delivery date. Then that alternate delivery date should be honoured.

That's it....it's not rocket science.

If more people dealt in a fashion that they themselves would like to be treated, we wouldn't have so many of these f*ck ups!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:38 am 
Random avatar

I think things will be getting better in the future, as more of us have experienced what it feels like to have to wait without updates and also to be burned. We therefore make an extra effort to make our transactions as sellers as smooth as possible.
Recent examples of this are my transactions with people like KevVader, Fatherless One, and Darthvaderv. Great communication and service.

Vince

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:39 am 
Random avatar

Oh, you too, JRX. Thanks.

Vince

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:30 pm 

Thankyou for saying so :)

Post subject: